What Are Your Views About Nylabones?

hisui

Hi,

I am thinking about being a distributor for some pet products soon, & nylon chews is some of the products available, but i am sceptical about their safety. They are after all flavoured plastic & i have read some news about dogs ingesting & sick/dying as a result. I definately do not want to offer products to dogs that i would be wary to give to my own.

I personally hate plastic & do not even buy plastic made toys for my girl, because i am aware of BPA leaching out & causing havoc on hormones - which applies mainly for humans since plastic is everywhere in our lifestyles now.

I would like however, to hear peoples views about nylon bones- perhaps i am just being paranoid?

Thank you for your time!!

Hisui

I've provided my girls with Nyla bones, due to their being 'sturdy' and long-lasting. My girls are not heavy chewers, but we did have one incident - thankfully I monitor toy use and nothing bad happened. Ryn had one, and chewed on it regularly. What happened was the central portion of the bone is one color of plastic, the ends another. The ends screw on to the central portion. During the incident, the end came unscrewed from the central portion. The end was of a size that could have been swallowed and to be honest, it would not have been a good situation.

Since that incident, I don't provide them with this type of toy.

Instead, I provide antler type chews for them, tossing them in the trash when they reach a size where they are small enough that they can be entirely in the mouth of the husky - in other words, when they are 8 inches or shorter.

We used to give ours Nylabones all the time as they lasted a really good long time (unlike some of the rubbish nylon which we avoid) - and took them away when getting chewed down - and obviously only when we were around to keep an eye on them and then they'd go away until the next time. Never had any safety concerns. Unfortunately, we used to give bones before that (and they're even harder - like those Antler bars) and between the two, our 6 year old GSD has worn her teeth right down (she does tend to obsessively gnaw anything chewable). So now we only give tough rubber bones/balls

Mine won't chew nylabones. She used to get high quality antlers, but she broke one of her teeth on one, so now she only gets dental chews and carrots. It's really too bad because she loves antlers, but she's already down a tooth at 16 months, can't afford to have her keep breaking teeth.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I used nylabones before. Nikko did fine on them, but when Yukon would chew them and ingest the plastic pieces he would throw up every time, so I stopped using them.  Instead I use the femur bones or antlers.  

Skye isn't bothered about Nyla bones (neither was my lab or shih tzu come to think of it)?

Her new favourite thing is antlers, although given the cost of them we may have to take out a second mortgage to keep her in them lol

Hisui, you toss "Nylon Bones" and "Nylabones" around as if they were necessarily the same thing. 

I've let my dogs chew on (brand name) Nylabones and they've either enjoyed them as a chew toy or ignored them - different dogs, different strokes.  I see what comes off the Nylabones and have read enough that I'm not concerned since the tiny pieces that split off seem to not cause a problem.

Given that positive feedback for Nylabones, I'm less enthusiastic ( considerably less enthusiastic! ) about the generic nylon chew toys.  My lab did fine with them, she just chewed - not energetically, just a "chew" - Misty and Avalanche would chew on them and break them or break chunks off ( so I don't let them anywhere near one ).

When Avalanche broke one in half with his energetic chewing I decided the potential enjoyment wasn't worth the risk.

This is both Aspen and Tuff's favorite.  They fight over it so we have 2 of them.  It is textured so I imagine it feels great on their gums.  No bits come off it and both my dogs are aggressive chewers.  They will sit for a long time with this toy.  

post-9275-0-97255300-1396271803.jpg