Sad News; A Person Not Dog

mydiamond

Thursday, 2nd January 2014 08:00 GMT+7

My grandma passed at the staggering age of 91. She was still very healthy and active down to the last week of her life. In fact nobody guessed she would pass on anytime soon. We all thought one day we'd sit at a restaurant celebrating her 100th birthday. Before that accidental fall which led to her series of hospital trips, she still walks herself around the neighborhood every morning. She still goes grocery shopping, although she always ended up being walked home by the store owner because she can't remember where her house is. Although her memories of the present time is quick to fade away, she remembers her childhood vividly. Every time she met someone new, she'd tell it all over again. "I come to Indonesia at sixteen, I have spent seventy years here. I am now eighty two". She told her story the same way every single time it plays like a broken record in the back of my mind. And yes, she believes she's eighty-two every year. "I was alone, and only able to speak Chinese". I used to think it's annoying. I thought; who bombards a stranger with their personal story like that? But what I failed to understand is the pride she had in that story. She never went beyond that point, but my mom told me everything. She was an only child in a famous, wealthy family. Her father fell victim to the war, and her mother sent her to Indonesia on the first ferry. It took her forty years before she can go back to her homeland, and once again sees the family she had left behind. She was a picture of true strength and patience. A role-model mother, a loyal wife and a caring grandmother. Although later in her years she could not even remember my name, she was the one who picked this name for me. She used to knit sweaters and pajamas for me when I was a baby, but when I grew older, Alzheimer has really taken its toll on her. I did say I don't really know her, and I did depict her as "senile and rude" in my previous thread, but now that she's gone it felt really different. I still can't quite believe it yet, considering how she's always very healthy. I never told her I love her... because we were too far apart for such feeling to grow. But now that everyone I know started crying, I felt a little sting on my chest. She's gone. She really is gone. An era has ended, much to my surprise. The first time she fell to a comatose state, I secretly rolled my eyes. I tell myself: "she's gonna come home in less than a week anyways, why's everyone crying?". But, well... life's largest surprise attack is always those things that you took for granted. 

She will be buried beside my grandpa. He died some seventeen years ago, before I was even born. I do believe it's gonna be real awkward when I attend the yearly family burial visit and see her name there... 

R.I.P Ho Ngo Ing, 1923-2014

:grouphug:

Sorry for your Loss Olivia

Be strong for your Mom.

She will need your help, support and strength.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(
*hugs*, be there for your family...they'll need you.

Life is a fickle thing, it is there one minute and can be gone the next. I, too, took my grandmother for granted. And now she's gone. Its been 6 years, and I still think about her a lot and wonder why I didn't spend as much time with her as I could have...as I should have. 

Olivia im so sorry for your loss, your grandmother sounded like quite a character and someone to be proud of, I still miss my grandparents, my grandmother died in 2001 the day before my son was due to be born, (he arrived a week later) and my grandfather died suddenly in 2007 and it was such a shock, I still think of them both often, I wish you and your family strength and love to get you all through the coming days x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Since I lost my mother last year, I can relate ... we were never very close and in her later years the Alzheimers really played havoc with her memory - as it progressed she was in earlier and earlier part of her life. But there have been so many times I've wanted to pick up the phone and call her.

I'm sorry Liv, you talk about an old lady who had a long and interesting life but that still doesn't make it any easier ...

Olivia,

My condolences. And, if I might ---- don't live with regret about not knowing your grandmother better or for past references or feelings about her. As a grandmother, I know that someday, my grandchildren will look upon me in a similar light. But what I also know - though I may someday forget it.........is the joy they brought by simply being born. There may come a day that they won't have time for me, or may live too far away for visits, or grow up and have their own families to live for and not have time for me, but NOTHING ever made me feel more loved in my life that their smile when they walked in the door at 2 years old and screamed "GRANDMA!" as they ran across the room with open arms.

They may never recall that.....but I shall never forget.

Relationships, even those within a family, may not always grow into those like stories are written about. But it doesn't make them less real. There will always be a connection. Don't over think it, don't dwell on what might have been. Life is too short.....be happy that you have the memories of her sharing that story. The fact that you recall it, is a memory shared. She would be proud and is smiling down on the fact that you have shared it with others. Her legacy lives on.

Hugs sweetie!

thanks again for all the support guys xxx it's been tough since a lot is going on right now.. 

she will be buried this monday. A lot faster than I thought because Chinese people traditionally waits 40 days. But I guess waiting that long will only lengthen the grieving process.