Is Your Husky Neutered?

CourtJester

My female is fixed. I live in an urban area where many people don't fix their males. And there are a lot of dogs left outside in their yards all day and I worried they would find a way in or she would find a way out. I'm not prepared to be a puppy grandma. I suppose just like humans birth control is more often left up to the ladies.

All 3 of mine are.

Darwin and Echo were already done when we rehomed them

and Daughtry was done when she was about two years old.

We never had any intention of breeding and it makes sure 

if she accidentally mated then there would be no unexpected pups.

Since all the dogs I've had around me for the past few years have all been rescues of various types they're either neutered when I get them or I have them neutered shortly thereafter.

If you have a working dog line, or a show dog line then I can understand not having them neutered. In fact, I believe they cannot be shown if they are neutered < yes??? >.

On the other hand, for those who don't fall into the above categories - I don't see much reason to keep them intact.

I've heard "I have a male, he can't have puppies so why worry?" - I think the phrase "It takes two to tango!" comes to mind.  Just because you're male is intact doesn't mean that he can't get free and "hit up" every receptive female in the neighborhood.  At that point, you become as responsible as the females owner for the extra population.

Seldom have I seen any significant change in a dog after they've been neutered (okay, Sasha got fat! argh!!) so, to me, that's more of an excuse not a reason.

Healthwise all of the good points come from having them neutered - you can't get cancer in a body part that isn't there!

<< okay, I'll get off my soapbox, sorry >>

Bindi is not yet...she will be done later this year...just because we do not intend to breed...

Alpha has been done and that was because of medical reasons...but even if that was not the reason he would have been done anyways,....

If you have a working dog line, or a show dog line then I can understand not having them neutered. In fact, I believe they cannot be shown if they are neutered < yes??? >.

On the other hand, for those who don't fall into the above categories - I don't see much reason to keep them intact.

I've heard "I have a male, he can't have puppies so why worry?" - I think the phrase "It takes two to tango!" comes to mind. Just because you're male is intact doesn't mean that he can't get free and "hit up" every receptive female in the neighborhood. At that point, you become as responsible as the females owner for the extra population.

Seldom have I seen any significant change in a dog after they've been neutered (okay, Sasha got fat! argh!!) so, to me, that's more of an excuse not a reason.

Healthwise all of the good points come from having them neutered - you can't get cancer in a body part that isn't there!

<< okay, I'll get off my soapbox, sorry >>

+1 both my male husky, and female pit are fixed.

If you are going to show your dog, or if you are a breeder I could understand not having them fixed, but other than that, I don't see a reason to NOT neuter/spay them.  

There is a lot of controversy over whether or not to neuter, so ultimately it's up to you and your vet, but personally I made the decision to have mine neutered at 4 months old. Kodiak came to me neutered.

Almost all rescues will either fix them before they are adopted or require you to neuter.  And some breeders will even require you to neuter within a certain time.  

My opinion. Both ours are spayed. For me, it was an informed decision, and a responsible decision to have Zoya spayed. Eisa was a rescue, so the decision was made for me. But I was fine with that. I am not interested in breeding and I don't have the time nor the inclination to show. Besides, while Zoya is beautiful, she is not suited for the show circuit. Health issues run plus and minus on both sides of the question, for either males or females.

Both of mine are rescues, Harry had already been done when we got him but Snowy was too young at 4.5 months old, though we will be having him done in the next month or so, he's 6.5 months now.

Personally I think it's the responsible thing to do as there are so many rescues out there, the thought of dogs spending their lives in kennels, no one to care for them, no one to love them breaks my heart. If having them neutered prevents more dogs spending their lives in and out of rescue centres, then I'm all for it!

We have a girl that was bought 8 years ago as a 10 week old puppy. She was always going to be a family pet. We left her for over 2 years then met someone who runs their dogs "professionally" and was interested in breeding with her & keeping all the pups - he would have her from just before the birth until the puppies were weaned, do all the hard work with her etc etc the pups would then go in to his teams & race. After that conversation with him & talking between ourselves for nearly a year trying to decide what to do, she had a phantom pregnancy & it was so heartbreaking seeing her like that, we knew we couldn't put her through the real deal and got her booked in for spaying as soon as she was able to.

Since then, every dog we have taken has either come to us fixed, or we have got fixed as soon as possible. Like I said before, we talked for a year about it, looked in to the pro's & con's, spoke to as many people as possible & made the informed decision that she was our pet, we weren't too concerned over the musher as he could seek KC registered females elsewhere (he did take a funny with us as he wanted Myshka to breed from so much) and we weren't ever going to show her, so mainly for the health reasons, fixing is the way to go for us every time.

As you know, huskies, other Northern breeds & their crossbreeds that are emerging are almost ten a penny so I would rather prevent adding to that statistic and the overwhelmed rescues and keep my dogs as pets. But that is my opinion & my decision.