Bowe, my lil rescue pup! <3

s200rey

Howdy all,

Thought I would start another / more positive post off to show Bowe's progression!

These last 3-4 days she has become a different Pup!...a lot more bright eyed & bushy tailed, a lot more responsive, and she's steadily putting on weight! :up:

Since the visit to the Vets on the 10th, when she was diagnosed as being totally blind she has IMPROVED 10fold! although we now believe that when we originally took her (she only weighed 2.1kg's) that she was only around 3-4 weeks old, maximum!!

Since then she's been wormed & flea'd, fed on premium puppy food which we offer to her 4-5 times a day, and plenty of goats milk & water :) ...and she's doing brilliantly!

Took some pictures earlier tonight (think she's going to be bi-eyed??) the pictures aren't great thought, there only took on my mobile phone...

Whats that your pointing at me!? :eek:

IMAG3841.jpg

Siiiitttttttt...:) good girl!

IMAG3840.jpg

Action shot! :P

IMAG3845.jpg

Sat on Dad...

IMAG3851-1.jpg

WHAT you lookin' at!?! :P

IMAG3850-1.jpg

Lookin' elsewhere :rolleyes: lol...

IMAG3853-1.jpg

What you guys think? Cant work out if she's all Siberian Husky or if she has some Akita in her? just because when the RSPCA phoned yesterday, they'd took all his dogs off him and some were Akita's so its possible she's a 'Huskita' lol, we love her no matter what she is though! :D

Mark & Bowe.

Edited by s200rey

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's such great news! I saw your other thread and it really didn't sound too hopeful for her eyesight, did it? I'm sooooo happy for you both that she's doing well and quite amazed that her eyesight appears to be developing. Did the vet have any idea why it's suddenly got so much better?

Hi all, thanks for the replies! her cute looks is 1/2 the reason why she wasn't going anywhere! lol...

As for her eyesight, I think half the battle was her age 3-4 weeks old, lack of feeding / love / affection from her mother, and a belly FULL of worms...which is potentially is a killer combo for such a young pup...

Since she's been getting everything + more, than she needs, she's come along leaps and bounds. Her eyesight has only started to really shine these last 2 or 3 days, and is hopefully going to lead to a full recovery, maybe's she will never have 'the best' sight in the world, but some sight is better than nothing, as originally predicted.

As for the Vet she's yet to see her again, but she's booked in for her inoculations in 2 1/2 weeks time, so with a bit of luck she too will be blown away by Bowes progress. She did say though to give her some time, and see, as we were uncertain of her age when I originally took her in, and she said its a possibility it 'could' clear up...So giving her time, love & affection has worked its magic thats for sure! :D

OVER THE MOON is an understatement! :D

Mark & Bowe.

Aww this sounds like a very positive sign and here's hoping her peepers make a full recovery. Like you said a little sight is better than no sight at all. Also glad to hear the "breeder" had all his dogs taken by the RSPCA. She could turn out to be a husky Akita cross, still hard to tell in a pup so little. As she grows you'll get a better idea of her personality and will be better to judge if she's a full husky or cross. Either way she is a cutie for sure!

But dad, I can't go anywhere, my belly's weighing me down!!

- or -

If I work really, really hard I can get my ears up, well, okay half way up, well, okay that one's half way up .... awe, shoot, slipped!

I rally can't figure out from the pictures whether she's really looking at you or just tuning herself to the sound. Whatever, she is really one cute pup!!

What a sweetie! I just love the puppy stage.

Her ears will probably begin to stand up straight in the next few weeks. One looks like it's already trying.

I'm hardly an expert on conformation and in such a young pup conformation can be misleading, but I see no reason to think she isn't a pure Sibe. Time will tell, I think.

So glad you rescued her from that abominable man. I can't imagine the joy you and your family are feeling watching her become healthy and happy and maybe even recovered from some or all of her vision problems.

Could it be that you were sold a 3.5 week old pup? At that age their eyes haven't been open long, and if they aren't getting good nutrition the normal maturation process was delayed? [MENTION=1869]sutsibe[/MENTION] Gigi, what do you think? Could that be it??

Anyway, so happy for Bowe and for you. :bananadance1:

Thanks for all your replies. Im 99% sure thats exactly the reason. I think when I got her she was 3 1/2 weeks old, give a take a day or two, and along with having no mum present, poor nutrition, poor living conditions, and lack of love and affection I think we have managed to catch her just in time :)

Mark & Bowe.

Mark, I've been curious about the blindness issue and have been looking around for information.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2083&aid=329

Vision: Puppies are born blind with closed eyelids. The eyelids open by fourteen days of age, exposing the eyeball which now is only mildly sensitive to light. Most puppies will have vision by three to four weeks of age, but it will not be fully developed until after ten weeks of age.

Hearing: Puppies are born deaf as well as blind. Just like the eyelids, the ear canals remain closed until about two weeks of age. At about two weeks of age, most puppies can hear some noises. At this age, they are easily startled by sharp noises. By four weeks of age, most puppies will hear the sounds without becoming startled. Puppies over four weeks of age can hear quite well.

All of the above developments, the walking, vision, and hearing, are controlled by the nervous system. The exact age at which these abilities develop is variable. The ages mentioned are the average, not the rule.

ETA: I'd wait for [MENTION=1869]sutsibe[/MENTION] to come in and give the final word, but I think Bowe might have been exhibiting normal vision for a pup that age.

Edited by elenamarie

What a sweetie! I just love the puppy stage.

Her ears will probably begin to stand up straight in the next few weeks. One looks like it's already trying.

I'm hardly an expert on conformation and in such a young pup conformation can be misleading, but I see no reason to think she isn't a pure Sibe. Time will tell, I think.

So glad you rescued her from that abominable man. I can't imagine the joy you and your family are feeling watching her become healthy and happy and maybe even recovered from some or all of her vision problems.

Could it be that you were sold a 3.5 week old pup? At that age their eyes haven't been open long, and if they aren't getting good nutrition the normal maturation process was delayed? @sutsibe Gigi, what do you think? Could that be it??

Anyway, so happy for Bowe and for you. :bananadance1:

Yep, if she was indeed only around 3.5 weeks old, I would expect that she wouldn't see well at all - their sight is not clear at that point, plus they're learning to see, if you know what I mean! Up until then, they found everything by smell, suddenly they start to see, and have to figure what it all means... Add in the ears opening about the same time, and it's sensory overload! Very glad to hear that she's improving - keep up the good nutrition and care, and hopefully her eyes will be normal or nearly so...

I love the way she sits on her back leg lol an she's only half taller again than the skirting board!! Lol I'm so so happy for you and Bowe and I know how much you're looking forward to showing her progress off to the vet. We took Safi for her booster a few weeks ago and our vet couldn't believe how well she was :)

She's a little star

Hi all, thanks for the lovely messages regarding keeping her etc! :D were over the moon with the lil lady! ;)

Backed up all my pictures off my phone onto the computer earlier and forgot i'd took a couple of pictures of little Bowe when I very first got her from "the breeder" and thought i'd share them with you all...she's a different puppy today bless her!

Covered in dirt/crap/piss and god knows what else...poor thing.

IMAG3696.jpg

After a quick stop off at Pets @ Home for emergency puppy shampoo and a bed...

IMAG3698.jpg

Today, her eyes are no longer glazed over, she picks up on everything - smell, sound & sight! and is getting bigger and better each & everyday. Thanks to much love & attention, from me and my family! :up: her eyesight as previously mentioned has/is getting much better...We dont know to what 'level' she can see now, but she can definitely see! which from the diagnostic @ the vets a few weeks ago, is a MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT!

Some pictures from over the weekend.

Also, meet my 5 1/2 month old daughter Evelyn :cool: ...she's the youngest of my two girls, and loves Bowe to bits! as we all do.

So cuteee!?!

IMAG3954.jpg

Bowe picking up on me, stood taking pictures, lol...

IMAG3952.jpg

Bowe getting a little board with the whole thing, lol...

IMAG3956.jpg

Little Evelyn giving her a stroke/pat, lol! so CUTE!!??

IMAG3958.jpg

IMAG3949.jpg

IMAG3934.jpg

IMAG3921.jpg

IMAG3916.jpg

What a cutie eh? :) ...just show's you how far love & effection can get you peeps! so glad we didn't write her off now. I bet she is too! lucky little bugger! :P

Mark, Bowe & Family.