Bowe, my lil rescue pup! <3

s200rey

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi!

Yes i currently have 2 female akitas and did have a male akita.

In some pictures the head shape/features look slightly akita like, but in others I see husky, so I think its a wait and see type of thing.

As for raising akitas in general is socialization with stable, well rounded dogs is a must. but then again, we did all that with Izzy and she can still be DA. Her and Tipsy can not be together at all, granted they can be seperated by a baby gate and be okay, it does stress them both out so it doesn't happen often.

Tipsy lives with my parents, along with 2 bichons (male/female), 2 shibas (male/female) and a male aussie. She has had some scuffles with the female shiba, but they are both called off fairly easily and my family has learned the very subtle signs.

Izzy lives with me and 3 male huskies. She has had issues in the past, but we narrowed that down to when she is getting a UTI. poor keno did have a hole in his cheek and the back of his neck.

I love the akita breed. My family will always have them. But they definitely aren't for everyone, and I have never recommended one to anyone looking for a breed.

so i guess, just do what you would do with any other puppy and just how she developes, she is a cutie!

Hi Tiffany,

Thanks for getting in touch. That's exactly what me and my misses has said, were not worried either way...

However, the rspca called again today to update me on the situation with the so called breeder and I asked for the number of the centre where his dogs have been sent to. A quick call later and it turns out that the two adult males are not pure breed Akita. There both Akita cross Sibe Husky, and all the rest are Sibe Huskies. So if her dad is indeed one of the Akita crosses then that would make her only 20-25% Akita, is that right?? Or she's a full Sibe Husky. The place couldn't tell me what they thought her brothers and sisters were tho, because they have been put down, due to serious ill health, deafness and blind :(

Bowe is coming along great tho and we can't wait till she starts to get bigger and were able to walk her! Interesting to see how she ends up looking :P quite exited!

Edited by s200rey

So if her dad is indeed one of the Akita crosses then that would make her only 20-25% Akita, is that right??

yep that would make her 75% husky 25% akita :) two stubborn breeds. Be prepared LOL

I'm sorry to hear about Bowe's litter mates :(

So sorry to hear about Bowe's litter mates :(

It'll be really interesting to see what she grows into, she is a gorgeous girl.

Tried to look for you on the member map to see if you're nearby, so when Bowe's older she could have a fellow husky/akita buddy but you're not showing up!

Dont know if its because I use iMac's both at work & at home, but it wont let me add myself to the 'members map' it lets me place myself, or put in my postcode, but when I click - save location. It refreshes and starts all over again - input your location or drag the pin head.

So who knows? maybe's something for a moderator too have a look at? i've had similar problems before on other forums due to using the apple platform.

For those who are interested, I'm from the North East of England, close to Middlesbrough. :up:

:DBOWES NOT 1 BIT BLIND! :D

Another little update, our little brave heart Bowe, has been to the Vets at the weekend. (Vets4Pets)

She was in for her 1st round of inoculations, and our Vet had said she would give her a full check up as part of that so no extra £ which was great, she was aware of the situation and how Bowe came about.

Anyway, she was MADE UP at the over all improvement in Bowe, her growth, development, and also her EYESIGHT!...after tests, she's got full / perfect sight in her right eye (the blue one) and can see out the other eye as well, however it doesn't seem to react quite as well to the tests as the other but is still functioning, and she can see out of it, and could even improve further as time goes on. So as far as we are concerned thats absolutely great!...me and the misses are over the moon, and it really does show you what the right love & affection can do! The Vet was really surprised at her turn around, and said it had blown her away, as she didn't believe she would re-grain any eyesight.

Also, last time she was there, almost 4 weeks ago she weighed only 2.2kg...today Bowes 5.7kg! so she's more than doubled her original weight from when we first got her! again, we were really, really happy!!

Onwards & Upwards!

IMAG4206.jpg

IMAG4208.jpg

Mark, Bowe & Family.

Edited by s200rey

...Just waiting for those little ears to 'prick up' now. The Vet said it could take up to 10-12 weeks? She said theres loads of cartilage there, indicating that they 'probably' wouldn't stay down. Any one got anymore on this? i'd be interested to know...

Her ears have started to stand up lol!! :D ...took this quick picture before I went to work this morning, she's turning into a right lil cutie! :cool:

IMAG0098-1.jpg

Can anybody suggest any good toilet training threads or websites?? we've just made a space for her (as you can see in the picture?) rather than letting her have full run of the utility and her bed been down the bottom. Since doing this, she is no longer doing her wee's and poos where she likes, and is using outside. I think I might have been giving her 'too much' space to roam before this? since I 'diy - partitioned' the room so she has had a more restricted rest place and letting her out at the right times, and in good time, we so far have been accident/problem free. But its only been for a day or so! before this she was doing her business up the top of the utility out the way of her & her bed etc. So if anybody can suggest anything else to me that could help us out in getting her 'house trained' that would be much appreciated. I've done a few google searches, but found nothing great, or different to what i'm doing at the minute. If more information on her schedule / routine at the minute would help then thats no worries either... :)

Cheers! :cool:

Edited by s200rey

For some reason, Ozzy was a dream to toilet train, he seemed to 'get it' straight away. When we got Micah, she followed his example, so we were really very lucky.

I can't believe how she has grown, she is a beauty and is going to grow into a happy and confident little girl - well done :)

Aww thank you Rosemary! :D ..yeh hopefully this will do the trick for us, along with letting her out regularly, and keeping everything to a schedule / routine for her. I've got a 6month old baby daughter as well, so know all about schedule & routine and think this is paying off with little Bowe also. I hope so anyway, as i've heard a lot of 'horror stories' about house training lol!

Am I right in thinking once she gets a little older 10-20weeks she should be able to hold her bladder better anyway?

From what I can remember it took about 20 weeks before Ozzy could get through the night without us taking him out - or him waking us up to go potty - I sometimes thought he wanted to go out just to have a wander about, so maybe he could hold it longer a lot earlier than I thought :rolleyes: I am sure other members will be able to give you better information :)

From what I can remember, its something like: every hour up to 8weeks, every couple 8-16weeks? apart from after playtime, water, or food, then its sooner, more like 15-30minutes. That's about what i'm doing atm with Bowe and she's around 7-8weeks old. Last night I woke at 3.30am, because my daughter started to stir, so when I went down stairs to make her milk, checked on Bowe, no accidents from 11pm - 3.30am, so I let her out, "hurry up" I say, she did her thing, then back into bed, then 7am this morning, no accidents, the same again and breakfast :) so hopefully, what i'm doing is working, and hopefully she will be able to hold it, most of the time, till half way through the night for now. I'm pleased with her so far! she's been great! should have put her in a 'confined space' for rest / time out a bit sooner tho, but you live and learn dont ya' lol...simple commands, and not saying 'too much' is working wonders discipline wise. However she doesn't half like to 'nip' though, something i'm going to start working on this weekend...any helpful hits & tips regarding that too, would as always be much appreciated!

Edited by s200rey

The nipping is something you will need to work on, especially with a small child in the house. When they are taken away from their mothers and sibling too early, nipping does become a problem because the pack usually sorts it out between them.

Ozzy was awful - before we joined HO. We went on a bike rally and had to leave him at a working husky kennel for 3 days, when we came back the older huskies at the kennel had soon put him in his place - thank goodness :rolleyes:

Just be consistent - get up and leave when she nips you, if you are playing - stop playing, or say ouch loudly and stop whatever you were doing. She will soon learn that it is not acceptable. It may take a while, but persevere and don't give in to her - she is so cute though but don't be tempted.

Exactly my attitude Rosemary :up:...and thank you Storm & Angels Mum! :)

'Bite inhibition'...she hasn't had much time with her parents or her siblings, so I knew this would potentially throw us a few issues. What i'm doing at the minute (along with the fiancee and our older daughter) is yelping when she nips, and turning the other way, as you have suggested, sometimes this stops it, if she continues though, I remove her from the room and put her in 'isolation' for a minute or so then re-introduce her, this used to work well with border collies, it just takes time and a bit of effort, maybes more so with a Husky though, I dont know.

She seems to be doing well at the minute, especially after I reduced her 'free space' to roam around un supervised in, she does a bit of barking / howling when I'm prepping her food / water (this is probably normal?) and this nipping thing she's doing, but i'm sure time, technique and effort will iron this out. I'm hoping once she has got used to going outside to toilet, I can bring her into the house & around the kids a lot more, with less fear of her doing a wee'wee or a poo'poo in the house! lol...I've put her a collar on the last couple of days, and she seems happy enough with it (I did apply whilst she was having dinner, and she loves dinner!) and I've got a puppy lead from a friend, and have started using this when I take her out to do her business, to see if that helps.

Cant wait for her second inoculations, then shortly after that I can take her out a few times a day and run some of that pent up energy she has off! :)

Edited by s200rey

Good for you - you are certainly doing everything right :)

I also use a time-out system. Every couple of months Micah gets 'moody' and snaps or attacks Ozzy, so we have used the time-out system with her, very successfully. We use the bathroom with a time out of 1-3 minutes. When she acts up, just the mention of 'do you want to go to the bathroom' has her backing down. My poor little girl, she is actually a very good girl :) she just has her moments ........... :rolleyes: