London Riots

Sarah

I don't think it will come to Rochdale - nothing worth looting here lol and i'm being serious!

Don't bank on it - last night YouTube had loads of pictures of morons in Ealing looting the Pound Shop, and one bright spark had a big bag of Tesco Value Rice that he proudly nicked from the Tesco Express. So far tonight we've had reports of minor problems in Hammersmith and Chiswick. My son, daughter-in-law and granddaughters live in Chiswick, so I might need to bring them over here later if it kicks off. My daughter Nique works in Chiswick and they've spent all day emptying their showroom and office of anything of value.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guardian again has a map of the latest riots; Birmingham/Wolverhampton and Manchester show the latest activity.

A report of vigilanteism in north Enfield - Hertford Road- seems as if a group of drunk men chased off a couple of "dark kids" who were in the wrong spot at the wrong time. I can appreciate the sentiment, but going out drunk looking for trouble is not going to stem the violence.

As always, stay safe folks!

Don't bank on it - last night YouTube had loads of pictures of morons in Ealing looting the Pound Shop, and one bright spark had a big bag of Tesco Value Rice that he proudly nicked from the Tesco Express. So far tonight we've had reports of minor problems in Hammersmith and Chiswick. My son, daughter-in-law and granddaughters live in Chiswick, so I might need to bring them over here later if it kicks off. My daughter Nique works in Chiswick and they've spent all day emptying their showroom and office of anything of value.

Don't mind my butting in, but if you even think you might need to move them - why don't you do it now. You don't want to go driving through there if it sparks up. If nothing happens then you can have an anxious evening together ...

Watching all of this, I'm reminded of Hurricane Katrina. My dad lived in a small Mississippi town 15 miles inland, in a neighborhood on the shores of a large lake. The eye of the hurricane passed directly over my dad's house. There was one entrance/exit for the neighborhood, and for six weeks after the storm the residents took turns guarding the entrance to prevent anyone from coming in from the outside and looting, etc. Any cars with Louisiana tags were turned away, by force if necessary. Most residents owned firearms and knew how to use them.

The neighborhood had several hundred residents and most of those folks' homes were severely damaged by the storm. The people banded together, those with generators took them to standing houses and brought elderly residents and children to stay there, they shared food and fuel, etc. It was a very rough time but they all made it through alive.

Six weeks of hardship and not one person in that neighborhood lost their lives. Not one person was robbed or beaten. They had no government help, no police help, nothing--the neighborhood was at the end of everyone's list, I suppose.

And then there was New Orleans. . ..

What explains the difference between people like my dad's neighbors and people like the rioters and looters in New Orleans, London, etc.? I've long wondered.

In theory It should be no different to private property that has guard dogs, and specially now that the government are supposedly clarifying the right to use reasonable force to defend your property. However no doubt there is some stupid law that the criminals have to be warned by a sign that there are dogs there or something...

Don't mind my butting in, but if you even think you might need to move them - why don't you do it now. You don't want to go driving through there if it sparks up. If nothing happens then you can have an anxious evening together ...

We've tried to convince them of this, but they don't want to go unless they feel it is really necessary. Luckily, knowing the area really well, I can get to them round the backstreets without going near the High Street.

not near me as yet and fingers crossed they don't but my dogs will be in doors my house will be locked up and a baseball bat in my bed xxxxx god help any one who tries

Not to mention 5 samurai swords one crossbow and a number of knifes including an 8 inch commando knife and 6 Italian throwing knifes so I do think that we have the edge on any rioter

not near me as yet and fingers crossed they don't but my dogs will be in doors my house will be locked up and a baseball bat in my bed xxxxx god help any one who tries

Funny, I saw on Amazon that US Baseball Bats are the up-and-comers for UK sales, increase sales of 24,578%.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/movers-and-shakers/sports/ref=zg_bsms_tab

@Hy'Shqa and @karen c and @Mistyrayn , please be careful!

Will do. Typical this has all kicked off while my family are on holiday and I'm at home alone :( I live on a road that comes off of the main road in town so if it spreads any further chances are they will be walking my way :nooo: No shops or anything on this road though so hopefully they'll stay away or carry on past. I did hear last night that apparently a load of people got off at Gillingham station and rioted through the high street. This is what we get for being a commuter town and therefore easily accessable from London :angry1: Luckily we've got extra bolt locks and stuff on our doors because my dad caught someone trying to break in last year so the house is secure enough. I've got my dad's trusty ol' axe handle to hand and of course Kiska is always a bit woofy when someone knocks on the door/comes in the house so I feel safe enough :P The family come home in the early hours of Friday morning too anyway so I'll be fine. I'll just make sure I'm careful and don't go for walks at night for a while.

Will do. Typical this has all kicked off while my family are on holiday and I'm at home alone :( I live on a road that comes off of the main road in town so if it spreads any further chances are they will be walking my way :nooo: No shops or anything on this road though so hopefully they'll stay away or carry on past. I did hear last night that apparently a load of people got off at Gillingham station and rioted through the high street. This is what we get for being a commuter town and therefore easily accessable from London :angry1: Luckily we've got extra bolt locks and stuff on our doors because my dad caught someone trying to break in last year so the house is secure enough. I've got my dad's trusty ol' axe handle to hand and of course Kiska is always a bit woofy when someone knocks on the door/comes in the house so I feel safe enough :P The family come home in the early hours of Friday morning too anyway so I'll be fine. I'll just make sure I'm careful and don't go for walks at night for a while.

stay safe hun

Be safe, Nix. :(

will do - im more worried bout the parents n my older bro (shh dont tell him that) in cardiff atm - then me - tho i am currently looking after my lil bros n the dogs on my own atm - got alot of family close by tho so thats good n if it comes to it my auntie will have 2 have us all in her house down in the country side where its only her n her neighbour around - im not toooo worried theres shit all to loot in cov - tho i did want to go town on friday lol

i think its just fears atm - theres isnt actually anything going on here - people are obviously starting rumors that central 6 will be targeted soon so police are keeping things safe

Be careful. :(

And to give you a laugh--

A burglar broke into a home and was looking around. He heard a soft voice say, "Jesus is watching you". Thinking it was just his imagination, he continued his search. Again the voice said "Jesus is watching you". He turned his flashlight around and saw a parrot in a cage. He asked the parrot if he was the one talking and the parrot said, "yes." He asked the parrot what his name was and the parrot said, "Moses." The burglar asked, "what kind of people would name a parrot Moses?" The parrot answered, "the same kind of people who would name their pit bull Jesus".