I would like to get to know your husky

Smokey

Just a few questions to understand what type of personality your husky has. I am always enamored by the different personalities that huskies can have and would like to compare your husky's personality with Smokey's. Unfortunately I can't meet all of them so show me yours!

1. When your husky disobeys you, how does he do it? i.e. talks back, runs away, turns a deaf ear, won't look you in the eye etc.

2. What commands/tricks does your husky understand?

3. Where is your husky's favorite place to be scratched?

4. Does your husky always pull the leash/lead? (when you walk, run, bike etc.)

5. Does your husky play fetch and bring back the item more than once if you throw it?

6. Does your husky have any major/minor health issues?

7. Is there anything that your husky does that totally drives you up a wall and annoys you?

8. What is your husky's favorite way to get exercise?

9. Does your husky have a comfort place, or toy, or person etc?

10. What is the strangest/naughtiest/worst thing your husky has done?

11. In a safe but limitless place, can your husky be trusted off leash? (Am asking because I've seen pictures of huskies off leash of leash on this)

12. How does your husky show you that he loves you? (This one is important to me because I can't tell if Smokey shows me affection without me knowing)

I have a lot more but I'm sure this list is already too long and I don't want people to be deterred by the midpoint if they get tired of answering questions. I will definitely post more later! :o)

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. When your husky disobeys you, how does he do it? i.e. talks back, runs away, turns a deaf ear, won't look you in the eye etc.

Embry runs away and turns a deaf ear.

Sit, Stay, Down, Come, Shake, Leave it, Watch me

belly (:

Embry pulls when he's on a harness that has the leash connecting next to his shoulders, if he is on his easy walk harness he never pulls.

5. Does your husky play fetch and bring back the item more than once if you throw it?

Embry will go get it, pick it up and run away to find somewhere to kill the ball

Embry has no health issues

7. Is there anything that your husky does that totally drives you up a wall and annoys you?

Umm, going potty in the housedry.gif

chasing dogs at the dog park

probably me haha when he gets nervous he comes and leans on me

almost ate two of my sisters kittenssad.gif

11. In a safe but limitless place, can your husky be trusted off leash? (Am asking because I've seen pictures of huskies off leash of leash on this)

Embry is allowed off leash in a fenced in area like our local dog park, but otherwise nope.

12. How does your husky show you that he loves you? (This one is important to me because I can't tell if Smokey shows me affection without me knowing)

all the time, with his wooing

What a good post! It'll be interesting what comes out of it biggrin.gif

Myshka's answers

Diesel's answers

All of the above! Mainly talks back or turns a deaf ear

Just looks at the floor & won't make eye contact

Wait, stop, stay, paw, other paw, down, sit, out (kitchen or back door),

Paw, sit, come here, out (of the kitchen or back door), up (to walk uphill or up a step), go wee!

between the ears on top of her head

on his belly

yes

for the first 10 mins, then just trots along

no

no

zinc deficiency we are trying to control

no

no

no

dog park with husky friends

dog park with husky friends

in her dog bed which we call her mat as technically her bed is her cage under the stairs

on our bed if he gets the chance

eaten phones, ipods, wires, newspapers, bedding - you name it!

toileting in the house as he has not been fully house-trained

no

yes

welcomes me home with a wagging tail, gives kisses,

get a massive, deep "woowoo!" when I come in, sits next to me with some part of his body touching me

Hes begun to run away and won't come back when he knows we are about to go home. hmmm... doesn't look u in the eye if hes been naughty and is getting told off.

Paw, sit, down and Hi-five!

under his chin and behind his ears

Yup

Sometimes

nope

Getting into the bin

run about

hmm.. not too sure any bush he can hide in hehe

hmm.. all he does is steal socks and runs like hell

somewhat

waggles his bum and wants kisses

What a great post!! added to rep :D

Kaiser - stares at me then walks away

Kimba - stares at me, stretches and lays down lol

Kaiser / Kimba Hike on, gee, haw, on by, paw, touch, lay down, sit, stay, wait, jump, through (used when jumping through hoola hoop)

Kimba - under his chin and round his neck

Kaiser - same but also his sides

OH YES!! lol

Kimba fetches then runs past you so you gotta chase him lol then he runs up to kaiser to show him what he's got so kaiser chases him to get it rolleyes.gif

no

jumping

running

they both have their crates and often go in for a snooze during the day, fav toy - the cat blink.gif fav person - MUMMY :D

Kaiser ate my hosepipe and just yesterday a tube of toothpaste blink.gif

Kimba ate a stocking and had to go to the vets

No, recall is good when there are no distractions - only let mine off in an enclosed area - just not worth the risk imo

Both of them - the way they react when i walk in a room, putting their paws on me, wanting a fuss, wagging their tails, kimba rests his head on my lap when he wants attention :wub:

At the moment, she has a look in her eye like ha-ha, I am not going to listen to you.

Paw, sit, down, come, off, and stay

Belly for sure

At the start of the walk, yes, then she is good.

Sometimes

Nope

Drive by biting if you do not give her enough loving. Hopefully she will outgrow this.

Running laps in the backyard with the sprinkler running.

No, it changes daily.

She caught a mouse and would not let it go, it was a game for like 10 minutes and the poor thing was ripped to pieces.

Not yet, only the fenced in dog park or backyard.

She runs into the bedroom in the morning to say hi once she gets up. She is very happy to see us.

S = Sampson N = Nikita (not really a husky but close)

S= talks back (especially if you point at him while telling him off), turns a deaf ear and eats faster when telling him to get out of the cats food N= turns a deaf ear, runs off with whatever you are telling her to leave, looks at me like I am an idiot for trying to telling her not to do something before proceeding to do it anyway.

S= sit, shake, down, kisses, around (this is used when he has went the wrong way around a post/tree/me). He used to know the names of several stuffed animals but they aren't allowed them anymore as they fight over them N= sit, shake, down, kisses

S= rubbing your palm over the entrance to his ears and back at the base of his tail N=no place in particular

S= at the start of walks N=at the start of walks and when she sees another dog up until she gets tired (but only if she doesn't have her nose halter on)

S= a couple times N= never and don't even think about trying to take it off hersmile.gif

Nope, only health issue in 12 years was Sampson getting a lump on his anus 1-2 yrs ago, vet said was cause he was still intact.

S= nope not really, wish he wasn't a runner so he could be off lead but thats life N= constantly getting into everything, stealing food

Both = their favourite way would be to run, but they settle for walks and swimming in the river

S= under the bed N= Nope

S= strangest would be coming and sitting by the bath staring at me while Nikita was doing naughty things in the other room, almost as if to say 'see me here remember later that I was right here'. He isn't really naughty, but does like to eat the cat poo out of the litter boxblink.gif

N= strangest - she likes to push her nose right up against my chest and take a really deep breathrolleyes.gif. Naughtiest - this list could be a mile long. I think her worst was pulling the dryer away from the wall and making the dryer vent whole big enough for her to climb through in order to get outside

S= never could in the past, might be able to now as he is a bit older but wouldn't risk it to find out N= probably but wouldn't/couldn't ever risk it.

S= comes up to cuddle N= comes up to cuddle and gives kisses (but she does this to complete strangers as wellunsure.gif)

Odin's answers

Loki's answers

Thor's answers

stand's stuborn with his head down, but watching out the corner of his eye. Then run's away.

shouts back then gives me the look and put's her nose up and walks away.

just sit's put's his ears back and then lie's down.

Walk on, sit, down, paw, wait, stop. he knows these but to stuborn for his own good.

Wait, stop, stay, paw, other paw, down, sit, stop,

Paw, sit, come here, wait, stop.

his ear's just inside.

her belly.

his neck.

yes like a bull.

yes first 10 min's then is fine.

yes again first 10 min 's then fine.

yes but only his football.

no

no

no

no

no

yes stand's half in half out the back door till i give a treat.

yes nag's the boys none stop.

no nothing.

football in garden, off lead run's.

chase the boys round the house, off lead run's.

just loves a long walk, and off lead run's

me he's my shadow where i am he is. on our bed curled up with me.

in a little ball next to her daddy on settee.

on floor half way up the front door.

eat the laces out of our shoes but never the shoe.

learn to open cupboad doors and draws.

toileting in the house now and then, but used to living outside on a farm.

no

no

yes

goes crazy when i come home as if i've been away a week. come's for cuddles.

goes mad when i come home and lot's of kisses. her foot as to be touching us when she lies down.

woo wooooo's howls like crazy when he see's us throug the window.

1. When your husky disobeys you, how does he do it? i.e. talks back, runs away, turns a deaf ear, won't look you in the eye etc. just blanks us

2. What commands/tricks does your husky understand? micha sit lay down roll over, come, suki sit and paws

3. Where is your husky's favorite place to be scratched? micha behind ears on head, suki on her back

5. Does your husky play fetch and bring back the item more than once if you throw it? about 3 times then wont

6. Does your husky have any major/minor health issues? nope

7. Is there anything that your husky does that totally drives you up a wall and annoys you? doesnt give enough cuddles

8. What is your husky's favorite way to get exercise? running or swiming

9. Does your husky have a comfort place, or toy, or person etc? suki likes small squeaky tennis balls, micha has a teddy

10. What is the strangest/naughtiest/worst thing your husky has done? eaten the banister

11. In a safe but limitless place, can your husky be trusted off leash? yes

12. How does your husky show you that he loves you? micha rests her head on you, suki wags and jumps up

Ignores me

Sit, lie down, foot, kitchen, do you want chicken, do you want to sing

Behind the ear

Yes - unfortunately

Yes

No

Jumps on visitors

Going to the beach, or swimming in the pool

No

He sits ON my daughter when she comes to visit

I have never tested him on this, the only place he is off lead is my back yard. His leash did break on a walk in the forest once, and he stood and waited for us, but he is still a puppy.

He comes to look for me and woo woos for hugs and kisses - he is my love

Looks away and tries to run in the other direction.

Sit, Come, Up, Down, Wait, Out, In, Treat, Do you want this, Paws, Roll Over, Lay Down, Walkies, Doggies.

On her neck or her side.

She pulls a little bit but not much unless there other dogs about.

She will play all day and will bring it back EVERY time.

None.

Not really.

Running or playing fetch.

She lays in her spot on my bedroom floor, doens't really have a 'comfort' thing.

Chewed Roberts Xbox headset.

Nope.

She licks and nuzzles into me, and asks for cuddles.

Blanks us lol

sit, wait, paw, 2 paws, sit up, lie down, kisses and hugs

blaze likes the base ov his back skyla loves a belly rub

blaze pulls skyla doesnt

yep :D

nope apart from skyla - her major health issue is eating too much :rofl:

Blaze's pulling

run around the garden together - lots ov walks

Blaze likes 2 hide under my bed

Skyla ripping the house plant 2 shreads and digging in the plant pot

if it was fenced in yes - if not nooooo

blaze will just come and sit with us - skyla gives kisses

Runs or freezes in mid motion and stares at you

sit, down, stay, come

the chest, i scratch anywhere else he tries to bite me(play bite)

yes

he'll fetch for about 3-5 times and then keep it for himself

no

plops down beside or under me and lets out the most god awfulest smelling farts

dog park

fav toy is lately his firehose toy

poop in his cage and then tramp it everywhere, get poop all over the cage and himself and surround area. done it twice

if theres nothing around to distract him, yes, but you never know so I dont do it

12. How does your husky show you that he loves you?

umm, dances and woos when i've been gone awhile and come home

Looks me in the eyes and gives the look of "yea woteva"

Paw, other paw, talk on demand, sit stay, down, up high five and wee wees

Right behind his ears

Only the first few minutes then hes fine

Yes all the time. Hes clever enoght to go fetch me a particular toy eg freddie(the squeeky frog) and percy(pheseant) and a few others but them are the faveslaugh.gif

Not anything other than the lack of brain cells at timesbiggrin.gif

He will start talking and demanding attention whenever im on the phone or when im listning to my messages

Play fighting with the hubby and having the "zooms" around the gardensmile.gif

His lil bone bedwub.gif

He chewed our phone line out of the wall along with some paint and plaster

Yes he is pretty good and always comes back, i do keep treats to tice him back but hes fab, he gets to go off the lead a lot if theres not to many distractions

He puts his head on your knee or lies on the sofa with me and rests his head on mewub.gif

He Dont Listen

Sit, lie down,Paw, food?, Walkie's lol

Behind the ear

not all the time thank god

Yep :D

No

Jumps on visitors, and goes a littlle nuts sometimes.....

play with ball, and go for long walks up the mountain

No

he loves to get dirty and run around the house, and sometimes pull the curtains down

i have not tried to be honest, dont want to risk it, but i would in a dog park or similar

he will come and sit on my feet, and lots of licks when he jumps up

he looks up at me and lies down and/or backs away but carries on looking at me!!!

kisses, hup, sit, paw, leave it

both ears at the same time

only if there is someone else with us, if it's just me walking him he's fine!

nope :-(

not that i know of

jumps on my bed with wet paws when i've told him no!!!

to run around like a maniac!!!

underneath mine or mike's feet

strangest-managed to get onto our bedroom window ledge which is tiny....he kinda turns in mid air!!!

naughtiest-proper hit me in the face

i'd say not as we haven't had him since he was a pup

he comes and sits on me and puts his head on my neck :-)

Rambo - Howls at me, and wont let me near him, he runs away and carries on doing what hes doing

Roxy - She growns at us but is more obedient than Rambo unless out on a walk ha

Rambo - Sit, kiss, Hi-Five

Roxy - Sit, Kiss, Hi-Five

Rambo - Right on the top of his head

Roxy - Always her belly, she goes into a transe ha

Rambo - Always pulls on the lead, he hops down the road in his back legs, after a run he slows down slightly unless he sees a cat or another dog then starts pulling loads again

Roxy - Pulls at first but nothing compared to Rambo, shes gets tired quickly so stops pulling after a bit

Rambo - Never in a million years - he expects us to run after it and bring it back ha

Roxy - She runs after, it picks it up and doesnt bring it back

Rambo - Unfortunately yes he has a hereditory eye problem which doesnt seem to bother him as yet

Roxy - Nothing as far as we are aware

Rambo - He always drives me up the walls - he howls in my face especially when im eating, he digs holes in the lawn when we dont go outside to him, he jumps all ova everyone and everything when he gets excited, he stands on my toes which im sure he does on purpose and it bloody hurts, he is an escape artist, hmm where do I stop haha

Roxy - She always wants her belly scratchin never leaves us alone ha, oh she also runs off if we let her off lead and will never come back

Rambo - Loves to run especially with my husband

Roxy - Hates exercise shes lazy haha

Rambo - He just loves lying on the couch, hes quite easy tho he will sleep anywhere

Roxy - Yes she loves to lie under your legs

Rambo & Roxy - im presuming it was both of them - Came home from work one day and they had broken into a cage and eaten my guinea pig, although I dont blame them it was my own fault for leaving them near the dogs.

Rambo - Yes he will run to other dogs etc but will always come back will never run off

Roxy - Cant be trusted unless the area is enclosed, she will run off and wont come back

Rambo - He would never run away and always wants to be with us - He is a proper boy so doesnt show his affections much

Roxy - She licks alot but loves to cuddle

Lola

Rooney

Sometimes she will talk back but usual sits down with the ears down

He talks back ears down

Both sit, paw ,change paw, lie down, move, out, come here or here, they pay attention when u say whats this.

Belly

Anywhere he's a big softie

Yes always but I not walk both on haltis that work a treat

Well sort of Lola just usualy wants you to chase after her to get whatever it is back lol

No

Rooney can whine a lot for no reason

Husky smackdown

The chewed up chair outside its their pride and joy but they love to snuggle up on the sofa in the livingroom

Lola has eaten 2 woolen gloves

Rooney always pees in my dads house

No

Yes

Lola gives a kiss the odd time and rests her head on me

He just wants to lick every1 and love attention 24/7

May look , sometimes goes deaf , sometimes runs away unless i have bikkies.

Mushing commands, sit, stay, sometimes ''come''. kavik can wash his face with his pawsw when lying on his back.

chest, behind ears., side of neck

no not always, mostly when they see a cat or another dog they will pull a bit but mishka is very ggood on leash. they all pull the bike when in harness

sometimes , mostly kavik will bring ball back.

only mishka with urine crystals, u.t.i's

Digs all the water out iof the water trough when i just filled it

mostly chasing around in a field or running in harness

sofa

worst, roll in fox poo. naughtiest, kavik stole a packet of ham once.

only let ours off in a fenced area

All give kisses

ok heres ours (RobC on here is the 'other half' lol) meet Nanuk....

He stands there, looking like he's laughing at us and walks off!

Sit, Speak, Paw, Gimme Five, High Five, Stay, Wait, Heel..

His Tummy! if we scratch him in the right spot on his tummy, his back leg kicks, we call it his 'kick start'.

Yeah, he is getting better, just depends on how excited he gets on his walk lol

Yeah he does, he loves his squeaky ball and a toy pig that oinks when you squeeze it :)

No he doesn't :)

Yes, when he breaks wind under my nose in the middle of the night. He will move from Robs side of the bedroom to mine, break wind then go back to Robs side of the bedroom, curl up, look very pleased with himself then go back to sleep. Little swine! lol

Going to the dog park so he can run off lead, and play with al his doggy friends :)

His toy pig and his squeaky ball are his comfort toys, if Rob has had to tell him off he will follow me around.

Have a little toilet accident in the living room at 4 o clock in the morning. I was not happy lol

He can only be trusted off leash in the dog park, in one of the regular parks near where we live, he was let off leash because he wasn't so bad off leash at the time, and it took Rob about 20 minutes to catch him. So now he can only be let off leash in the dog park. :)

He will lick my face/hands and sit right near me, whether it be on the sofa or the floor lol, he will also lay on my feet sometimes :)

Just doesnt listen, if I try to 'make' her, like get her collar to bring her indoors, she will play bow then leg it lol

Sit, Down, Stay, Paw, other paw, High 5, Crawl, Beg, Hug, Roll Over, Off (the bed/sofa/windowsill etc lol), Come (sometimes lol).

and the working commands - Hike, Easy, Whoa (kinda lol), Gee, Haw, On By

BELLY!!

When walking on a collar - not normally, until we get to the road the dog park's on :lol:

Whe wearing a harness - All the bloody time lol

Pfffttt... Yea right!!

6. Does your husky have any major/minor health issues?:blink:

Nope

Nope, except shredding things when left alone, but I expect that

Going to the dog park and working

Not really

Jumped out of a 1st floor window :blink:

Nope, she's only let off in the dog park

Umm... Cuddles, kisses lol

ok heres ours (RobC on here is the 'other half' lol) meet Nanuk....

He stands there, looking like he's laughing at us and walks off!

Sit, Speak, Paw, Gimme Five, High Five, Stay, Wait, Heel..

His Tummy! if we scratch him in the right spot on his tummy, his back leg kicks, we call it his 'kick start'.

Yeah, he is getting better, just depends on how excited he gets on his walk lol

Yeah he does, he loves his squeaky ball and a toy pig that oinks when you squeeze it :)

No he doesn't :)

Yes, when he breaks wind under my nose in the middle of the night. He will move from Robs side of the bedroom to mine, break wind then go back to Robs side of the bedroom, curl up, look very pleased with himself then go back to sleep. Little swine! lol

Going to the dog park so he can run off lead, and play with al his doggy friends :)

His toy pig and his squeaky ball are his comfort toys, if Rob has had to tell him off he will follow me around.

Have a little toilet accident in the living room at 4 o clock in the morning. I was not happy lol

He can only be trusted off leash in the dog park, in one of the regular parks near where we live, he was let off leash because he wasn't so bad off leash at the time, and it took Rob about 20 minutes to catch him. So now he can only be let off leash in the dog park. :)

He will lick my face/hands and sit right near me, whether it be on the sofa or the floor lol, he will also lay on my feet sometimes :)

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! hehe! Smokey does the same thing when I rub his tum tum in the right spot. I think it's his way of telling "oh that feels so good it's tickling but don't stop!" I call it his tickle spot! :)

Thanks for answering. keep them coming. I really enjoy reading them! I thought I'd answer them too (in case anyone cares).

Smokey won't make eye contact and will stand there if it's a trick and he doesn't wanna do it. If it's a command like off or come here, he'll just look at me, smiles (swear to god) and continue doing whatever he wants.

commands: sit, stay, wait, off, come here, back off, wee on command, get up, lie down

tricks: growl and bark on command, shake, stand on two legs, roll over, play dead, bow, gimme five, go under my leg as I walk, fetch (we're working on it...)

Tummy! If you scratched in the right spot his hind leg will start to tick. It's the cutest/funniest thing ever.

Um yes I thought so but now that it's so hot he gets tired and walks right beside me instead. I guess he just needs to get tired.

We are working on it. Sometimes when I throw something more than 3-4 times he'll just looks at me like "why do you keep doing that. go get it yourself now"

Not that I know of.

Nothing really. But he used to eat poo sometimes when we'd go on our walks. It drove me nuts and I'd stick my arm down his throat and take as much of it out if he hadn't swallowed it already.

Smokey just loves to go on a walk with me.

Not really.

Worst: He picked up a small dog by it's scruff and totally put the dog in shock.

Strangest: He saw these tall piles of single small rocks stacked one on top of the other (someone had obviously made it). There were 3 of them about 5-6 feet tall and he totally freaked out. Slowly he got closer and closer to them, sniffed them and walked away from them as if nothing had happened.

Nope. Not at all. But we've had several accidents where he's either gotten out of his harness or I've dropped his leash and I've still managed to get him back within 10 minutes or so.

Honestly, I have no idea. Sometimes when i come home he wags his tail like crazy but then he simultaneously "grooogroogroowwwoowooows" at me as if he's angry at me. I guess when he comes and sits next to me it's flattering. lol :)