I would like to get to know your husky

Smokey

What a neat idea! Here goes for Dakota:

1. When your husky disobeys you, how does he do it? i.e. talks back, runs away, turns a deaf ear, won't look you in the eye etc.

All of the above -- except Dakota looks me straight in the eye (demonstration below:)

jZz8I1oB6Vw

2. What commands/tricks does your husky understand?

"Sit," and that's about all he knows. He'll do "paw" and "down" sometimes but not consistently yet. Oh, but when it comes time to crate him when I'm leaving, I fill a kong in the kitchen and hand it to him and say, "take it to your crate," and he'll trot though the house with it and bring it straight to his crate. (I think this is adorable.)

3. Where is your husky's favorite place to be scratched?

Everywhere, but particularly behind the ears and anywhere on the belly.

4. Does your husky always pull the leash/lead? (when you walk, run, bike etc.)

He used to but has improved incredibly. He can walk loosely on the leash with a half-check collar but always pulls when in harness when we're running. Don't know yet about biking but hope to give a try this fall, and, yes, he'll be allowed to pull.

5. Does your husky play fetch and bring back the item more than once if you throw it?

Only inside, and he starts it by bringing us his fire hose toy and placing it on us. He'll fetch 'til he drops inside. Outside, even if there are no other dogs around, he wants nothing to do with toys and fetch, he just wants to run and dig.

6. Does your husky have any major/minor health issues?

None yet, thankfully.

7. Is there anything that your husky does that totally drives you up a wall and annoys you?

The whole eating socks thing and then barfing them up 3 days later is getting pretty old.

8. What is your husky's favorite way to get exercise?

Probably the dog park is number 1, but running with me is a close second. I think he's going to love bikejoring when the weather is cool enough.

9. Does your husky have a comfort place, or toy, or person etc?

He likes to stay near one of us or rest in his crate (even with the door open).

10. What is the strangest/naughtiest/worst thing your husky has done?

Ate the couch. And that's just with us -- I think he did worse things to his previous owners.

11. In a safe but limitless place, can your husky be trusted off leash? (Am asking because I've seen pictures of huskies off leash of leash on this)

Nope, never. He has to be in a fenced dog park.

12. How does your husky show you that he loves you? (This one is important to me because I can't tell if Smokey shows me affection without me knowing)

Dakota very much likes to snuggle. He also likes to give hugs (he'll come over and hug with his head and neck). Also, if I am upset/crying about something (usually it's a book or a movie, but he doesn't know that!), he will come and lay down beside me and just sorta be there.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cathy - that vid is fantastic!!!!! The way he looks at you is just too funny!!!!! :lol:

Aww bless poor Nik in the background thinking just hush and listen to mum! :wub:

The dirty look kills me. I had started to answer that question simply "all of the above," but then I remembered I had this vid and how he just GLARED at me. The little sh--!

1. When your husky disobeys you, how does he do it? i.e. talks back, runs away, turns a deaf ear, won't look you in the eye etc.

Looks at me then walks away; Sometimes she protests by wooing, but then usually does what shes asked to.

sit , down, roll over

Anywhere, any time but really likes to roll over for belly rubs

yes, when going for a run; doesn't pull much if just walking

5. Does your husky play fetch and bring back the item more than once if you throw it?

About 15 throws worth if it is a toy we can play tug with when she brings it back

no

7. Is there anything that your husky does that totally drives you up a wall and annoys you?

She resource guards high value food or items

She plays too loud and "in your face" for my other dogs so they won't really play with her

jogging

She likes laying on the end of the couch and the coffee table

Growling and snapping at you if she has something she is worried you might try and take

Laying on the dining room table and on the back of the couch

11. In a safe but limitless place, can your husky be trusted off leash? (Am asking because I've seen pictures of huskies off leash of leash on this)

NO. Prey drive is through the roof. Last weekend she spent five hours under a tree in the back yard in the rain because she had a squirrel trapped up in it.

12. How does your husky show you that he loves you? (This one is important to me because I can't tell if Smokey shows me affection without me knowing)

She LOVES to nibble/lick my chin; she bounces like tigger when I get home from work; she loves to lay with her head in my lap and get petted

All the above for both dogs. Or with Honey, if it's bath time, she'll flop onto the floor and play dead,which she doesn't look dead , but more elephant seal-ish.

Honey does - sit, lay down,comes to her name, shake hands. And we are just learning commands now to lead up to scootering, she can so far sometimes do gee , haw, hike and move on. We're getting there.

Ocea does- sit, lay down, comes to her name. Puppy school starts in a few weeks, so hopefully we can add to that.

Honey- Belly rubs! She'll flop over anywhere and wait for a belly rub and if you don't give her one, she'll yell at you for one.

Ocea- Her most favourite would be on her back just above her tail, and second favourite is her belly.

Honey- No. When in her easy walker harness she will walk nice and calmly next to me without any tension on the leash.

When i go jogging with her i put her collar on her and she will pull in that, but not extremely hard pulling.

Ocea pulls on the leash yes.

Both do yes. Honey more so than Ocea at this point, but Ocea's just a pup so shes in her own puppy world lol. Honey will pay fetch for as long as i'll play with her.

Both have had no major/minor health issues. Honeys been an extremely healthy dog her whole life, besides now becoming overweight. unsure.gif

Honey is aggressive with items like toys and food. She can't really be around other dogs while either are around.

Ocea punches me in the face every morning around 7am to wake up. She's like a violent alarm clock.

Honey loves jogging. Not so fond of walks, she always wants to speed up and will just look at me like ''this is it? get a move on woman''.

Ocea loves running and running and running in the yard, i haven't been able to walk her yet until her next vaccinations.

Both dogs would have a comfort person being me. They both sleep with me. But Honey only does this in winter. In summer she likes staying outside, but in winter she will howl all night until shes in with me.

Ocea has a toy racoon that she carries around to most places she wants to have a snooze.

Honey until she was about 2 years old used to take everyones underwear off the clothes line and eat them. It was an expensive time in everyones lives having to replace undies every week haha.

11. In a safe but limitless place, can your husky be trusted off leash?

No. I wouldn't risk it. I think honey would come to me. But it's not worth risking her not coming back. And she has a massive prey drive. She's always catching pigeons if they fly too low in our yard.

And Ocea no. Shes just a pup.

Would be nice if there were a fenced in off leash dog park though where i live.

12. How does your husky show you that he loves you?

A lot of mornings i wake up to Honey spooning me in bed. Does that count? laugh.gif

He woo woos at me!

All the basics... down/sit/stay/come/give/hi-5/shake etc.

More importantly for me, is that he has great manners, and is very easy to live with.

His ears for sure!

No he walks nicely on a loose leash because I trained him to.

Yep he is very prey driven and loves to chase things so playing fetch is one of his favourite games.

No, we need to watch out for his back though as he's hurt it in the past.

Just the shedding but he can't help that!

Playing with me and his toy or going for a walk.

Not really no. He likes to be around us but is not a clingy dog.

Can't really think of anything to be honest, he is a really good dog :)

If I put some more effort into his recall training absolutely. He's pretty good now, but he can be dog aggressive, so I don't trust him for that reason. I'm also very lazy with him because he's so easy to live with so I don't put as much effort into training him as I do my other dog.

I think love is a human concept but he likes to put his head in my lap to get attention/an ear rub.

This is a great post. Will be adding to Rep once I've posted.

Here is what I can tell you about Zoya The Husky. . . .

Zoya turns a deaf ear AND she won't look me in the eye.

Sit, Stay, OK, Leave It, Gimme da Paw, Come (sort of), Din-Din, Beddie Bye Time

Between the eyes or behind the ears

Not with me, but with my wife Zoya does pull. Don't know why.

Zoya will chase once, pick up and drop, but won't bring back. After that, she's done.

Zoya had worms as a pup, and tested positive last Fall. Otherwise, nothing.

Before I leave for work, I use a lint brush on my slacks to clear the Husky fur off. Within a few seconds of completing this task, Zoya woo-woos and brushes up against me. I know she does it on purpose and then laughs at me. I just know it.

Well, it's either digging or chasing Koda, our son's Aussie.

Zoya loves her Kong. She also loves to lay under the coffee table.

Zoya has not done anything naughty (other than dig holes). The strangest thing is when she hunts moles in the back yard. How she comes up with a mole on the first nose dive is beyond me.

I think "safe" and "limitless" may be mutually exclusive. Zoya cannot be trusted off leash anywhere but in the house, and in our fenced in back acre.

Some Huskies are aloof in this area. Our last Husky, Elke, certainly was. It was hard to tell if she did much more than tolerate us. Zoya on the other hand, will lay down at our feet when we eat dinner, or while I'm doing dishes. Sit on the sofa, and Zoya has to be near and in contact. In the mornings, Zoya will wake me up with a woo-woo, and at the end of the day when I come home from work, Zoya is waiting at the back door for me.

Zoya will chase once, pick up and drop, but won't bring back. After that, she's done.

Before I leave for work, I use a lint brush on my slacks to clear the Husky fur off. Within a few seconds of completing this task, Zoya woo-woos and brushes up against me. I know she does it on purpose and then laughs at me. I just know it.

Zoya has not done anything naughty (other than dig holes). The strangest thing is when she hunts moles in the back yard. How she comes up with a mole on the first nose dive is beyond me.

I think "safe" and "limitless" may be mutually exclusive. Zoya cannot be trusted off leash anywhere but in the house, and in our fenced in back acre.

Some Huskies are aloof in this area. Our last Husky, Elke, certainly was. It was hard to tell if she did much more than tolerate us. Zoya on the other hand, will lay down at our feet when we eat dinner, or while I'm doing dishes. Sit on the sofa, and Zoya has to be near and in contact. In the mornings, Zoya will wake me up with a woo-woo, and at the end of the day when I come home from work, Zoya is waiting at the back door for me.

whoops. I haven't gotten fully familiarized with this sight yet. Maybe I'm a bit of a doh doh but I haven't found it very user friendly. Anyway, what is a rep? And I just wanna say that I've had so much fun reading EVERYONE's replies :) I think I will post some more questions once people are bored with this one :) Lots of love for responding. Def puts a smile on my face every time!

All the above for both dogs. Or with Honey, if it's bath time, she'll flop onto the floor and play dead,which she doesn't look dead , but more elephant seal-ish.

Honey does - sit, lay down,comes to her name, shake hands. And we are just learning commands now to lead up to scootering, she can so far sometimes do gee , haw, hike and move on. We're getting there.

Ocea does- sit, lay down, comes to her name. Puppy school starts in a few weeks, so hopefully we can add to that.

Honey- Belly rubs! She'll flop over anywhere and wait for a belly rub and if you don't give her one, she'll yell at you for one.

Ocea- Her most favourite would be on her back just above her tail, and second favourite is her belly.

Honey- No. When in her easy walker harness she will walk nice and calmly next to me without any tension on the leash.

When i go jogging with her i put her collar on her and she will pull in that, but not extremely hard pulling.

Ocea pulls on the leash yes.

Both do yes. Honey more so than Ocea at this point, but Ocea's just a pup so shes in her own puppy world lol. Honey will pay fetch for as long as i'll play with her.

Both have had no major/minor health issues. Honeys been an extremely healthy dog her whole life, besides now becoming overweight. unsure.gif

Honey is aggressive with items like toys and food. She can't really be around other dogs while either are around.

Ocea punches me in the face every morning around 7am to wake up. She's like a violent alarm clock.

Honey loves jogging. Not so fond of walks, she always wants to speed up and will just look at me like ''this is it? get a move on woman''.

Ocea loves running and running and running in the yard, i haven't been able to walk her yet until her next vaccinations.

Both dogs would have a comfort person being me. They both sleep with me. But Honey only does this in winter. In summer she likes staying outside, but in winter she will howl all night until shes in with me.

Ocea has a toy racoon that she carries around to most places she wants to have a snooze.

Honey until she was about 2 years old used to take everyones underwear off the clothes line and eat them. It was an expensive time in everyones lives having to replace undies every week haha.

11. In a safe but limitless place, can your husky be trusted off leash?

No. I wouldn't risk it. I think honey would come to me. But it's not worth risking her not coming back. And she has a massive prey drive. She's always catching pigeons if they fly too low in our yard.

And Ocea no. Shes just a pup.

Would be nice if there were a fenced in off leash dog park though where i live.

12. How does your husky show you that he loves you?

A lot of mornings i wake up to Honey spooning me in bed. Does that count? laugh.gif

I usually yell at Smokey for chasing after birds. I tell him "you can't fly buddy. If you can't fly you can't catch 'em." but if Honey can do it then I shouldn't yell at Smokey for trying. Unfortunately now he ignores birds and goes after the jack rabbits which are like the size of my cat here! thanks for responding :)

What's a Rep? It's short for Reputation. If you look at your profile, it's listed there. The more clicks you get from other members for helpful or like this post, simply great, members will click the "+" inside the little green circle at the lower right of your post. That in turn, adds to your Rep or Reputation. Hope that gives you a better understanding.

1) doesnt look at me and acts like im talking russian

2)sit,come,paw,go wee wee,high five and sometimes lie down and leave it

3)luvs his belly being scratched

4)not always

5)yes

6)no

7)eats washing up sponge and socks!

8)chasing other children and dogs in the park

9)he comes to me cause he luvs me ;)

10)eaten my brand new shoes never worn!!!

11)hmm depends how many dogs r around but i usually let him off anyway,ige t good exercise running after him but he does always come back if other doggies dont wat to play

12) i think so always comes to me for hugs n cuddles

The dirty look kills me. I had started to answer that question simply "all of the above," but then I remembered I had this vid and how he just GLARED at me. The little sh--!

Sampson does the same thing. He acts like that when we wants to go outside, wants a drink, wants to go for walk, pretty much anytime he wants something. Of course I wind him up by continuing to ask him what he wantsbiggrin.gif

Turns a deaf ear it's like your not even there

sit stay paw 2 paw fetch kisses wee wee's num nums (food) no, sort of knows leave when it suits him, off, belly rub walkies

belly rub

50/50

yes but maybe 7-8 times tops

possible zinc problem but not sure i'll let you know in the next couple of months

Bee and wasp chasing i can't get him to leave the buggers alone and always looking for food scraps when we go for a walk

Football he loves playing football with me in the garden

Person maybe me, place in the consevatory on the armchair with the door open

naughtiest i would say sock steeling he's been pretty good to be honest oh and destroyed a shoe

maybe i don't think he would run away but would run to the nearest person/dog and i'm pretty sure i'd have to go fetch him rather than him come back to me on command, saying that he will come back for treats on his 100ft lead, i do trust him not to bite or attack anything

tail wagging when i come in Sky jumping on my bed with face licking every morning without fail and from time time he will just come for a cuddle when i'm sitting down watching TV for like 10mins then he'll go again also if you lay on the floor he will just come lie next to you

I have loved this thread smile.gif I love that all the huskies are so alike and yet so very different, I know it sounds contradictory but I see my two in all the above huskies. Its like looking at all your photos, I can see similarities in facial expressions or body movements and yet each and every one is unique. We are all so very, very lucky to have them in our life. Soppy I know.rolleyes.gif

I have loved this thread smile.gif I love that all the huskies are so alike and yet so very different, I know it sounds contradictory but I see my two in all the above huskies. Its like looking at all your photos, I can see similarities in facial expressions or body movements and yet each and every one is unique. We are all so very, very lucky to have them in our life. Soppy I know.rolleyes.gif

I agree. It's so funny to read through these and see glimpses of your own dog. Like the laying on the floor and playing dead when they don't want to do something. We call that "the boat anchor" tactic.

echo- red

orca- purple

tells me off for telling her!!!!

no eye contact and sulks off dragging her paws

sit, paw, laydown, speak, out, leave , down, roll over, and gimme love! (envolves them both approaching me so i can kiss em on the nose!

as above

sides of face more of a face massarge though lol

belly by her daddy

when something small runs for it!

when another dog approachs

never just looks and me as if to say you threw it you bloody get it

nope she not interested

no just selective hearing!

none

her screaming noise as we go to the door for walkies gets excited but sounds like im killing her!!

chews everything in sight!!!!!

digging!!!!!!

loves running with me where as echos too bloody lazy

my feet!!

as long as she touching somebody shes happy

weirdest was they both went in garden and was playing both had there chain collars on and when they came back in orca had them both on her????? confussed the hell out of me

as above

when they were younger but cant now :(

as above

she gives me a certain look with ears down, and snuggles her head as far in my neck as it will go!!!

she loves my husband and always waits for him by the front door if he goes out and goes weak at the knees when he comes back

I agree with you Rosemary, it is just as you've stated, all the Huskies are so alike, and yet so different.

You know, if you have other types of dogs as well, you can tell us about them too. It'll be cool to compare their personalities as well! Just be sure to let us know what kind of dog it is.

Kaiser will stand with his head down but looking out the top of his eye's then just walk off

Sit , Paw , Down , High Five , Kiss, all for treats, but is starting to do Sit and Down on command. He also does 'run upstairs' , 'Jump on the bed' , 'Jump on the Sofa' , 'Dig a hole in the Lawn' and 'bury a piece of chicken in the rug'.......although he doesn't wait for me to say any of these :-)

Ears, chin and tummy, I think his tummy is his favourite as he rolls on his back and his back legs have a spasm

Erm.......yes

He will run after anything I throw, loves empty plastic bottles, once he's got it he runs off and chews it

No

Only his insistance of humping of less than attractive dogs and/or male dogs, good looking females is ok, he's my boy :-)

My wife gets annoyed with the noise his paws make on the wooden floor when she's in a strop but other than that he's a Husky :-)

running, playing with his Dog friends over the park.

He has a furry Duck that we got from Pets at Home which he loves, he actually choose it in the shop, pulled it off the shelf and carried it to the till.....and he hasn't destroyed it like all the others he's had. He won't sleep in his bed but curls up on the wooden floor under my feet.

Came home one day and found fifty pairs of shows piled up in the middle of the lounge, he'd chewed one single shoe of each pair of my wifes shoes, none of mine lol. came into the litchen once to find the oven door down, him sitting on it with his head in the oven.

No, I can safely say I have no recall.

He'll nudge my feet with his nose till I lay on the floor with him then he'll move about till his nose touches mine.

tries to eat me...seriously she will just try and eat me (never in an aggresive way...) or runs away

2. What commands/tricks does your husky understand? - will only do these for a reward, i never really worked and worked on the commands!

Sit, wait, paw (on both sides, when i offer my left hand she will give me right paw and vice versa), down, dead, up/stand, leave (this only works with Josh's toys - food, forget it!), drop it (again not with food, but a toy!), back

tummy or under the chin

yes, cos she's a pain and i haven't had the chance to teach her properly...the lady from where i took her for training classes has offered me her services, which i will take her up on at some point.

most of the time, after about 10 or so times she will just want to chew it...Josh gets upset and chases her round the garden yelling drop it at her...so funny! He then tries to tackle her to get it off her (he's 2 for those that don't know!) he is going to be a very good dog handler when he grows up.

nope, as far as i'm aware she is tickety-boo

steals food from Josh and won't leave the cats alone, but worst of all - STEPS ON MY BLOODY GARDEN PLANTS!!!

either on walks with me on her extendable lead, or running round the garden like a loon.

not really, she will always come for cuddles from everyone, she doesn't really have favourites!

chewed up the floor to the kitchen in our old house.

if it were a dog park that had super secure fencing i would let her off, but her recall isn't great....but saying that i haven't tried it since she was a pup, so who knows!

it may be seen as dominance by some people, but Eika is the most submissive dog i have ever, ever seen....so when she comes and jumps on us on the sofa and just rests her head on us makes my heart melt....or comes and gives kisses

...or she actually listens when i say/yell: GET OFF THE FLOWER BED!

Just a few questions to understand what type of personality your husky has. I am always enamored by the different personalities that huskies can have and would like to compare your husky's personality with Smokey's. Unfortunately I can't meet all of them so show me yours!

chats back, twists his head as if to say WHAT I AM A GOOD BOY!!!

sit sit and sit lol maybe paw sometimes, and only now learning left, right and stop! seems to know right easily!

his back and sides

tends to on walk but getting better, i walk him on harness and stretchy lead, trying to train for bikejorking? on bike he tries to pull always

yes a few times then bored moving on lol

nope

cries to go out in morn then pees anyway! or is let out then in space of hour pees again!

playing with my smaller dog and his walks

me!!! and the kitchen(his version of a crate) or behind my legs

you may be able to search my posts, he jumped baby gate chewed all extension leads, pulled 4ft tortoise vivarium of cabinet smashed glass, killed one of my hamsters, shredded jacks(gsd x) bed, then proceeded to pee everywhere!!! otherwise just typical husky stuff, digging destroying my skirting or any wood at teeth height lol getting better now please dont let anyone be put off lol!!!

no, but never tried really

chats at me when i come home jumps up( i know its wrong i am trying) grabs my hand, cuddles me when we sit on sofa, looks at me then flicks his ears back and wags his tail!

I have a lot more but I'm sure this list is already too long and I don't want people to be deterred by the midpoint if they get tired of answering questions. I will definitely post more later! :o)

Scoob doesnt disobey me, Nanook puts his ears down n leans on me, Mushu throws himself on the sofa n stares at me.

Scooby n Nanook know 'What do you do' when we get 2 a curb (they sit n wait) n they both know click n point for sitting. Nanook knows come here by curling my fingers Mushu doesnt know a damn thing !!!!

Scooby = Tummy Nanook = chest Mushu = ALL OVER

yes yes n yes

NO NO n NO

Scooby is fit as a fiddle n has been alll her life, Nook has had lots of little things n touch wood Mushu is fine soo far.

Scooby goes down the stairs sooooo slowly n my house has alot of stairs so it drives us all mad !!!!!

Nanook has started grabbing my arms with his paws n draggin his paws across them n it REALLY hurts n he even left a scar .

Mushu launches himself at me full pelt from the other room so he can get up some speed 4 maximum impact when im sat on the sofa ......... it hurts !!!!!

Scooby likes just walkin, Nook loves runnin free on the beach n Mushu just loves runnin of any kind.

Scooby likes anywhere dark n quiet. Nanook likes me n empty plastic bottles. Mushu likes it in the bushes on the upraised lawn with his planter where he puts all his toys or somethin hes snatched from inside the house oh n the parker lounger that he has now completly destroyed ! (i must put up another pic)

Scooby killed a Sheep also went missing from my estate yrs ago n i waited up all nite in the front room after hrs of searchin. Got a phone call some1 found her in their grandads garden curled up outdide the back door a mile away :o = worst things.

Nanook = really cant think of anything cos he is perfect !

Mushu its still early days 4 all that !

Scooby never in a million yrs, Nanook def trust 100% n Mushu at the mo but startin 2 get bolshy so prob not 4 much longer.

Scooby is very sparse in her affection but when she does its just a look or a small wag of her tail.

Nanook gives me the biggest hugs n kisses Huskily possible.

Mushu just loves his mummy n hugs n licks n jumps n just does wot normal puppies do.

Loved readin all the others, grat thread

Emily x

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone want to add to this thread? I may be biased b/c it's my thread but I'd love to hear from you if you haven't already posted. And if you have other breeds of dogs (just be sure to let us know what breed), well go ahead and add their responses too. Maybe even your significant other's responses as well. I don't discriminate :) LOL

Falkor's Answers

Noushka's Answers

He just plays like he's deaf and can't hear you

She will stand looking at you hownling, then run off howling

Sit, Stay

Sit, Stay, down, Sing

Belly

Behind her ears

Forever and ever, never seems to calm down

No, she will walk at the side of you after 5 minutes

Yes

Never, sometimes chases but never brings back

No

No

Walks round the garden whilst he is pooing

She is almost perfect

Falkor loves playing with other dogs and chasing them

Just walks at her own lazy pace

Loves his cushions in his cage, with all his toys in it.

Sleeps on the couch in the spare living room

He loves digging and eating the wife's plants, once i put one down on the decking in a pot and turned my back for 5 seconds and it was everywhere

Used to lie on our bed chewing toothbrushes, make up brushes, etc

He follows her, so see below

In large fielded areas Noushka as been walked off her lead for the last 5 years, recall is pretty good although she did run off over easter and go missing for 2 hours before coming home

He likes sticking his tongue in your mouth if you are asleep on the couch

Not very affectionate, will jump up if she hasnt seen you in a while