What are your best emergency recalls?

Odin's Beard

While I was out walking today, Odin slipped off his leash. We both looked at his collar and then at each other. He knew my sudden panic and decided to bolt.

My hands were shaking, my heart was pounding. He was heading for the city's MAIN BUSY street. In my head, all I could think was, "This is it" I was really close to crying.

When he got near the crosswalk, a man walking had turned a corner. His face was like O__O He crouched down and held his arms out as Odin ran into his chest. He grabbed onto Odin's body as I caught up and put his leash back on.

OH MY GOD, what a turn of luck that was. I was so thankful. I haven't told anybody yet because it sounds absolutely ridiculous. Like one of those things you just have to see to believe. Im still sitting here, trying to figure out what just happened.

The only other time he has got out was when he was 6 months old, fortunately I live in a rural area and I had a chip bag in my pocket. (He instantly goes for the crinkle sound)

As I reevaluate myself, I know there was a lot of things I had done wrong. Im really kicking myself in the behind about panicking lol but it happened :/

What are some of your emergency methods to recall back your dogs?

I would like to be better prepared, just in case :)

With Nanook I've found running backwards while saying (in a really really excited voice) "oh what's this?" Makes her stop in her tracks. We do practice recall in the off lead area we have found near us but we all know that it's not the most reliable with these pesky dogs we all love so much lol

Not had it happen with the other 2 but I would prob try the same with them and hope for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

The same thing happened to me one day. I was leaving the dog park and Yuki refused to leave. She plopped down and somehow slipped the collar. We both looked at eachother, then the collar, then at eachother again. I was still calm though and said 'stay' and tried to slowly grab Yuki, but she knew what had happened already and ran for the gates. I called for her to come but she wouldn't listen. Luckily the only thing on her mind was getting back into the dog park so she stopped once she got to the entrance and I was able to re-leash her, but now I've bought martingale collars as a precaution. As cruel as it sounds. my puppy is a husky puppy and if a martingale is what keeps her from slipping away from me its what I'll have to do. Of course when we went back to our recall training on her fifty foot leash that day she came to me just like normal, and then when we went to the empty dog park she came to me every single time. Gosh she is just too dang smart and stubborn!

Oh wow. That's always so scary. D; I just recently posted the story of what happened to Niko. Basically I threw a ball with a chuckit and it slung to the left towards the road. I heard a bus coming and screamed "NIKO COME HERE!" three times before he decided I was more important than the ball. Luckily he did stop and come running back to me but all I could picture was that bus hitting him. I cried and was shaky and scared too. XD I'm so glad he listens as well as he does. D; I picture that if I yelled 'Leave it' he would have listened sooner but, heat of the moment. What sucks though was just the timing of it all, we live on a road with almost no traffic in the middle of nowhere, I can take the dogs out and not see a car for days, so the fact the bus was coming just as I threw a ball into the road for the first time, wtf?

Think I wrote one of mine last week, something involving flip flops lol I'm a firm believer if you expect them to run they will, if you are confident they will listen, they are more likely to. It's not infallible but as Elly wrote above, she panicked. There was that split second where Odin read her and bolted in the opposite direction. Fortunately there was a very quick thinking, caring person to step into the breach on this occasion.

I read somewhere someone said their dog had got off its collar and that despite never having been trained in recall, it came back when they called/coaxed. Surely whether it be in the garden, in the house or outside, every time you call your husky to you it's practising recall in some small way? To say your dog has never had recall training is an oxymoron surely.

Be confident! Even in the face of uncertainty. Let your dog hear your expectation of compliance in your voice, not your fear :)

Edited by Povodny

I had sasha do something similar but she got out of the yard I didn't see her till she was across the road near the lane way I automatically ran after her while yelling at my partner to come with me (in the area we were in I wasn't letting sasha out of my sight) she ran along the footpath and stopped at roads an waited for cars like I've taught her to do and she ended up running for half hour in total to a Doberman we've never seen before we caught up to her and she thought I'd be fun to do laps around the tree in the yard we had to tackle her to stop her I looked pretty funny holding her like a baby walking back with her that's the only way she would sit. I called her she would stop and look but kept running. Now if I think she will slip her collar I raise my voice and say stop she sits and looks at me.

They have never escaped from me, but my husband has had a few bad moments. The last one was when he left the gate open and was packing something into the car and through the corner of his eye he saw two blurs disappearing down the drive. He called them, they ignored him. He ran inside to collect his car key, but when he got otside there they were, both walking back up the long driveway. He opened the boot of the LDV, they jumped in, and he took them for a drive - he aged five years in a few short minutes :rolleyes:

Suka will only come when called, when he escapes, when I hold up a piece of meat (like a friggin' steak), and he'll come bounding over all excited and innocent- like he was just out taking a leisurely stroll and would be back eventually. :rolleyes:

When Polee has been off leash previously and doesn't recall on the first try I simply say 'ok see ya' whilst walking away and she comes back to me. It's always different when they get off leash by accident as it's difficult for the owner to recall without any emotion in their voice. I can only suggest that everyone practices and practices recall training regardless of letting their dog off leash or not as you never know when it will be useful

my angel got out her harness sunday.

was on a country road that cars do 60 down.

also there is a field next to where she got loose that backs on to the m1 and the fence is small.

needless to say i was freaked out.

hubby was ahead of me so she ran between us back and forth for a while. After calling her a few times.and even shouting sit at her she came close enough for me to get her collar!

Angel has a high bond with me thankfully.

Had it been storm the story could have been very different :(

I have tried recall on long leads with him but he wont recall. at all.

My Sasha is the only one of mine that has got away from the lead. I remembered not to chase her but wasn't to sure what I could do. In a moment of stupidity I turned my back on her and ran the other way shouting "BYE". A quick glance saw a black blur chasing me so I stopped and she sat right next to me, allowing me to put the collar back on, slightly tighter this time. I don't think I'd like to risk it again though and I dread to think what could have happened.

Gary.

diva will come if i crouch down and say 'diva whats this'

the most ive had to say it is 3 times so shes pretty good with it xx

They have never escaped from me, but my husband has had a few bad moments. The last one was when he left the gate open and was packing something into the car and through the corner of his eye he saw two blurs disappearing down the drive. He called them, they ignored him. He ran inside to collect his car key, but when he got otside there they were, both walking back up the long driveway. He opened the boot of the LDV, they jumped in, and he took them for a drive - he aged five years in a few short minutes :rolleyes:

Ha ha Rosemary :) your husbands escapade reminds me of the one Peppa did at my granddaughters bday last year. She slipped her collar on the OH an ran out of the garden onto the road, I was stood at the car loading stuff in the back with the door open an she jumped in when I called and she saw me lol there was a mass of people in pursuit lol

if Gem is around they follow her as she has excellent recall - they are scared she gets a treat and they miss out, Tanna is definately more likely to listen than Storm but they usually come for a treat. Storm is the only dog I have ever come across that doesn't get excited when her lead is brought out. I only have to put my shoes on for the other 2 to start making a noise in excitement but she just walks away.

We practice emergency recall every weekend in the basketball court. Bear will come on vocal command with other dogs and people around most of the time but then she's not a pure husky and is far less stubborn. Ice is fine as long as he doesn't spot another dog or person, basically no distractions. Once he starts to run, there's no calling him back until he's been to say hello. He's slipped his harness a few times and we've been lucky that he's always stayed with us. Emergency recall is very important in situations like that, IMO.

While I was out walking today, Odin slipped off his leash. We both looked at his collar and then at each other. He knew my sudden panic and decided to bolt.

My hands were shaking, my heart was pounding. He was heading for the city's MAIN BUSY street. In my head, all I could think was, "This is it" I was really close to crying.

When he got near the crosswalk, a man walking had turned a corner. His face was like O__O He crouched down and held his arms out as Odin ran into his chest. He grabbed onto Odin's body as I caught up and put his leash back on.

OH MY GOD, what a turn of luck that was. I was so thankful. I haven't told anybody yet because it sounds absolutely ridiculous. Like one of those things you just have to see to believe. Im still sitting here, trying to figure out what just happened.

The only other time he has got out was when he was 6 months old, fortunately I live in a rural area and I had a chip bag in my pocket. (He instantly goes for the crinkle sound)

As I reevaluate myself, I know there was a lot of things I had done wrong. Im really kicking myself in the behind about panicking lol but it happened :/

What are some of your emergency methods to recall back your dogs?

I would like to be better prepared, just in case :)

You were fortunate that someone was there that was not afraid of the dog. I am wondering though what it is that you tried to do, because you did not mention if you called him or tried anything. My 3 got out of the yard once after the fence was broken due to a storm and we didn't know, and it was middle of the night. Boys came right back when called, but the little shit was gone for nearly 6 hours and went about 3 miles in that time, across 2 very busy roads. Fortunate someone found her. None have slipped their collars, and i'm not sure who said it, but martingale's are not cruel, they serve a purpose and ours all wear them.

You were fortunate that someone was there that was not afraid of the dog. I am wondering though what it is that you tried to do, because you did not mention if you called him or tried anything. My 3 got out of the yard once after the fence was broken due to a storm and we didn't know, and it was middle of the night. Boys came right back when called, but the little shit was gone for nearly 6 hours and went about 3 miles in that time, across 2 very busy roads. Fortunate someone found her. None have slipped their collars, and i'm not sure who said it, but martingale's are not cruel, they serve a purpose and ours all wear them.

I mentioned in my post kind of. I wanted to elaborate that I don't think its cruel, some people that I come across think I'm cruel for using martingale collars because they say it can choke my dogs but both of mine have slipped their buckle collars before and have not been able to slip a martingale.. so I don't think its cruel at all I think its safe :)

I have used the word 'Treats' as a training aid in recall. I train them in the garden, whilst on long leads or in enclosed areas. I have needed to use this twice with Mya and it worked both times thank god, she is very food orientated luckily.

Naya has escaped out the front door once, and slipped off her old harness/lead twice while out walking in the street.

With the house episode she just ran around our cul de sac, I got her back with treats.

The 2 times she slipped while out walking once I crouched down and called her and she came back other time I jogged backwards.

She only escaped for 30 seconds, felt like an hour!!

I always keep treats in my pocket, inside an empty bag of crisps just in case!

The biggest (and hardest) thing to do is to remain calm.

Fortunately Ryn is 'hardwired' to her mama and few things make her want to go too far from me.

It has happened, though usually it's because the leash has slipped my hand, not because she's slipped her collar. I use a semi slip collar.

My wife and son took our dogs out earlier in the snow, and Storm yanked the extendable lead out of my sons hand and legged it up the reserve. He completely disappeared from sight round a corner in the path. Desperate screaming on the part of my wife did the trick, and surprisingly he turned round. Unfortunately, just as he came within range to grab, our other decided it was time for a play (yes I was just saying yesterday how good it is that they now play, after 5 months of not doing so) and gave chase, both running through the smelliest bog. After their play they both came back, ABSOLUTELY STINKING (along with the lead that had also dragged through the bog behind them). I had to ask when they came into the house how two dogs can get so dirty in the snow.

i always use a harness, it's never slipped off Luka before like a collar would. Right now we're using the WYDWL harness and it seems pretty secure. Luka has gotten out three times and i've almost had a heart attack all three times.

the first two times we've been at home and he's slipped out the front door when a friend was over or mowed someone over to get out. Luckily both times a neighbor was out and he ran straight to them. Our neighbors love him so they aren't scared and i shouted to them to grab his collar. They did and he was taken back inside.

The last time it happened we were visiting my boyfriend's mother for Christmas at her house. She lives around 2 1/2 hours away and we were staying the night so we took the dogs with us. HORRIBLE. Luka about knocked Josh's mom down and bolted out the door. I was actually taking a nap and got woken up by Josh telling me Luka was gone. I literally burst into tears and went outside to try to find him. Josh's mom was already following him and trying to tell him to come. I yelled lets go inside Luka in a high pitched voice and once he realized it was me he bolted right to me and came inside.

I work with him on recall quite often and it's been discovered that i'm about the only person he will come to on command. With that being said i would never trust him off lead and try my hardest to not be put into those situations.