-15 expected in UK

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Val, did you not watch the programme about the snow? It was actually very interesting. And when they said we had the wrong kind of snow, we actually did!! It's to do with the shape of the snowflake. The ones we were getting when the diesel electric trains failed to function was because they're designed to cope with bigger flakes, the ones we were getting were small and got into the air vents, melted and shorted the trains!! Lol

There was a chap in Japan who grew snowflakes on human fair threads to catalogue the different types of flake. The fact we have this tradition of having white Christmases is largely brought about by Dickens. But when Dickens was alive, as a child there'd been a volcanic eruption somewhere i don't remember which had caused an ash cloud. The ash cloud was so dense it lowered the over all temperature which caused snowfall in Britain for about 7 years in a row. As an adult he wrote white Christmases into his books, we relate to his works and expect a white Christmas. There is also one recorded incidence of an avalanche in Britain, which caused the deaths of several people in the 1900's I think. It also mentioned the big 62-63 freeze but I don't remember in what context lol

lol cant quiet see us getting to -15 but snow is expected between saturday - midweek, Will be interesting to see if we have any grit left where i live in shropshire as ive seen so much been used when we been no where freezing, our contry is so un-organised when we get a little bit of snow will be interesting.

DONT SLAM ON YOUR BRAKES WHILE DRIVING ON SNOW/ICE....no matter what your brain tell you, you will not stop. Make sure if they use any kind of agent to melt ice/snow, you wash off your sibs paws; most of those chemicals are deadly for pets. Keep your extremities warm. You will loose heat the fastest through your hands, head, and feet. Your body is designed to keep your heart going. Know the signs of hypothermia. (I lived about an hour from where the donner party kicked the bucket, so we learned a lot of this stuff in school.)

http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/winter/staysafe/

Although only young I remember the snow in '63. if we have snow like that then nothing will be moving at all and the only way to get around will be to walk or get the dogs harnessed up;). In '63 there was so much snow came down overnight my dad had to dig us out of the house.

Gary.

Care to share some? This entire winter we had only two days of snow. And even that meant we just had the ground covered with a 1mm layer of snow :(

Though if your weather reports are anything like us that -15 will probably be something like -2 in only a few places, the rest of the country will just have rain. Despite that the entire public transport will be crippled regardless and massive traffic jams will appear everywhere. People will be late for their work all over the country because trains and buses won't ride and a massive outcry will be made on social networks by how cold it is :rolleyes:

But when Dickens was alive, as a child there'd been a volcanic eruption somewhere i don't remember which had caused an ash cloud. The ash cloud was so dense it lowered the over all temperature which caused snowfall in Britain for about 7 years in a row.

Can't recall when Dickens was around (Victorian times, surely?), but conditions like that sound like the Laki (Iceland) eruption of 1783 (ish) which was the closest we (as a planet) have (so far) come to a nuclear winter

I love part of the article (second paragraph) "Sudden Stratospheric Warming will leave every part of the UK at risk of snow." Or to put it another way, warming=snow :huh:

Can't recall when Dickens was around (Victorian times' date=' surely?), but conditions like that sound like the Laki (Iceland) eruption of 1783 (ish) which was the closest we (as a planet) have (so far) come to a nuclear winter[/quote']

Thanks for the correction, obviously I got the author wrong. If you find out who it actually was you can add that to :)