New Dog Laws In Uk

Please those in the uk take heed of these changes.

https://www.nawt.org.uk/advice/changes-dangerous-dogs-act-advice-owners

Now people only have to feel your dog is dangerous to put it in danger!! Doesn't even have to bite!

And the way huskies behave jumping up people etc this could be really dangerous for us.

Please those in the uk take heed of these changes.

https://www.nawt.org.uk/advice/changes-dangerous-dogs-act-advice-owners

Now people only have to feel your dog is dangerous to put it in danger!! Doesn't even have to bite!

And the way huskies behave jumping up people etc this could be really dangerous for us.

Gonna correct this as what you stated isnt correct. Just because someone feels your dog is dangerous is not enough, they have to have grounds to feel it may injure them ... So for example if a dog is barking like crazy at someone, however is on a lead and under the complete control of the owner then they would have no grounds to feel it may injure them as the dog is under control.

Personally I actually agree with the law put in place. There are too may people with extremely dangerous dogs (IMO) who will let them ina  front garden where they can easily jump who are then taughting people. This would now be grounds to prosecute. People who dont put their dog on a lead when walking past you and stood their barking and you and your dogs would also be grounds to prosecute. So its not altogether a bad thing, in fact it could benefit us.

we need to keep this in mind when we have meets then - the dogs play will be interpreted by other people around as being viscous and we could be reported - this happened at camp, we were reported to security for having dangerous dogs because they were play - you know how they play - biting each other rolling around - "boxing" etc security came and saw us and we showed them the dogs and they were more than happy - now however we could have issues 

Good info.

Echo could too easily fall into the category where people may "feel" in danger.

However I already have everything in place in the home, fully compliant.

Whether I worded it rightly or not it's still something to keep In mind especially at meets and camp like Sarah said.

My Inlaws have a dog who can be aggressive to strangers. But that said, if a dog is in the garden then people shouldn't enter it in my opinion. Especially if there's signs up!

It's a dogs natural instinct to protect their homes, how are owners meant to stop that??

I have close board 6ft fences all around with signs saying.

Warning Dogs running Free

and

Warning Guard dog.

If anyone wants to climb my fences and encounter Echo. . . .

I can see why they created the law, but wow that is pretty strict!  I don't think that a law like that would have a chance of passing anywhere in the US.  I am not sure how I feel about people being able to report my dog just because they "feel" that they are dangerous.  Like it was said, huskies play rough so it would be easy for the government to sieze them without the dogs actually doing anything. 

I already lock mine in another area when visitors arrive, like the pizza delivery, but for it to be a law?  Not sure about that.  Although I guess because some people don't know how to control their dogs ruins it for everyone

I totally agree with Louise.  Whilst I don't live in the UK anymore, this would really (insert swear word) me off.

What happened to being king of your castle?  My dogs go balistic when anyone comes to our door, we have a sign outside warning folk of just that.  I don't want random strangers turning up at my house as I'm sure most of you don't.

Whilst I understand there are dangerous dogs and if these attack then owners should be prosecuted and the animal destroyed, but to knee jerk like this is madness.  Perhaps the government should focus on locking up scoundrels, instead of persecuting responsible dog owners.

The Uk has gone PC mad!

If it's anything like the US then probably not. They always make laws here first and worry about implementation later. Or they create a law to protect or save money and it has the opposite effect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Am I missing something here. Why is camp even being mentioned? If a dog is on a lead and kept away from someone, no matter how scared, fearful, or worried they may die in the next 10 seconds they are that would not constitute "grounds to feel that a dog may injure them". We are talking about dogs who are roaming and people think they may be attacked, that is grounds.

A dog lose in a garden where the fence is low enough for the dog to jump and attack, that is grounds.

A dog which is allowed to jump up at someone when you answer the door, yes again that is grounds.

A dog who is on a leash and controlled, even if they are barking their head off, and has a big red angry cartoon sign above there head saying "Im not happy with you, people does not constitute grounds as it is under control. And that is the key term.

The people who they are trying to target are the people who are not controlling their animals, not the people who are.

Sorry for being so negative about the comments, but I do so for good reason. These laws end up getting scrapped because of opposition to them simply because people jump before they have read them properly. These laws are actually an extremely good thing, not only for people who do not want to be attacked by dogs, but also dog owners. In fact especially dog owners. If you walk down the street and a dog aggressivly approaches yours from 13th May you could ask for the owners to be prosecuted for it.

If you walk down the street and a dog aggressivly approaches yours from 13th May you could ask for the owners to be prosecuted for it.

this is what I'm glad of tbh I'm fed up of my dogs being on lead n getting attacked if the owners can be prosecuted for it then I'm all for it, my dogs aren't aggressive with people and are always on lead around other dogs so I'm not worried

I make sure that Skye is behind the baby gate before we open the front door, luckily we don't get many visitors lol.

At the back we have a couple of gates and 6 ft fences, the gates all have "dog loose at all times" signs so that gives a good heads up before coming through the gate, luckily many people shout out before opening.

When we walk, as she is so inquisitive and wants to know everyone jumping up was becoming a problem so i now hold her on a short lead at my side and we stop and wait for people to pass us (not sure if that's the right thing to do but it saves on the jumping up)

When encountering other dogs in the park however she has started to become more vocal, she kinda growls in a playful way but it sometimes sounds quite aggressive, some people have been concerned about it and i pull her away but other accept its part of dogs playing and getting to know eachother.

I'm with Marc on this one. The word "if you have grounds" make it all better than what it initially sounds like. Like Sarah have mentioned above, if somebody doesn't have a clear reason why they believe our pooches are dangerous (the way they play for example) and call the security guard, we'd probably get a quick check-up and they'd leave us alone soon after. This law definitely needs to be ratified by our government as well. It makes me feel safe. I truly have had enough of being chased down by aggressive little dogs who are freeing themselves from their gates in the matter of seconds. If I really could sue their owners for this, I would! =\ 

Ice can go on a mad moment whilst on walks and start fighting me for the lead (grab it and run) hes on a flexi, he was okay for a while but has started up again and seeing this has made me really worried as he can look like hes trying to kill me sometimes :o

Its not having reason to think they ar dangerous.. its reason to believe they are goinf to cause you harm and that is also a big difference.

Look at it this way. If I go to a zoo and there is a tiger there is it dangerous? Of course it is, its s Tiger. Do I have grounds to think it will cause me harm? No not at all its behind a safety fence.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I think it depends on how this law is applied. If it is applied in the spirit of the law (keeping people safe from truly dangerous animals), then it is a good, useful law. The problem would be here in the US that people would apply it vengefully, or ignorantly, and then there would be lawsuits and dogs being held who are not actually dangerous.

I would hate for a dog to be seen as dangerous because he accidentally slipped his collar and jumped up to greet someone.

Anyway, I can just see the possible negative outcomes if it were law where I live, in addition to possible positive outcomes.

That said, in the US, you would have a very hard time passing a law that had to do with things that happen on private property. If people have requested you not enter their property (no trespassing, no soliciting, etc), then I do believe they have a right to defend it. They don't know your intentions.

Edited by Chula

I agree that in the US it would be difficult if not impossible to pass a law similar to that especially at the federal level and even in most states. Even more so in Indiana which has strong laws protecting property.

There was an incident here that a pit bull bit a child severely and the city ordered the dog to be euthanized. They moved the dog to New York and the city pretty much said there was nothing they could do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2