• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LOL Back to the Topic

Sarah (Sarahjng. . . not Saz)

Do you have a decent photo of Bears head from the front on.

Your avatar pic of him as a puppy shows displaced ears as if he's part Malamute

but puppy pics aren't reliable.

If he is part Mal that would explain the extra poundage.

He might have had Mal in him several generations back 

Which would account for the extra size, but he looks far more Husky than Mal

Malaki and Bear, for comparison.

post-1354-0-59144600-1371720555_thumb.jp

and the original image if you wanna see just how big they can get.

post-1354-0-37899700-1371720590_thumb.jp

First, OMG he/she is gorgeous !  And no bear is no where near that big, (thank God)  but I do think there's a touch of mal there, so I guess the best thing to do is ignore the standard and as long as he's healthy, don't worry. 

First, OMG he/she is gorgeous !  And no bear is no where near that big, (thank God)  but I do think there's a touch of mal there, so I guess the best thing to do is ignore the standard and as long as he's healthy, don't worry. 

Agree 100%

Odin's 113.5lb

ARGH. That's it, he's on bread an dripping from now on and I'm going to stand him in the corner with bricks on his head.  How in the world do you simply cope with the size of him ?  I mean, if he decides he's lying down, your not getting him up without a block and tackle !  Hang on, haven't you got like 3 dog's, are they all like that ?  (He is a malamute right ?)  

Aww...Malaki's so handsome! :wub: 

And Bear, judging by that picture, may be a wooly husky crossed with possibly a Mal? 

Mine is 77 pounds, and I think he's part Mal (may not be 1/2, he generally looks more husky than Mal). He's too stocky to be a purebred Sibe, his chest is too deep, body is too long, muzzle too long, poorly set tail (too curly+bushy) etc.

Although, that all may be a result from poor breeding, now that I see just how bad his general health is, these days. :(

His earset:

suka_2012_christmas_by_canuckzd-d5rqmh9.

Typical trotting gait (usually his tail is tightly curled against his back, though):

trot_by_canuckzd-d4vc4b5.jpg

And MANY pictures here of him, showing him in different poses, etc: http://canuckzd.deviantart.com/gallery/10294229

It doesn't bother me he may be a mix, or that he's not within the standard. It's just all his health problems that bother me. 

The only way you can be sure is genetic testing...but even I'm iffy on those. Have heard some stories where they are completely wrong - even after you've dropped $140. 

Definitely something "Mally" there.

But agree, as long as he's healthy, that's the main thing. I've stopped going off breed standards, because Kodi doesn't match the Mal standard, and he's pure Mal...

Here's Kodiak...

post-8160-13717433335079_thumb.jpg

Kodi is 29 inches from floor to shoulder, and weighs in at approx 124lbs.... And he's still a pup (14 months)

Edited by RJS

I always wanted to ask if Bear is half malamute because the way he looks. I do think he has a bit of Mal in him, which explains his size and weight... although I don't understand all these pounds measurements... Can somebody translate that into kilograms please LOL 

I always wanted to ask if Bear is half malamute because the way he looks. I do think he has a bit of Mal in him, which explains his size and weight... although I don't understand all these pounds measurements... Can somebody translate that into kilograms please LOL

Kodi is about 56.5kgs

Wow!  Your Kodiak is like two of my Kodiak's put together LOL!

Definitely something "Mally" there.

But agree, as long as he's healthy, that's the main thing. I've stopped going off breed standards, because Kodi doesn't match the Mal standard, and he's pure Mal...

Here's Kodiak...

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371743329.248701.jpg

Kodi is 29 inches from floor to shoulder, and weighs in at approx 124lbs.... And he's still a pup (14 months)

In kilos he's 28.70, so compared to big kodi he's a baby,  and feel free to ask, I won't get annoyed unless you ask my weight, actually ask because I've now lost nearly 2 stone ( about 27 lbs so 15ish kilos ) and I'm happy dancing lol

In kilos he's 28.70, so compared to big kodi he's a baby,  and feel free to ask, I won't get annoyed unless you ask my weight, actually ask because I've now lost nearly 2 stone ( about 27 lbs so 15ish kilos ) and I'm happy dancing lol

wow compared to Bear, Diamond is a baby! He's only around 20-25 kilos! I don't see a lot of huskies every day always thought Dime is fairly large but turns out for a male he's actually somewhat smaller than average. He's also quite short too.. I think the last time I checked he's about 35 centimeters from the ground up to the withers. My neighbor's husky Shasta--also known as "Shazz" or "Saz"  :P -- is at least 5 centimeters taller than Dime and he's only 14 months old  :o

15 kilos wow that's a great achievement :D lost 2 kilos two days ago but gained another kilo today  :( would you mind sharing some secret tips LOL

No secret, lol I just got a dog that needs me to walk faster and further,  maybe I could market that as a diet,    spend a week at camp husky,  24 hour a day personal husky trainer with no time to rest, lots of ball and running games all the boiled chicken you can eat, we could make a fortune  :rofl:  :rofl: