What made you get a Husky?

wjmartins

018.jpg

There was no plan here, had a Lab mix, love of your life. Went to Walmart with wifey for groceries and as we came to the car, there was a pickup truck parked close-by with 5 Husky pups. Out of curiousity we went to look. Wifey picked up Een, 5 weeks old and fell in love. I asked the breeder if he had papers and he produced all the goods, plus a 2 month health gaurantee. When I asked him how much, he said $350. My wife thought I was joking when I walked back to the ATM to get the cash, and we purchased Een right there.

Nine months later, he is the love of our life. Guess, I can say I baught him at Walmart. ;)

Tell me your story.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Willem was that a blue light special?? Now I think I have the wrong store, that was K-Mart with the blue light specials, or was it???

I tend to keep two dogs, one I call my companion and one that's the watch dog. My companion for 13 years was a little spaniel mix called Blondie who decided that it was time to leave me. I still had Kahlah (black lab x ???, who was about 12 then) as my watch dog; she wouldn't've bit anyone, I don't think, but she'd make enough noise to make a stranger think twice. And if she didn't like you, you were going to back up!!

Since all of my animals for many years have been pound rescues, I headed to Rosenberg and then Ft Bend pounds (I lived south of Rosenberg, outside Houston then). There, among all the pit combinations was this Husky - had a collar on her with the name Misty. I asked if she was available but she had 4 - 5 more days on hold for the owner to reclaim her, so I brought Kalah up to visit - wasn't great, 1 year old Husky pup, 12 year old Lab ... can we say "disinterested", but also no blood. I gave them a couple of more visits, both with and without Kalah and when her time was up I took her home. They kept the collar, I kept the name.

Sometime I wondered why, headstrong, stubborn, irritating - worse than any live in female! On the other hand she's brought me more shear pleasure and frustration than any of the other dogs I've had for a long time.

Kalah's since gone to join Blondie and my watch dog now is a real Heinz ... momma was something like a ridge back x greyhound and daddy was a rottweiler x ??? ... but that's going way off topic, as if a good part of this hasn't already.

I always wanted a dog.

After years of bugging my dad, he finally let me get one. I originally wanted a puppy, but he put his foot down at the one, so I went to the humane society instead. I saw a beautiful white German Shep named Charlie - and I was really close to adopting him. Unfortunately, when I came back a few days later, he was gone. (Learned later he was adopted! :) )

In his place, in the exact same kennel, was Suka. I hesitated, because I read how tough Sibes can be to take care of.

He was just absolutely adorable - and stole my heart away. When I looked at the tag, my heart dropped a LOT because he was 6 years old. Nevertheless, I still intended to adopt him. Just to make sure, I went home and reread what I saw on the internet about Sibes and showed my parents. They agreed.

We came back the next day so we can do a meet and greet. He was the FIRST dog that didn't bark at my Dad...all other dogs would bark and growl at him, and thus he was terrified of dogs! Suka, however, didn't bark at him. Only smelled him.

We adopted him the next day; and eventually my Dad's fear of dogs went away. :)

My husband had a husky pup when he was younger but his parents gave him a new home when his mother became super frightened of him. He was devastated. Hearing his story, I began to research the breed more and realized that they were perfect for us! They love kids, NOT a watch dog, beautiful AND they don't smell like dog (i HATE that smell). All the positive things about our Pongo definitely exceed the negatives and I wouldn't trade him for the world! I don't even mind wearing a husky fur coat when he blows lol. everywhere I go there is a piece of Pongo with me that's for sure!!

Originally adopted a Pitbull x G. Dane mix from the Humane Society, had her pass away in her sleep at 8 months old, fell into a deep depression, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, just wanted to laze about all day.

21st birthday was coming up, ex fiance and father decided they alone couldn't pull me out of my self induced shell by Lilly's passing, so they found me the biggest pain in the hind end breed they could, they visited the litter of puppies, picked the biggest, calmest, fluffiest one they could find, placed a deposit, they weren't sneaky and I discovered their plans, and eventually had a hand in picking up my Blaze-a-kin boy!

Here we are, happy as a clam, he keeps me on my toes, challenges me constantly, but is smart as a whip, is such a joy with his non-stop antics and delightful noises.

Best 'birthday surprise' I ever received!

Always wanted one since I can remember.. was always fascinated with wolves and huskies; they made up most of my stuffed animal collection as a child :P

My dad however refused to have a dog, so after he left, my mom got us a rescue pup.. not a husky, but I was only 10 at the time and quite happy with any dog! After 10yrs she passed away with cancer :( 3 months later I couldn't stand the empty house anymore and looked on a rescue website, jokingly looking for huskies in Louisiana :rolleyes: And here I find a a pretty female and a young male about 30min away from me! Shocked to say the least lol. After looking into both of them I decided the male was better fit for my home - the female was a rescued breeding bitch from a puppy mill, trying to regain her health and was still very wary of people :( I still lived with my mom at the time and she had company over quite often, so I didn't feel that it was right to put her in the middle of that.

The male was a young stray, came with a foot injury, and a few months later, heartworms :( But all has been taken care of! Including the horribly unfitting name the shelter gave him - Harrison :confused: lol.

Loved them since I was a kid, I did research into them for about a year or so before I got Yuri my border collie cross. When Yuri was 8 1/2 months we decided to get a second dog. I was looking for a sibe and there was Aya, she was perfect for us. Then came Shiloh and Freya. The rest is history really, they have taken over my life and I love every single one of them and even though they can be a pain in the bum I would never be with out them. I love the way they 'talk', jump up at me when I get home so excited to greet me and I love their fur so don't mind wearing it.

The fact that other people don't want them!

Both of my crosses came to me as unwanted, problem dogs, while Wyatt, the purebred, was found on a kijiji-type website for free. We consider him a rescue too, because when we picked him up he was malnourished and frostbitten. My family has always been a haven for unwanted dogs, but somehow I always end up with the huskies!

I blame Jack London. As a child I was an obsessive reader and at the age of 11 or 12, I came across Jack London. I started with "Call of the Wild" and "White Fang" and went on to read through most of his novels. As a result, I was hooked on the idea of the "frozen north" and having my own team of sled dogs battling through blizzards and living on what I could trap (bit of a strange fantasy for a boy living in the urban wastes of Slough but there you go). I was able to have a trial run during the incredibly cold winter of 1962/63 when it started snowing on Boxing Day and we had 18 inches of snow in our town. The temperature didn't rise above freezing until mid March. At the time I had a mongrel called Rusty who became my surrogate sled dog pulling me down the icy hills of Salt Hill Park on a home-made sled. After that winter my dreams went on hold while I got on with life, education, career, marriage and kids, but I never forgot my aim of having my own team of sled dogs. By the time I was in my mid forties, my marriage was over and I met the most amazing woman and fell instantly in love with her. Like me she loved dogs and when we got married in 1994, Terry bought me my first husky - Merlin - as a wedding present. We had researched the breed thoroughly and had visited breeders, owners, dog shows and rallies. It took us almost two years to find Merlin's breeders and convince them to let us have a puppy. Merlin was an amazing dog and an amazing introduction to owning a husky. Within a few weeks our formerly neat garden closely resembled the Battlefield of the Somme and he taught our staid old Labrador how to open doors and windows, how to steal food from the kitchen and how to melt your heart with a look. Merlin was followed fairly quickly by three more dogs and by the time they were all a year old, we had our own racing team. It's all been downhill from there really!!!

Merlin (maybe a little spoiled)

MERLIN.gif

Our first four huskies

RACE1.gif

Mick

I have been fascinated with wolves since I was a kid. I read everything I could find written about them for years. As I grew up, I realized that I could never have a real wolf as a pet, so I began to educate myself about the next closest thing, Siberian Huskies. The more I learned about the breed, the more I felt that this was the dog for me. When we bought our current house in 1993, one of my first thoughts was, I can get my Husky now, because this house has a HUGE, completely fenced in yard! We got our first Husky 3 months later and have never looked back. I love their intelligence, independence, and yes, even all that hair!

29 years ago my husband decided he wanted a husky. Not knowing the breed then I decided GS would be better :) so we got two. Then the kids came along and we lost the GS at the age of 10&11. No more dogs I said.... The kids didn't let up so we decided after having large dogs we would go for a small breed.

Do we had a llapha aspo if I've spelt it right :) we had him for 14 years. Again when he passed away I said no more kids all grown up now it's time for me and OH to have a life.

I found the house too quiet so we decided once again to get a dog. OH said a husky so we did our research and got Freya :) the best dog ever. But then she needed a companion so along came Indi they get on so well together :) must be mad coz we have just added Brooke a 8 week old pup :)

Well life has never been this good

post-9257-0-53656900-1362524217_thumb.jp

post-5129-13585995357243_thumb.jpg

My story is a lot like the others; loved wolves as a kid, wanted the "next best thing". Though I grew up with a Border Collie, I always wanted a husky more than the other breeds I liked (Borders, GSD's and a few others). Was only a couple of years ago that I finally got my first husky. She was going to be raised to race but she died at 9 months or so. It's been a couple of years since she died and now I'm going to pick up her grand-nephew and an older female and can't wait!

I wasn't looking in having a dog at all we have our german shepherd whos 11 he was 10 at the time and we didnt think of getting another untill he passe. I fell in love with an alaskan malamute on our trip to crufts, i then couldn't stop thinking of getting a dog of my own and then my mums friends husky had puppies and asked if we wanted to go see them and i couldnt stop thinking about maybe having one and my mum said yes :) i picked Niko at 1 day old, we went every week. When they were 3 weeks old we started to pay attention to another 1 who adored my mum and followed her and cuddled her constantly, 2 weeks later we then decided on getting him :) and now we have Niko & Chance

I first saw huskies on a holiday to Canada many years ago and decided when I emigrated there I'd definitely have one or two to go along with my lab/chow/gsd mix. Things changed, lost Murphy to cancer and got divorced instead of emigrating LOL! I knew that I couldn't be without a dog-sized dog for long so as soon as I found a rental that allowed pets I started trawling websites. I knew I'd find the right dog when it was meant to be and saw a picture of Taiya the day after I moved, even though I'd been looking for a pure husky there was something about her that just drew me to her so a week after moving house (a year ago huskyfest weekend!) we brought her home from the RSPCA. Six months later I started hinting at another dog and after moving again (I know 3 times in 2 yrs!) I started trawling the sites again. Blue was the 3rd husky we visited and I knew the second we saw him that he was coming home with us there and then. Hopefully my house will eventually sell and i'll be able to buy again, getting out of the landlord restrictions on pets, which means we'll be able to get another one or two - Andy wants a Mally pup next (even more so after meeting Bear at the weekend!). Just wouldn't be without them :D

I had never had any interest in the breed at all.

Then I met my husband and he said if he ever had a dog it had to be a husky.

After reading up on them I wasnt so sure it was a good idea.

Then one day I was browsing friday ads website for baby annabel clothes for my daughter and I saw the ad for Storms litter. The fact they were crosses didnt bother me, in fact I wondered if having a cross would make it easier.

So we went that very day to visit the pups, had to drive for 2 1/2 hours to see them.

Fell in love with Storm, which I had decided was going to be the name before we met the pups. Storm just seemed to suit the name, he sat in my arms and went to sleep.

Apparently he was the loudest one there, yup thats stormy! lol

Angel well I saw her on the huskies in need website and fell in love with the beautiful girl with the sad blue eyes. They are no longer sad now :D.

i found diva from browsing through pet ads online saw a pic of her and her litter mates aged 6 weeks and complete fell in love with the breed emailed the breeder with out the OH knowing took him on a wild goose chase to see her and the rest is history he adores her as do the kids and jessie xx photo of the other half and diva they are so in love lol

post-5861-13585995397377_thumb.jpg

my bf, after seeing one advertised i decided to reserch the breed, which brought me to here! i wasnt too sure if i wanted a husky, especially after reading up on what they are like lol. we went to cannock to meet her, staye for a hour and left saying we would go home and think about it. my bf fell in love there and then but, as cute as she was, i wasnt too sure. still, we went back the next day after lots of moaning by the bf and brought her home. it wasnt until a few days after that i truely did fall in love with her. now the bf wants another one, but im putting my foot firmly down on this one lol. no more! at least not for a few years lol.

Lol....

I wanted a rotti so I could have a big scary dog to protect me when I was out walking them and stuff.....

My OH wanted a Malamute....

I started researching Malamute found the huskys then after looking through a few adds we found one only an hour from us so went to look...Fell in LOVE with miss bella straight away paided our depoist and then went home 2 weeks later went and picked her up <3 Now she is 1 year old and a beautiful girl!

~It's Bellas Birthday today!!! My baby is now 1 year old!!~

parents n lil bros went on holiday - i stayed home to look after bings

they came back told me they had seen a husky n it was gorgeous - lil bro LOVED wolves at the time

they told me they were thinking of getting 1 - so i found a breeder the same week - gave him a ring went to see pups next day n put a deposit down on blaze at 4 days old

bet the parents wished they had never told me now :P

Wanted a husky for as long as i can remember. Got 2 other dogs but ive always liked bigger dogs more than little rats. Thought my own dog would help with my confidence issues etc. Did months and months of research, which was basically for nothing because he's nothing like they say huskies are like lol.

Went to pets at home one day and saw an add on their board for Husky pups for sale quite close, black with blue eyes. Jumped at the chance!

About 5 weeks later brought Diesel home. Now i want another! :lolman: