Rules in your home?

Marc

Was just curious as to see if anyone else has rules with regards to the dogs in your house?

Reason I'm asking is it drives me up the wall when Kimba and Kaiser come in the house full of mud and that mud is transfered to our leather suite. Was thinking of trying to make it a rule that they dont go on them and train them as such, however I've just kinda been putting up with it. The only one we have that we always stick to is that they dont go upstairs.

So what rules you guys have?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before we got our boys the rules were:

No feeding off your plate

No treats unless training

No going on beds

Not allowed on sofas unless invited

No off lead walks unless secure area

If they dont eat their main meals then no treats

Well at first started off well but it seems certain people, around the house (not naming names), seem to find it too difficult to stick to them.

here, we have no getting on the furniture, no going upstairs unless invited, no going in the kitchen, no begging when people are eating (it will result in her going in her bed) & no running out of an open door & spending 2 hrs being hunted down!! OK, VERY hard to implement the last rule when Myshka can run faster than us!

Ok we have a few house rules.

1) Paws must be wiped when coming into the house (both sit and give all 4 paws - full body rub down if it's raining)

2) No going into the flowerbeds

3) Must sit and wait for their food

4) Must sit and wait before exiting the front door for walks (very important rule, remember you are pack leader so exit first)

5) Only allowed on the bed if invited (very rarely)

6) No staring whilst we eat our food

7) No nipping, biting etc

8) No drinking my beer

9) No changing the TV channel when I leave the room

10) Put the toilet seat down after using

11) leave the towels tidy in the bathroom

Oh sorry got carried away a bit at the end.............started to meld the dogs and kids rules together

lol steve!! Oh Andy didn't mention the other important rule Suka has...No mauling the kids, no taking anything off them unless they are giving it to him, he isn't allowed near them when they eat and they aren't allowed near him when he eats, he has to sit and wait for food, he has to sit nicely before we put the lead on him...can't think of any others just yet!

I'm trying to enforce many rules but its just not happening, she doesn't listen! I'm really struggling walking her at the moment, she pulls like mad and is so strong now...think i'm going to have to stop doing just a 'walk' and train her on it...we started off so well and its just got lax lately...

must Lay down and stay while humans are eating..

not allowed on sofas unless invited unless their one in conservatory...

never eat eve meal till i have eaten mine.

dont pick on the Sheltie

don't chase the cat's

leave me alone when formula 1 is on..

i walk thru doors first.

sit before food is put down

stay in conservatory when muddy etc ... after walks

no animals in kitchen when im cooking.

Marc have you tried stair gates to limit the access they have around the house....... i have one in conservatory stopping access to main house...one in hall stopping access to upstairs and one across kitchen door ..... that way i can controll when they have access to certain parts of the house....

oh yeh and dont mug the granchild lol

Bo has fewer rules now than when he was younger -- perhaps it's just because those rules have become habit for him so I don't have to enforce them anymore.

The biggest one for us is to have his paws and body wiped down when it's raining out. The hardest one now is daily grooming. He thinks I have every intention of killing him when the brush comes out (or so he acts). Though, thanks to Amy, we now put lavendar oil on his muzzle and he calms down quite a bit for this routine.

• 4 weeks later...

i know this is a month old. but thought i would add.

I have lots of rules.

Must wait at each door way for me to go through first.

No hyperactive play indoors

Must sit and be calm for food.

Must be at least 10 feet from us when we are eating.

Paws must be wiped if its wet out at the doorstep.

No barking

No jumping up

Not aloud to linger in the kitchen. Especially when cooking

Not aloud in the baby's room (unless invited)

No taking of anything from the baby.

No touching of the baby's toys.

So far, she's following all the rules. I think all dogs do best when they have rules that they must live by. Otherwise its Chaos.

My head is spinning!... I have one rule only... YOU DO AS I SAY!... hahaha!

On a serious note... if I put my hand out flat side to them it means stay... that's all it means...

if I pad the couch, they are invited on it, otherwise, no couch..

We have trained them with hand signals and the quick "Shh" for "stop" or "no"... we hardly use words... it is important for me that they understand me withour words due to me illness, and the fact that with signals, it won't matter how noisy or far they are, they know exactly what I want them to do... it has worked great so far... Nina likes to act dummy sometimes, but it never gets out of hand... Shiloh, he has never not obey... so far so good...

I made it clear to my kids what the signs are (almost like using sign language), so we are uniform and while out, there are no confusion when hearing other pet owners scream and shout commands!.. hahaha!... this technique has also been very useful when taking photos, only a hand signal and they know what to do... now... If only I could teach them to do the laundry!!!!! hahaha!!!

• 2 months later...

I have a few house rules for my pup Tala, these include:

She has to sit and wait for food

No begging

No biting

No jumping up (As she tends to try to nip our noses!)

Not allowed uninvited onto our laps, furniture etc.

Not allowed on the beds!

No protest barking lol

She's pretty good considering her age as she does do the above - though it can be a matter of patience sometimes :D

No dogs on sofas is a general rule however cos were such big softies its:

- No dog of sofas UNLESS they are invited, and actually they get it and you'll never see a dog on our sofa unless we have told them to be up there.

- If they are muddy they must stay in the hallway where we have a stone floor until they are clean and dry >> they dont mind being away from us, in fact they often both wonder off to a place in the house with stone flooring

- No dogs on beds, bar Alaska is allowed on mine ONLY >> quote my mum: "Hey if you want a muddy dog on your bed thats fine, but on no one elses" LOL

-No jumping up >> unless told to, again they really know their not allowed unless we say "upupup"

- NEVER leave a husky alone in your kitchen lol

-Dogs must sleep seperately...dont wanna come down to a blood bath or to find Alaska has bullied Balto out of his bed

- When going out close all doors and baby gates and leave dogs in their seperate confined areas

And the most important rule: Dogs must listen and respect the family and we must in return listen and respect them. So if we say down off the sofa and they get down we dont expect to find them on it again in 2 mins. But when their ill or need a cuddle we let them come up and so on...... My mum says dont make a habbit of it tho:)

Getting them used to only being invited may be hard for a while, Alaska has known this rule from 7weeks and Balto was never allowed in his old home so he always looks super grateful when hes called up;)

Er? fairly relaxed really, just a few to prevent mob rule really.

1) No stealing out of another dogs bowl

2) No snatching

3)No mobbing, wait your turn for food and treats

4)No arguing

5) No peeing up the doors

6)No scraps from plates

7) No counter surfing

8) If I wan't to sit down, move, or at least move up.

9) No going upstair till bedtime

10) singing permitted only in civilised hours

11) Play permitted, but if you want to get REALLY boistrous, take it outside.

12) If I say "In" you come in and if I say "out" you go out

13) When I say "grub time" you assume your positions in the feeding line

and

14a) When I say "Haw" you turn laft

14b) When I say "Gee" you turn right

14c) When i say "on by" You don't chase the wild ponies/deer/rabbits

14d) *Impotant* When I say "HIKE" you RUN :D