BIG FORUM MOVE

Marc

Hi Peeps,

Some of you will have seen that I have been dropping the occasional hint around the forums that there something big coming to www.husky-owners.com . So here is the announcement that will tell you everything you need to know.

Obviously most of you will have seen by now the results of the poll regarding the gallery. Now this post went up because of the possibility of moving to a very new forum software however one that has not as of yet got a gallery available for it. THE MASSIVE bonus however is that the posting of images into topics themselves are done in a way that is extremely simple and shows in exactly the way we want them to show up. To me and many others this is a huge advantage.

To illustrate this there is a video here which will show you how this works. Please watch till the end as this is actually the video that shows when they changed the system over to be able to post multiple images very easily indeed. (would suggest watching the HD version - If you are already on it, the HD will be in blue)

The other advantages aside from this is that this software is written by the guys who left the company our old forum software was written by. This doesnt sound like much, however to put it in context, if the forum game was a game of physics, these guys are like Stephen Hawkins IMHO. They are good, and very good at that.

The interface is much cleaner looking, the annoying errors we have on here are virtually none existant over at the new software even though the software is very new, and the forum is very very very fast in comparison to any forum software I have seen for a long time.

Provisional date for moving will be a week from today, being Saturday 14th May. From this date the gallery will no longer exist and we will have forum areas in which people can post and categorise their images. We are hoping that the bar with images along the top of the forum will stay in some form as we will be grabbing the images from this area.

The design of the forum is currently being done by myself, further amendments likley then to be made my myself and Jos once we are live on the new system. For the most part it will look very familiar, however you will find things much easier to find, getting to areas with less clicks of the mouse than you have previously. I have attached a sneak preview of the new forum layout to this post for anyone who wants to see.

Please note that on the day of moving, the site will likely be unavailble for the majority of the day. This is a big move, and will need a lot of testing once the data is converted.

I would like to make you aware of some items of the forum that will not transfer over during the move:

• Blog data - We will have a blog on the new forums, however the data will not be transfered from the current one.
  • Gallery data - ALL gallery data will cease to exist on the new forum. - I will have access to it, however nobody else on the forum will. Please ensure that if you have been using husky owners for storage (which people shouldnt be anyways) that you retrieve them all well in advance of friday night.
  • Arcade - There will be no arcade on the new forum initially, however this is functionality that I hope to replace in the next few weeks.
  • Membermap - There will be a membermap, however will work in a VERY different way to the current one. I am hoping to write a new membermap myself, however this will take time.

What we will gain

• Better stability in the forum software
  • Cleaner layout
  • Image uploading that is very simple for everyone
  • A forum that is easier to use for everyone
  • A new LIKE type system that will replace the current reputation system (rep will be converted)
  • Removal of problem "double posting" within a topic/thread - The forum will deal with this, and correct it for you.
  • A full newsletter system
  • Better notification system
  • Tag-like system as there is in places such as twitter .... For example type "I believe @marc is doing the update to the forum" and I would recieve a notification to say I have been mentioned in a topic
  • Twitter users can have a twitter block within their profile page
  • Signatures will only show once for a user within a topic, meaning faster loadtimes for people on mobile devices
  • Better compatability with iPad
  • Removal of user rights to post links below X amount of posts, meaning removal of spam
  • Full feed page for watched items
  • Full feed page for all activity on the forum

This is just the items off the top of my head. There will no doubt be items that will need some tweaking once we have moved, but overall I believe this is a great decision for the forum.

[ATTACH]9093.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-1-13585965797659_thumb.png

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

cool but

Please note that on the day of moving, the site will likely be unavailble for the majority of the day. This is a big move, and will need a lot of testing once the data is converted.

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o:(:(:(:(

oh well, thank god I work on Saturdays. That will keep me busy I spose.

looks good - a quick question bout the blogs tho - how am i gonna go about keeping them? not bothered bout all of them - mainly my driving 1 - should i turn it into a thread instead?

good idea, i would either save it on your pc for now, or paste it into a thread.

This looks immense.

Whhooooo hoooo.

Can't wait to play :lol:

Been viewing some other videos from that guy. And for some reason what he shows of XenForo somehow immediately makes sense. Unlike some other forum software (this and a few other) where some features are either very good hidden, or unnecessary complicated. Looking quite forward to develop in it :)

Im sad about the gallery, but all these other features sound awesome.

Tagging people will definately make referencing other users a lot easier, because I tend to mention people a lot during posts and just hope they look lol (i.e. Nix lol)

Stacey xxx

Will RSS feeds show more than just the title of the thread when the move is made? Would love to see some of the actual post in the RSS feed.

I might be wrong as I just took a quick peek, but it looks like you won't be able to see the replies and the actual replies in XenForo. Only the newly posted topics, title, author and time (and possible the amount of replies if your reader supports it).

Been viewing some other videos from that guy. And for some reason what he shows of XenForo somehow immediately makes sense. Unlike some other forum software (this and a few other) where some features are either very good hidden, or unnecessary complicated. Looking quite forward to develop in it :)

That'll be Kier then :D