Today My Dogs Killed A Cat :-(

I am devasted there was nothing I could do, and I have been trying not to cry this morning.  I have brought the cat home with me.  But I am not sure what to do.  My other half and son say I should just bury the cat and not say anything , but, I cannot do this.  They are worried about reprisals as we do not live in the best of neighbourhoods and they are worried that they may do something to our dogs, they have given an example of throwing poisoned food in the park !!!! 

I am going to call the vets to see if they can scan to see if the cat has a chip.

Normally the cats will all leave the park when the dogs arrive, we had been there 10 mins already. 

:runfree:  RIP Little cat. 

Oh geez Kati, I am so sorry that you have had to go through this. 

It is my opinion that cats should not be allowed to roam around in the neighbourhood, it is very sad for you but it is in no way your or your dogs fault. 

I am not sure of how to move forward, I guess the scanning for a chip seems like a good thing to do, but I wouldn't blame you if you decided on a burial :-( 

Again, try not to beat yourself up on this, the only people to blame are those that let their pets wander around  :(

Edited by Jase

I'm sorry that this happened, the cat clearly wasn't very dog weary. But as a cat owner i would like to know it had died rather than wondered what happened and search for it etc. I'm sure if its chipped and taken to the vets they would phone the owners, as others have said, say you have found it that way less risk to your dogs or you.

Well after bursting into tears and having a very kind boss who let me go home to do what I think is the right thing and what I would want someone to do if it was my cat.   I  have taken the poor cat to the vets who scanned but found no chip.  they are keeping the cat in case some one calls in.  I called the police and they have said they do not take reports for this kind of thing.  The lady I was speaking to gave me her collar number and name in case we get any problems from this.

I just had a picture in my mind of someone wondering what had happened to their cat.  I don't think I could live with the thought I did not try to do something.

That said, they are prey animals and all dogs are and unfortunately they act on instincts.  I have a cat so even though we are careful We are now going to have to be even more aware. 

My heart is very sad for the poor thing.  But I am worried.

Sorry to hear that. My dogs also killed a cat before but it was an outdoor barn cat.

You did all you could do, unfortunately the prey drive just kicked in. RIP kitty :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have feral cats that emanate from our neighbors.  Zoya did one in last year.  There are still about six or seven cats running around.  In our case, the neighbor does not feed them or anything.  They have a cat that keeps having litters and they just populate the area.

So sorry Kati. Before we had the dogs we used to rescue cats and ours were always chipped and neutured. Whilst that doesn't mean this particular cat wasn't loved it does mean it's owner wasn't very thorough in it's care so unlikely they will be out looking for him.

Having said that it doesn't make it any less painful for you, I get upset when mine catch and kill a mouse.  But as you know it's in their blood and it's what they do.

Sending lots of hugs.

XXXX

Really wish people would be more responsible with cats and keep them from roaming. As much as it's someone else's animal and it's sad the dogs got it, maybe it'll make the owners (if it had owners, I guess) think twice about letting their other/future cats roam. It's not really a nice thing to say, but as far as I'm concerned if there's a cat (or any animal I guess, but cats can jump fences with basically 0 effort) on someone else's property or in public and is hurt/killed by another animal, fair game. I'm not gonna go to the effort of trying to keep other peoples animals out of my yard, it's not my problem. Don't stress yourself over it too much :)

Edited by Dan

So sorry to hear, hope there's no repercussions for you. Seems the cat wasn't chipped, here in Australia it's a legality to microchip your pets. So you might have that to go on if anyone irks up about your dog. The husky prey drive is the one and only thing I can fault the breed on, and it isn't really a fault - it's in their genetic make up. 

Hope you feel better soon. 

not your fault and you have done everything right after finding the poor thing

your conscience should be clear... if still no one comes forward then offer to bury the cat if it hasnt already been disposed of by the vet,

hugs kati

I'm sorry you have such a difficult situation on your hands. As a cat owner & for many reasons, I keep my cats indoor 24/7. I hope you do not blame yourself for this. It's an unfortunate, natural occurrence. I see more dog bite cases coming into our law firm, but nothing involving cats. As long as it didn't happen on the owner’s property, I don't believe there would be much for them to do (against you). If you find the owner, maybe treat them to a cup of tea & offer your deepest condolences.