Where Does Your Husky Sleep?

mindym09

We've had our baby for about a month now. (Hes 3 months now) Got a nice crate and have been crate training. He use to yelp and howl at night (in the crate) but he would eventually stop. He was doing so good and made it a couple nights without any noises or accidents.

Well I don't know what's with him, but the past few days he is not having it at all. He will not sleep in there at night. Just all of the sudden hes like this. He will cry and whine forever. But if we bring him in our room, he'll go right to sleep in his bed and not a peep all night.

Should I keep trying to keep him in his crate at night? Even though he's a prefect angel in our room? He's use to his crate in general, I don't know why all the sudden he's like this...

in their crates at night, but they can come and snuggle on the sofa if we are home

if they were allowed to be out of their crates at night it would cause so much confusion as they have always been taught that night time equals crate time

I think in the long run it's much better if your dog is crate-trained. It gives you a peace of mind and makes life easier. It seems to me that one day he had a regression and you gave in by letting him into your bedroom. Since then he learned that as long as he annoyed you enough, he'd get what he wants. Once he became 100% potty-trained, 100% crate-trained, out of teething stage and reliable without supervision, he can sleep in your bedroom. Until then I guess not.

Mine sleeps on the floor by the way. No crate, no bed. We have an indoor tie-out for him when we have to leave him home alone. Unfortunately that's the only way of sleeping he knows, and he won't have it any other way.

My guys aren't crated except at camp.

Darwin sleeps in the living room and Echo sleeps either on the small bed in the box room or on the landing outside my room.

However I have a dog flap in the back door that leads to a fully secure garden, they have 24 / 7 access for doing their business.

same mine are only crated when we go camping they even think it is something special for them they even have their own bit of tent the "husky loft" LOL

otherwise at home they sleep anywhere, their own bed, the sofa the floor it does not matter to us or them..the only place they do not sleep is in our bedrooms that is special...

Chula used to sleep in a crate. We actually had two crates at the time - one that was her bedtime crate in our bedroom, and one in the dining room that is her daytime crate. She knows the difference ("bedtime" vs "time for bed"). But I stopped crating her at night somewhere around a year and a half. Then she was required to sleep on her bed in my bedroom. I now allow her to sleep wherever she likes, though that has led to her claiming the sofa as hers, so that wasn't necessarily the best decision for her. 

I think that at three months, I would still work on crating him at night. As he gets into his teenage months, he will likely regress in some areas of training (may start having accidents or tearing things up while you're asleep, for instance) and that could get frustrating. You could try getting a separate crate for the bedroom if you are happier with him in there with you.

I started off by crating mine at night.  When I got Nikko, and he was the only puppy I kept him in the crate until he was about 4 months old, when I could trust him not to potty on the floor at night, and he did fine, mostly slept through the night.  When I got Yukon it was more difficult to crate him at night, since Nikko got to sleep on the bed, and Yukon did not want to sleep on the crate. I just let Yukon sleep on the bed too, after the first month, so he was about 3 months old.  I have the upstairs gated so that they can only be in the bedrooms but they will sleep on the bed or floor in my room.

Two of mine were already adults when we got them so didn't really have issues of toilet training, Snowy was 4 1/2 months old. None of my dogs are crate trained but we have a very large conservatory which is basically the dogs room.  In the summer the door to the house from the conservatory is left open so the dogs can roam where they like though they prefer to be indoors as its cooler.  Now that its winter we keep the door closed so they have to make a choice before we go to bed.  The two husky boys prefer the conservatory, unless my eldest son is home from uni then they want to sleep with him. My Malamute always sleeps with me, either on my bed or next to my bed on the floor.

My boy isn't crate trained, so he sleeps where-ever. During the day, his favourite spots during the day are usually in the front hall leaning against the stairs, on his mat in the family room, or at the top of the stairs with his front paws hanging off the edge. 

During the night, he either sleeps in my room or my Mom's room, depending if I'm home or not. 

All crate-trained but crate door permanently open - they all have beds in the dining room but often one or two will sleep in the crate. Bedroom's only for a foster in season. Sleeping with whoever in the living room reserved for post-op ;)

• 3 weeks later...

We rescued Ana when she was 18 weeks old...we were her fourth home  :angry: 

We used to leave her downstairs and she used to sleep with the rescued Pugs, however, we would get up to a mess every single morning..... So we took her bed and her upstairs with us and she is absolutely wonderful every night, all night (the only time she is REALLY well behaved) 

Rio lays with us in the front room but as soon as he is tied he will put himself to bed. His bed is in the utility room and he is not a morning dog either, when we come down in the morning he looks at us as if to say is it that time already, I think he loves his bed to much

• 2 weeks later...

In her crate found beside the bed.

I brought her home for the first time when she was already a year old. I shut the crate door for the first few months. After a time I started leaving the door to her crate open at night. Eventually I all together removed the door. She sleeps soundlessly throughout the night and doesn't leave her bed until after I wake and dress- it's the established routine.

• 2 years later...

Interesting comparing what I put last time, 2015, to now. Just had the German recuperating post-op in the living room but now all 7 are back in the dining room - foster-boy, Hunter, (who's 1 year old...... today!) has the re-erected crate (it's been down for 2 years) as he's prone to chew things. Not had an in-season female for a couple of years, so bedroom is dog-free and peaceful ;)

We were very strict with Maya’s crate training and she now sleeps good as gold in our room with us, she loves her crate too as goes in and out as she pleases we don’t need to close it anymore when we go out but if it’s bed time and she knows we’re upstairs it’s a different matter I think it’s the “pack” thing she is good and happy sleeping with us we still have the crate when needed 😊

Keta was crate trained when we got her and we have kept to it she sleeps with the door locked and when we come down in the morning she looks like took early and stays there until she is ready.  She also puts her self to bed when tried too although she does sleep on the sofa next to me in the evenings. 

When we are down caravan she is crated and sleeps in the awning with door closed .

Harlow gets shut in the hall which leads to the living room and dog door outside. She'll normally sleep outside our bed room or on the couch. As a puppy she'd break into the caged off couch area and sleep on there each night before jumping off so we'd not know she was on there lol. We've since covered the couches in sheets

Sent from my SM-G900I using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived