She Slept Outside Her Crate!

Chula

We have been toying with the idea of letting Chula sleep outside her crate for about a month. We bought her a bed on Sunday, which she promptly tried to eat. That will go back to the store. So last night I folded up some blankets and set them next to her crate. She curled right up on them and slept for 8 hours, even stayed put when I got up to pee in the middle of the night.

Of course she flew onto the bed to greet me after OH left at 6 am..not sure how to put the kibosh on that...

Good girl! I started letting Nikko sleep outside his crate when he was about 4-5 months old, and Yukon was earlier, about 3-4 months old, or as soon as they were potty trained. They all sleep in bed with me, except for Nikko; he will switch spots throughout the night. Although when it's time to eat it is not a welcome wake up alarm to have a 60lb husky walking all over you!

She won't be allowed to sleep on the bed cause OH is allergic to her if she's too close to him for too long.

I feel happy that she gets to be free from the crate at night. But it's hard to let go of micromanaging her. I know she's growing up but I still worry she's going to eat something..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

AW, not mad, just overly cautious. She has a history of eating things that send her to the hospital so it has been really hard to trust her. I'm not worried about my stuff, I'm worried about her internal "stuff"! 

Am sorry I think thats why your mad I fail to understand why after training a dog to use a crate anyone would then want to put their dog at risk of hurting themselves by leaving them out  :wacko:

Oh! I get it. Well for me, it's because she's also crated during the day, and I just felt it was too much crating. The bedroom door is closed, so there's not really much she could do unless she ripped the curtains down and ate them. I hate sleeping with the bedroom door closed, but she seemed happier and more comfortable not being in her crate so I'm okay with it. She still is crated during the day, that won't change.

post-9250-0-89831400-1384271739_thumb.jp

Am sorry I think thats why your mad I fail to understand why after training a dog to use a crate anyone would then want to put their dog at risk of hurting themselves by leaving them out :wacko:

im with dunc on this one.

(for once lol)

Ive invested a lot of time and effort into crate training mine.

Storm and angel are allowed to sleep in the caravan bedroom with us on holiday. Thats their holiday treat.

But at home its crates every night and when i go out. A simple, bed and theyre gone and laid down :)

Well, this wasn't really intended to be an argument. I'm okay with allowing her to sleep in the bedroom outside of her crate. She still went happily into her daytime crate this morning. I appreciate that others think differently, but I still feel happy about our choice, and we plan to stick with it. It's the right choice for us right now.

Well, this wasn't really intended to be an argument. I'm okay with allowing her to sleep in the bedroom outside of her crate. She still went happily into her daytime crate this morning. I appreciate that others think differently, but I still feel happy about our choice, and we plan to stick with it. It's the right choice for us right now.

No-one is arguing with anyone everyone does as they please with their own dogs its just a difference of opinion :) 

I agree everyone has their own ways...I felt the same way Emily, I was crating mine all day and felt bad for crating them at night too. I waited until they were potty trained, and I have a 4 foot baby gate at the top of the stairs, so they only have access to the bedroom. The other bedroom and bathroom is closed off. At night they do fine, I don't think Kodiak and Yukon even move! Especially now that Yukon has epilepsy I would not want him alone if he has a seizure. At least if he is sleeping next to me it will wake me up. As for regular crate training, they have their routines and they know the difference between "time for crate" and "time for bed".

YAY! That should be awesome! I wish I could do that, but the doggie daycare close by opens at 8:30, and I leave for work at 7:30-7:45. Why they open so late I will never know. There are 2 other daycares in the area that open up at 6 and 6:30, but both are about 30 minutes away. I so want to open up my own daycare here!

Oh I hope someday she can have free reign at night. One time we forgot to lock her crate door at night and found her sleeping on the couch in the morning. It was nice not to hear her banging on the crate every time she turned around! If she has free reign it would definitely force me to keep the house cleaner. She has discovered that she can get her face into the sink and lick the dirty dishes clean...

This is great :up: mine have gone through the progression of sleeping in crates to having beds in our room (door closed) to now fred reign at night. I must add I think we all sleep more comfortably now. We do still crate them when not at home. :D

Eskie has a crate and refuses to sleep with the door shut. He screams, howls and makes noises that i didn't even think possible. We were at our wits end. Oh decided to just leave the door open one night, told him to go bed which he did and we never heard a peep out of him all night. He has the run of all downstairs and we are so lucky that he does not destroy anything.

Chula was fine in her crate, never made noise except in the morning when she wanted to be awake - it was more a mental thing for me wanting her to be more comfortable. I like her being in the bedroom though. I fully admit that if OH would allow it, I'd let her sleep with me. 

our situation is a little different. my wife works days and i work nights. while the crate at night was never a problem. tryin to leave them in a crate for most of the day became a problem real quick. aint no person sleeping with a crying and howling husky. now nook sleeps beside my side of bed and lola sleeps besides the wifes side at night. during the day when im asleep they kinda just roam the house and look out the front window

sent thru smoke signals directly out the top of my teepee!!!