Am I Wrong?

Keeonah

Over the last week or so I have had a sudden influx of phone calls asking if my pups are still for sale. We only have the one that we are prepared to let go now and that is Sapphire. The caller will ask me about the dog and ask all the normal questions and then say things like do I need to bring a lead with me or I'll bring the money with me. They seem to be quite taken aback when I say that they can come and look but I'm not just going to let the dog go. I like to know where my dogs are going and to what sort of environment they are going into before I sell them. This is a lot of the reason why I have ended up with 3 pups still here. To be fair Eclipse was bought and then returned to us under the terms of the contract. She is now very weary when we take her in the car on her own and has not gained the same weight as the other 2. It is for reasons like this that I like to check on the buyer as much as they should check on me as the breeder. Am I wrong? Am I being too harsh? What are your thoughts and what would you do if they were your dogs?

Gary.

I think you're perfectly fine. I've heard all too many horror stories about when people re-home and then they find their pup on craigslist for twice the price and such. If it were me I'd be trying to ward off buyers as much as possible unless I thought they were suited :)

Nope, you're doing the right thing - that's what a responsible breeder SHOULD do! I've turned more than one person down over the years, although I was generally able to make them see that this wasn't the right breed for them, rather than have to flat out tell them  I wouldn't sell them a puppy... They're your babies, and your responsibility, so take the best care of them you can!  :) 

I think you're doing the perfect thing, it is important to make sure they go to the right people, and the people having the pups should understand that! When I rehomed Mishka, I had a two weeks trial which turned into 4 weeks, because both I and the old owner wanted to make sure everything was completely fine, she was settled in well, we were forming a bond, I could handle her and her needs etc...
Having a new dog, especially a husky, is a big thing and you have to make sure both parties are ok with it, so if they can't handle the fact you care about the well being of your dogs then all I can say if stuff them...

If they can't deal with it then that's their loss. Some people will go as far as ringing their local vet to ensure the potential owner is telling the truth.

They won't get a dog off anyone else whose reputable with their attitude so I think you should just let them go, I'm sure if they want a dog badly enough they wont care if they go to a BYB or pet shop and let your pup be the one that gets a good home.  :)

It's my understanding that a breeder has a lifelong responsibility to the pups they breed. Therefore vetting potential buyers thoroughly is essential or the pups run the risk of ending up yo yo-ing from one house to the next as the owners were unsuitable.

Gary I bought Lunar from a champion husky breeder, her mother won Crufts 2012 best of breed, I was prepared for the interview of my life and a full inspection and I received one, does not matter how many awards your dog have, for you they are the most precious things, do not let them go cheaply, this is the best you can do for them and for their future lives. This is not an ordinary breed!

Hi, new to this forum and the whole Husky lark (we got Solo 8 weeks ago) We got him from dogs trust so had to be checked, home inspected, son and cats had too meet him as well as Charlie (our other dog) before they would let us have him, so yes you are right to do the same and more, dogs are hard work and people need to know that. I would much rather buy from someone who cares about the welfare of their animals (the grilling we had years ago from a lady we were adopting two cats from was for an hour before we met the cats but she needed to be sure says it all). Keep up the good work. 

Thanks for all your kind replies. I was beginning to wonder, as I've had so many people that want to buy but as soon as I tell them that they can come and look but they can't take one home with them they don't turn up. Most at least have the courtesy to send me a text saying that they've changed their mind for one reason or another. Most of it's bulls***t.

Gary.

I dont think it is possible to be too harsh... if you're not 100% comfortable with letting someone leave with your pup, then don't let them leave with him/her, simples :) Imagine if you only had one pup to rehome, how picky would you be?? That shouldn't change just because you have several pups that need homes :)

One of the best things you can do when trying to rehome a pup is use a vet reference. If the family you want to rehome your pup to has other pets, ask them if they have a regular vet. Call that vet and ask the vet if that family is a good pet owner i.e. : are they regular on shots with their pups; are their pets overweight; etc...I've had to rehome a stray I found at a park once. This is exactly what I did. I took my time; and I still keep in touch with my rehome's family...best feeling ever c:

When we were looking into getting a 2nd pup....one of the questions that we were asked was for a Vet reference. I personally called my Vet the next day and let her know we were looking to adopt another husky!  

My thought..Your Huskies your rules! :D 

When I adopted Suka, I got some health records that showed the last owner's name, phone number, and address. I think they were supposed to white it out - oops!

I don't think vets can give information about somebody else - I think its against the patient-doctor confidentiality rule?

And I think you are totally in the right to screen people before they buy puppies from you.

When I adopted Suka, I got some health records that showed the last owner's name, phone number, and address. I think they were supposed to white it out - oops!

I don't think vets can give information about somebody else - I think its against the patient-doctor confidentiality rule?

And I think you are totally in the right to screen people before they buy puppies from you.

It was actually stated on a breeders website/application that they would contact their vet, though the person would know beforehand of course and had to give their consent.

If they couldn't verify the information they gave then they would be denied.

When we acquired Zoya, her breeder required a letter of confidence from our vet. No letter, no Zoya.

Can vets actually give that information to a stranger? Seems weird that anyone could call up and get information like that. Unless the person informed their vet that they could share.

My belief is that you have to give your consent to the vet before they are allowed to release any information. When S.H.A.R.E were looking into a potential rehome for Skye I had to call the vet and give them permission for them to release information about her. It is certainly a good idea though and there is no reason why the potential buyer should refuse. Unless they have something to hide.

Gary.