Letting your Husky sleep with you

Candie

So how many of you let your husky and other dogs sleep with you? I have read that it is a very bad idea to let you husky sleep in the bed with you, something about alpha status. We have had Aurora for about 2 months and all but about 2 weeks of that she has slept with us. She is completely house trained but every now and then she will still need to go out at night. She will nudge either my husband or I to take her out then she will come right in a lay back down and go right to sleep. We also let our 2 schnauzers sleep with us. Will there really be a dominance problem later on by letting her sleep with us. We do not allow any of our animals on the furniture unless we invite them. Not sure if that will make a difference. Aurora is already so stubborn and I don't want to make it harder than training her has to be. lol

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nanook slept with us every night till we got Indy, we then decided that 2 dogs in our bed just wouldn't be comfy for us and that's when she went to spending night times in her bed and Indy had his bed (crates) as far I can tell its made no difference but then as we did it from day 1 she didn't have the chance to be different because of it lol. Nanook is very stubborn but also very clever! She is a sneaky bugger and knows just how to look so she gets away with things - but these are general husky traits lol. Not sure this will be any help for you hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Fenrir sleeps with us in out bedroom on the floor, usually on the pile of clothes or dirty linen that is inevitably on the floor. Though he's not allowed on the bed itself. Fortunately he's still too small to jump onto the bed, but I'm sure that'll soon change and we'll have a challenge on our hands.

my 3 dont as hubby has asthma

My hubby has allergies. The Schnauzers are hypoallergenic so they don't bother him and as long as I keep Aurora brushed and she doesn't sleep near his head he is ok. I do have to keep our sheets/blankets washed OFTEN but it is worth it to get to snuggle with my babies.

Fenrir sleeps with us in out bedroom on the floor, usually on the pile of clothes or dirty linen that is inevitably on the floor. Though he's not allowed on the bed itself. Fortunately he's still too small to jump onto the bed, but I'm sure that'll soon change and we'll have a challenge on our hands.

Aurora can't get on our bed either. When she wants up she will sit politely next to our bed and if after a while we don't acknowledge her she will bark once or twice to get our attention. ( She learned this for my female Schnauzer).

So from the post so far it doesn't seem like I am making a mistake for letting her sleep with us. :)

Both our dogs sleep in the bedroom, with their own beds beside ours. Storm will come on the bed, but soon gets too warm and retreats to his own. He will often jump onto the bed in the morning once we're awake, but will always get off when told.

We needed to get a new bed as the one we had was 20+ years old and we were so achy in the morning...and of course, after Jessy got here, it got awfully crowded...so, we just got a bigger bed so they could all fit. Now the problem is that they spread out more and go sideways....good thing we have more room. Andy MUST be in the middle by the pillows, and if Jack gets there first he pushes his way in and Jack has to move. Jessy takes whatever room is left and is usually the only one left in the morning, flat on her back, spread eagle! If we don't want them in, we just start kicking our feet and they leave. If they grumble at us, they must leave. No grumbling allowed. Jack prefers the couch downstairs as it's cooler, and Andy doesn't stay too long cause he gets hot, except for on rare occasions, and he sleeps under the window by the sofa with Jack. post-2509-13586086451141_thumb.jpg I came up to bed one night before the bigger bed and before Jessy and ended up on the sofa cause I couldn't get anyone to move...

post-2509-1358608645191_thumb.jpgThis was shortly after we got the new bigger bed and they were "feeling" their way around it one morning, obviously after the bed was made. Don't even bother with a nice comforter since it's always covered up with something for the dog hair and other doggy dirties!

I currently have bings curled up next to me sleeping lol, skyla usually sleeps on the end ov my bed or on my floor blaze also used to sleep on my bed but now sleeps on my mums bed instead, they know I'm in charge if I tell them to get down they do , I don't believe in the whole alpha thing I just need to be their leader I don't make them do anything they do it when I ask because they respect me

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

I currently have bings curled up next to me sleeping lol, skyla usually sleeps on the end ov my bed or on my floor blaze also used to sleep on my bed but now sleeps on my mums bed instead, they know I'm in charge if I tell them to get down they do , I don't believe in the whole alpha thing I just need to be their leader I don't make them do anything they do it when I ask because they respect me

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

I've never bought into the alpha dog idea. I can't be the alpha dog, bc my dogs are probably smart enough to realize I'm not a dog.

if my dogs jump on the bed, and I tell them to get down, they almost always will. Sometimes Troy will take his time, probably hoping I will forget. Lol.

Brooke the youngest has slept on the bed since she was a pup and she's now 18 mths :) she waits beside the bed for my OH to get in them jumps in and lays right alongside him :) sometimes through the night she will be along the bottom it just depends. Indi and Freya sleep on the bed until you put the light out and then they jump down and sleep in their beds :) doesn't seem to make any difference to the alpha status and its nice to have them close at night :)

[ATTACH]66868[/ATTACH]

post-5129-13586086460006_thumb.jpg

Maya sleeps on my bed with me until i move or try and snuggle with her then she moves to her spot under the bed. Sophie and Kay don't sleep in the bed because they're not quite potty trained. Maya freaks me out sometimes because she likes to growl and make noise in her sleep. It's a little scary when you hear a growl coming from under your bed.:eek: