Family mourns loss of Siberian husky after it's killed by police following it getting into a chicken

HuskyCouture

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guns are illegal in the UK as that thread mentions.That farmer in that thread and any person who has a gun here will get arrested and get a prison sentence. That was a one off. In the US it happens all the time. That is my issue. Guns should not be in the hands of normal people who are notServing law enforcement or military. There is no need to have them. That is my problem here :P

While I totally support your anti gun feeling and feel exactly the same myself... I just wanted to correct one minor thing... Farmers in this country can legally own a shotgun and are very well within their rights to shoot a dog they find on their property attacking their livestock and very often do... sadly this was not a one off it happens all too regularly and the owner of the dog has little to no comeback whatsoever as their dog is considered to be out of control in a public place and worrying livestock both of which are illegal and carry quite server consequenses for the dog and its owner. :(

I believe there is a big difference between, for example, choosing not to own a gun and my government telling me I CANNOT own a gun. Moving away from the gun topic, I have another perfect example which can demonstrate my position:I ride motorcycles. In my state here in the US, we do not have a helmet law. I think we can all agree that helmets are a fantastic invention, saving the life of the rider up to 90% of the time. (I'd site sources, but frankly I'm too lazy :P ) I ride with my $600 helmet on every single time I am on my bike. However, my state, unlike all the surrounding ones, does not mandate that motorcycle riders wear a helmet. Even though I choose to, I respect the right that the guy next to me doesn't want to wear one. And I don't believe the government should make that choice for him, either.

JayT's first sentence says it ALL. There is such a thing as TOO much goverment. Every state in the US has a militia...called the national guard(volunteer). I prefer my government not to be all up in my business. Just one of the many differences between you and I. But hey, we both LOVE huskies. ;) Now back to your regularly scheduled program.:)

I believe there is a big difference between, for example, choosing not to own a gun and my government telling me I CANNOT own a gun. Moving away from the gun topic, I have another perfect example which can demonstrate my position:I ride motorcycles. In my state here in the US, we do not have a helmet law. I think we can all agree that helmets are a fantastic invention, saving the life of the rider up to 90% of the time. (I'd site sources, but frankly I'm too lazy :P ) I ride with my $600 helmet on every single time I am on my bike. However, my state, unlike all the surrounding ones, does not mandate that motorcycle riders wear a helmet. Even though I choose to, I respect the right that the guy next to me doesn't want to wear one. And I don't believe the government should make that choice for him, either.

No kidding. The numbnuts next to you should have enough common sense to wear a helmet, unfortunately they don't. You would think they would be smarter than that. I can see a teenager/younger person do it due to lack of experience and trying to be cool ( not that it would make it right, just saying I could understand that)...But Nooooo I see too many grown biker dudes ride around with no helmet on. :blink: :blink: But on the other hand....just to get even further off topic :P there is a law for no cell while driving...no calling (except with an earpiece) and no texting, yet every time I am out someone is swerving in front of me talking on the phone :blink:. I think the problem is that a lot of people think Rules/Law's are only suggestions and you are still allowed to do it unless you get caught. Here in TN they came out with the No Texting law and the cops have a team that will patrol in civilian cars and its $50 for texting while driving. I think that is a great idea. In Germany the cops park civilian cars on the side of the road with a camera in the back and if you speed by you get a self portrait. I think they should do that here. I am so glad they started putting cameras on large intersections. :)

The gun topic fliers with lines I do not agree with, but my personal view is that I own them for protection for my family. We all know how useful our huskies would be against an I trader in the home! Jon would probably try to maim the burglar with kisses.Typically my stance on government intervention is this: the law shouldn't interfere with things that affect me and only me. The helmet law: whether or not I wear a helmet makes no difference what so ever to the person I get into an accident with. How about drugs? The only drugs I use are alcohol and occasionally a cigar. I don't use any illegal substances. Yet, I think they should be legal. Who cares if I get high in the confines of my own home? Now, of course, driving while intoxicated does affect others, so the government should be stepping in there.Eh, just an opinion. If I have offended you, give your fur baby a tummy pat for me :)

The story is a bit contradicting.

"her Siberian husky Roxi had been shot after getting loose from her house on Jan. 5."

Then it goes to say:

"After the dog got off her lead at about 9:30 p.m. that evening her boyfriend, brother and sister-in-law searched for Roxi until 1 a.m. on Jan 6."

I also find it interesting that they refferred to her as being thin at "just" 50-60lbs. That's a range between 22kg-27kg. If it was a standard heighted husky that is not thin :\. Aleu weighs just 18kg and even the kennel clubs range for females weight is 16kg-22kg.

I think this dog was just shot for convenience. If Aleu got off lead, she wouldn't come up to me willingly because it's more fun to run away :\. Sounds to me more like a husky that had just got off lead and it's prey drive went a bit wild with excitement.

Stacey xxx

The story is a bit contradicting.

"her Siberian husky Roxi had been shot after getting loose from her house on Jan. 5."

Then it goes to say:

"After the dog got off her lead at about 9:30 p.m. that evening her boyfriend, brother and sister-in-law searched for Roxi until 1 a.m. on Jan 6."

I also find it interesting that they refferred to her as being thin at "just" 50-60lbs. That's a range between 22kg-27kg. If it was a standard heighted husky that is not thin :\. Aleu weighs just 18kg and even the kennel clubs range for females weight is 16kg-22kg.

I think this dog was just shot for convenience. If Aleu got off lead, she wouldn't come up to me willingly because it's more fun to run away :\. Sounds to me more like a husky that had just got off lead and it's prey drive went a bit wild with excitement.

Stacey xxx

I agree. The off lead thing had me confused at first too. But when I read all the comments to the article on the website they say that she was tied out on a retractable leash and was able to slip her collar and get loose. ;)

Also with the weight...if she was between 50-60lbs she was pretty healthy. :blink:

I noticed the size as well Stacey and agree it didn't seem to be that thin.

As far as the discrepancies in the story, it's easy to make those types of errors if you don't read your articles before you put them in the system to be published. And there's no excuse for that.

In the end, all I have to say is Run free, Roxy girl. (And may your owner find peace.)

:lol: That was funny I needed that this morning!!!

Thanks, nothing like helping people relax.:)

JayT, hopefully nobody got offended by anything that was said or should I say typed here. I know I have not been offended. Interesting debate and interesting to learn how others feel about certain subjects. You and I could debate a few topics as I have a feeling you may lean more liberal(Just a guess?) on subjects, whereas I am conservative.

As for the weight of the husky in the article, I would say that's healthy(without seeing her). My boy weighs 56lbs and there's nothing unhealthy about him. Just try taking him for a run!:lol:

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. However, I would argue that those who want guns illegally will always find a way to get them, and I for one, would rather have the right to have one, legally. Very few people who have guns legally here in the US kill or otherwise harm anyone with those guns. You hear about the relatively few and very shocking cases where that does happen, because they are so shocking. Millions of Americans do own guns, don't harm anyone, and you don't hear about them.

Additionally, if there is a skunk or raccoon wandering around with rabies, I want to have the right to eliminate the threat to my pets - and to my family. You don't have the threat of rabies there, but I assure you, it's quite common in the wildlife here! You come from a very different culture and reality than those of us who live in the US do, so judge carefully, please!

Finally, I want government to be smaller, not larger. I don't want to live in a country where government is in charge of my every want, need and desire, in exchange for a large percentage of what I earn, or I wouldn't live where I do. Guns are a tool, and any tool can be misused and abused, but they also can be very useful and beneficial - it's about the people who use the tool!

Very good argument. I agree with you 100%.

The whole "the bad guys have guns and we don't" argument is a vicious circle. I do not accept that as a valid reason to have them. That is what law enforcement is for. They go get the guns. I believe you even have a

federal agency called the ATF which has firearms in their name :P If guns are banned then they have to be cracked down on everywhere... banning guns might even give the government opportunities to arrest and detain criminals

that they previously lacked any evidence to arrest for other charges - so it could actually be helpful!

I also tend to think that here in the UK if you live in a rural area that you would probably know your farmer neighbors and they wouldn't shoot a pet dog clearly. I would also assume that you would have the common sense to

make sure that if you did live in a rural area you let those in the area know you had a dog that liked to try and escape and that if it did escape that they should let you know!

I really see guns as not needed. You have pests then call animal control or the police. Or set traps for those animals.No need to go shooting at them - you won't get rabies if you stay away from them!

I also tend to think that here in the UK if you live in a rural area that you would probably know your farmer neighbors and they wouldn't shoot a pet dog clearly. I would also assume that you would have the common sense to

make sure that if you did live in a rural area you let those in the area know you had a dog that liked to try and escape and that if it did escape that they should let you know!

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you here. My boyfriend's uncle had a husky who escaped their house (he ran out the door, knocking his owner over in the process) and joined a pack of wild dogs/wolves that were stalking livestock on the farms surrounding them (they live in a norther rural area) and the farmer discovered them inside his chicken coop, killing his chickens. How is a farmer supposed to stop and assess if it is a pet or not if his livestock-his livelihood- are in danger? He shot a few of the wolves/wild dogs, and the husky was among those shot. He didn't realise until after that the husky had a collar and tags on, and was someone's pet. He had the courtesy to call the owners and explain what happened, but he was totally in the right.

Sorry, but I think that's really unfair. You have NO idea what it's like here. I live in a nice neighborhood in a very friendly community. We are not "in the ghetto" at all. Within the past year we've had I don't even know how many armed robberies of neighboring homes. One of which the family was murdered. In our own neighborhood. That's scary. And it's just getting worse. Unemployment rates are high and people are doing whatever they can to get money, regardless of consequences.

I'd rather have a gun to be able to defend myself, my family, and my home rather than wait for the police to decide to come check it out. There is nothing wrong with responsible gun use/ownership.

It's the people who shouldn't even be allowed to procreate are the ones causing all the fuss and shooting up people, not the law abiding normal citizens.

Sorry, but I think that's really unfair. You have NO idea what it's like here. I live in a nice neighborhood in a very friendly community. We are not "in the ghetto" at all. Within the past year we've had I don't even know how many armed robberies of neighboring homes. One of which the family was murdered. In our own neighborhood. That's scary. And it's just getting worse. Unemployment rates are high and people are doing whatever they can to get money, regardless of consequences.

I'd rather have a gun to be able to defend myself, my family, and my home rather than wait for the police to decide to come check it out. There is nothing wrong with responsible gun use/ownership.

It's the people who shouldn't even be allowed to procreate are the ones causing all the fuss and shooting up people, not the law abiding normal citizens.

I agree. I also live in a good neighborhood and there are no break ins here as far as I know, but I do know of friends that have been robbed or their neighbors. It is very hard for someone that does not live here to understand what it is like and its easy to say to just ban guns all together. Like I said earlier I grew up in Germany which is quite similar as far as crime rate to the UK and I used to think the same thing until I moved here. I still roll my eyes when my husband says he does not want me to walk the dogs after dark by myself, simply because in Germany it is not a big deal cause crime is not as bad except maybe in big cities like Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt, etc. Before we moved here we lived near Louisville KY and I stopped watching the news cause every night it was the same thing: Two shot in Louisville, Family shot in Louisville, Gas station robbed in Louisville, Store owner shot and robbed in Louisville. I mean every day people got shot. But like you said its hard to understand if you don't live here and see it with your own eyes! And those guns used in those crimes are not the legally registered guns!!

The whole "the bad guys have guns and we don't" argument is a vicious circle. I do not accept that as a valid reason to have them. That is what law enforcement is for. They go get the guns. I believe you even have a

federal agency called the ATF which has firearms in their name :P If guns are banned then they have to be cracked down on everywhere... banning guns might even give the government opportunities to arrest and detain criminals

that they previously lacked any evidence to arrest for other charges - so it could actually be helpful!

I really see guns as not needed. You have pests then call animal control or the police. Or set traps for those animals.No need to go shooting at them - you won't get rabies if you stay away from them!

If we lived in Utopia I would be inclined to agree with you - it is a vicious circle, BUT we have to be realistic.

In SA, crime is out of control, not burglaries for the sake of stealing a few items, we can live with that, but burglaries that turn to violence if someone is unfortunate enough to wake up during the night and discover criminals in the house - they kill whoever stands in their way with no hesitation - that is the issue here.

Everyday we hear of violent home invasions. Even 80 year old women aren't safe from being raped, or being beaten or shot. I hate guns, and don't personally have one in the house, and would love to see them off the streets, but it is not going to happen during my lifetime, and that is a fact.

Walk a mile in our shoes and then tell us guns should be banned. No man in this country will willingly hand his legal weapon over and leave his family undefended, and at the mercy of criminals / killers / rapists who have an easy and unlimited access to illegal weapons - that is a fact of 'life' here.

I love this board! So many people from so many different countries. Makes for some good conversation.:) We do have the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms...part of what they do is keep ILLEGAL firearms off the street, not legal firearms. I have A LOT of thoughts but being at work makes it hard to do!

Respectfully - to do as you have suggested, the government would have to be expanded to an extent it could not sustain itself, and the American public would never allow, even for promised safety. You'd need one force to go after all of the illegal guns - across a large portion of a continent - a huge expanse of land. You'd also need to expand State and local police forces to protect people from people and from wild animals - it wouldn't be possible! The "block" I live on is approximately 2.5 miles long by about 1.5 miles wide - there are a total of 5 homes included in that area (not sure if anyone lives in the 5th, or if it's just livestock). The next "block" north is slightly larger, but has a similar number of houses. All houses are on the perimeters, with the areas in between as farm fields - good habitat for all sorts of wildlife. If i trap an animal that I suspect has rabies, and all my neighbors do the same, it takes a lot of time, energy, and fuel for animal control to come around and dispose of them - not cost effective for them or taxpayers, and not very "green".

My neighbors all know me, and know that I try really hard to keep my dogs confined to my property, and I believe that they would call me to come get my dog if one escaped, so long as it wasn't actively attacking their animals at the moment - they can't afford to call for me or a police force to come and take care of an attacking dog, while it's attacking their stock. A dog in that mode is not likely to kill one animal and stop to eat - it's killing for excitement, not hunger.

Europe is so different from the US, you really need to visit to see how different it is. The solutions that work in the UK, won't, necessarily, here. It's more efficient - cost and time - for people in the US to have guns. One of my strongest reservations about a larger police force is that it seems like when you get to a larger city (take a look at Chicago or New York) with a huge police force, the amount of corruption is incredible. I'd hate to have that situation come to my little town, my county, my state (all of which share responsibility for policing my area). My area is relatively safe, however there are occasional idiots who do use illegal drugs and have caused problems - a friend was raped by someone who was a habitual Meth user (one reason I don't agree with legalizing drugs, JayT!). If someone on drugs comes to rob me at night to feed his or her habit, there's no time to get a police officer out to help me - the nearest town with police is 5 miles or more away! Out in the western US, that distance might well be over 100 miles away! I'm a single woman, and I don't have the physical strength to contend with a male intruder. I don't currently have a gun, but if I did, it would even the odds considerably - I want that option!

I would like to imagine we don't need guns to protect ourselves, but that would be unrealistic.

I dont agree with killing people or shooting them, but to some degree I can see why you would want a gun for family protection if you were in an area with high gun crime.

If they changed the law to banning guns, the majority would still handle them anyway.

Stacey xxx

sutsibe +1 I would give you more if I could.

I live in Maine, USA. I live in a trailer park in a quiet part of town.

Many Mainers live in rural areas where there are no police stations,

and where it would take a lot more time for a police officer to make

it to their home. I am a very small woman. I would not be able to

compete with an adult male intruder in any way. We have guns in our

home. I have always had guns in my home. My father taught me how

to use his guns when I was a child, as we lived so far away from the

police. My boyfriend and our room mate are applying for their

Concealed Weapons Permits after they have completed their gun

handling class, which goes over the laws of carrying a gun and their

laws as a person permitted to carry a concealed fire arm.

Here in Maine, there is less crime because people have guns. There

is less random crime because the invaders don't know whether or

not they are invading the home of a gun owner. I feel like that sense

of "not-knowing" stops a lot of people from breaking into homes that

they don't know.

In Maine, there are a lot of hunters, and hunting is a necessary part

of our culture. I don't believe that this state could, or would, ever take

the right to carry away from its people.

http://alampi.xanga.com/726290807/motivational-posters-of-gun-control/ <--- external link to some

motivational posters about gun control.