Family mourns loss of Siberian husky after it's killed by police following it getting into a chicken

HuskyCouture

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunate, but always a risk when they get loose! Many of my neighbors have livestock, and would be within their rights to shoot my dogs (heaven forbid!) if they were to get loose and kill or maim their animals, which are their livelihood. Knowing this, I'm as absolutely careful about them getting out loose as I can be!

WOW some of the comments under that are TOTALLY ignorant..

"after getting loose from her house on Jan. 5."....Must have been a very intelligent dog to be able to escape from a closed residence. Maybe it opened a window and crawled out.

I have had a dog most of my life. Have never had one "get loose" from the house."

CLEARLY never owned a husky have they!! :angry: Dont judge what you dont know asshat!!!

Poor bloody dog... if they were worried about how skinny it was surely that would be LESS of reason to shoot him?? Shooting a poor starving animal??? Heartless D!ickwads! :angry:

I don't intend to insult any US husky owners but no one should be shooting anyone with the exception of the police and even then they shoot too many people. Maybe it's just my UK society cultural acceptability but you shouldn't even shoot a bugalar. Let alone a dog. You call the Police. Poor dog. That would NEVER have happened in England..

I don't intend to insult any US husky owners but no one should be shooting anyone with the exception of the police and even then they shoot too many people. Maybe it's just my UK society cultural acceptability but you shouldn't even shoot a bugalar. Let alone a dog. You call the Police. Poor dog. That would NEVER have happened in England..

it does happen in England sorry to say.

http://www.husky-own...__1#entry219775

Guns are illegal in the UK as that thread mentions.That farmer in that thread and any person who has a gun here will get arrested and get a prison sentence. That was a one off. In the US it happens all the time. That is my issue. Guns should not be in the hands of normal people who are notServing law enforcement or military. There is no need to have them. That is my problem here :P

“Rather then worrying about the dog doing more damage it was dispatched.â€Â

Ya know what's worse than one lazy person? Two lazy people....together. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they spent exactly 2 minutes trying to actually solve the problem. Then he just shot the dog. Very sad that it came to that.

“If the dog would’ve been taken care of properly, it wouldn't taken off in the first place.â€Â

It's good that he just lumps all stray dogs in the same category of abused and abandoned. I'm sure being as lazy and incompetent as he is, it made(makes) his job easier.:angry: :cussing: :thumbsdown:

I don't intend to insult any US husky owners but no one should be shooting anyone with the exception of the police  and even then they shoot too many people. Maybe it's just my UK society cultural acceptability but you shouldn't even shoot a bugalar. Let alone a dog. You call the Police. Poor dog. That would NEVER have happened in England..

I guess we differ in how we are raised. I own a rifle and a shotgun. I very, severely, hope I will never have to use them, but if someone comes into my house to harm my family, all bets are off.

Guns are illegal in the UK as that thread mentions.That farmer in that thread and any person who has a gun here will get arrested and get a prison sentence. That was a one off. In the US it happens all the time. That is my issue. Guns should not be in the hands of normal people who are notServing law enforcement or military. There is no need to have them. That is my problem here a>

You of course are entitled to your opinion. Here, we have the right to bear arms, and that is the stance I believe in.

You guys also co,e from the place where the government tried to ban the 9% brew dog Tokyo. Even brew dog knew to call it a nanny state ;)

The Police are the ones who shot the dog, not the chicken coop owner.

On another note, I 100% support Right to Bear Arms.

Guns are illegal in the UK as that thread mentions.That farmer in that thread and any person who has a gun here will get arrested and get a prison sentence. That was a one off. In the US it happens all the time. That is my issue. Guns should not be in the hands of normal people who are notServing law enforcement or military. There is no need to have them. That is my problem here :P

Ah, but guns aren't illegal here in the US, and aren't likely to become so any time soon. Many people hunt to help put food on the table, and yes to thin the herds of deer in areas where there are no predators large enough to keep them to a small enough number for the land to support. It's a much larger country, and in many rural areas, especially, there aren't very many police to cover a relatively large area. Most of the time, there's no need, but when there is, many want to be able to defend their home, property and most importantly, their family.

Factor in that in rural areas there are a number of predators that can harm livestock, which is a farmer's means of making a living, not to mention the commonness of rabies in a number of wild animals around rural areas, and - any animal harassing livestock is likely to be shot.

I am aware guns are not illegal in the US... and frankly that is insane. The number of people killed by guns is inexcusable and not in any way unavoidable.

You make guns illegal and then the police and federal agencies make sure they aren't on the street. Of course such operation would be unimaginably large but unbelievably worth it.

Of course people quote your constitution and the right to bare arms - but I seriously doubt if the founding fathers of the United States were around now they would have made such an

amendment.

It is part of you culture but it doesn't change the fact guns are dangerous. If you need more Police then let the government sort that out.

Guns were NOT illegal in the UK until a shooting at a school and then the government made them illegal. Fast action by the British government and reasonable.

Logistical farming problems does not mean guns should be used. I am not here to provide solutions. I am merely pointing out that NO one should have guns in my opinion.

And that any modern society that allows them is deeply seriously misguided. Those are my beliefs. They are based purely on logic. I do not make any attempt to convince

those of you in America I am right and you are wrong as I can't win an argument like that on any forum and indeed in real life. If you have your convictions you won't change

your mind and that is the way it is.

Frankly I think guns are disgusting. And as someone who has handled plenty of guns in their time through military reserve duties (though never outside the UK) my opinion

is not based on having never handled a gun.

I simply think its inexcusable to have them. Furthermore I believe that guns are a more dangerous and realistic threat than any terrorist attack. I am sure more people die from gun shooting than

from terrorist attacks and therefore I would be more worried about that walking around any US city than flying on a safe airplane!

This can turn into a debate on so many levels so I won't say anything else about this.

My closing thoughts are that none of those deaths of people or animals in necessary. It is pointless loss of life because of a fear to change the law in a country that prides itself

on leading the world in every way possible. What a joke!!!!

The only problems with banning guns is that people who use them for harm can still get one just as easy. Think of it like drugs - they're illegal but people still do them/sell them etc and so easily too. How I wish the world was kind enough that we wouldn't have to worry about self defense and safety.

And I think it's safe to say after seeing many stories like this, most of the world has simply devalued life in general.. no one appreciates it or cares anymore, be it an animal or person :( Very sad state this place is in. And wouldn't you think animal control would try everything possible before reaching the decision to kill the poor thing.. so sad :\

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. However, I would argue that those who want guns illegally will always find a way to get them, and I for one, would rather have the right to have one, legally. Very few people who have guns legally here in the US kill or otherwise harm anyone with those guns. You hear about the relatively few and very shocking cases where that does happen, because they are so shocking. Millions of Americans do own guns, don't harm anyone, and you don't hear about them.

Additionally, if there is a skunk or raccoon wandering around with rabies, I want to have the right to eliminate the threat to my pets - and to my family. You don't have the threat of rabies there, but I assure you, it's quite common in the wildlife here! You come from a very different culture and reality than those of us who live in the US do, so judge carefully, please!

Finally, I want government to be smaller, not larger. I don't want to live in a country where government is in charge of my every want, need and desire, in exchange for a large percentage of what I earn, or I wouldn't live where I do. Guns are a tool, and any tool can be misused and abused, but they also can be very useful and beneficial - it's about the people who use the tool!

Look, it would be way to easy to get into a heated debate about whether firearms should be owned by people. Fortunately the founding fathers of my nation new that sometimes governments overstep their bounds and have the "possibility" to become oppresive.

Declaration of Independence of the United States of America

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security."

Amendment II to the Consutitution of the United States of America

"A well regulated milita, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to KEEP and BEAR arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."

You see it as crazy, I see it as a right.

In South Africa life is cheap. Most criminals have guns and don't think twice about shooting someone for their cell phone or the change in their pockets. My daughter applied for a gun license, and it took three years of red tape and jumping through hoops for it to be approved. I hate guns and won't have one in my home, but can certainly understand when law abiding citizens feel the need to protect themselves and their families in their own homes. You need to understand how we live in South Africa, to understand the need for self protection.

Anyway, that's not the point. It was interesting reading the comments made by Joe public about the husky that was shot. Regardless of how she escaped, I feel very sorry for her and the family . RIP Roxi.

Real quick to the gun subject. I am European and I grew up in Europe. I hate guns too and I personally do not want one in my house. However, having lived in the USA since 2004 I can totally see why people would have guns in their homes. The crime rate here is much worse than it is in Germany. And true....if guns were illegal here it would only mean that the Good Guys wouldn't have guns and the Bad Guys would have guns. Which would make things even worse. But I do admit that it can be kind of hard to understand the situation if one has never lived here for a certain amount of time because things are just so much different here. I've lived in both worlds: Europe and USA and if I had never lived here I would not even believe half the stuff thats going on. ;)

To the dog. R.I.P. sweet Roxy. She did not have to die. They did not have to shoot her, but I do blame the owner just a tiny bit for not reporting her lost ASAP. When Zihna ran away, Animal Control and the Police were the first people I had called so they would know in case they saw her somewhere. If they had reported her lost maybe the police could have called the owner so they could have came out and tried to have her come to them, and if it had not been their dog then they could have went from there. Still don't think they should have shot her, they could have tried to set up a trap with some chicken meat in it and see if she would go in there. I just think there would have been more options and I think the authorities just didnt want to be bothered with "a loose dog". I could see if she had been charging at them that they would have shot her.......but not like that!

As far as the comments to the article on the site.....I almost created an account and educate a few people....:angry: Them ignorant people really pissed me off!!!