Family mourns loss of Siberian husky after it's killed by police following it getting into a chicken

HuskyCouture

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have family in Seattle. I know what the US is like and Canada as I also have family in Vancouver.

I know to do what I suggest would be all but impossible but just because something is difficult or impossible or will cost loads of money doesn't

mean you shouldn't make it happen if it is for the best. I am sure there is plenty of room in the US budget to allow for expansion if cuts are made

in other places - how about some of that top secret classified budget use get used to make the streets safer...

Guns are not a good thing. We can all agree on that.

People seem to use a lot of excuses to keep their guns, there is no proof having guns keeps the murder rate down, police in the US actually believe you are more likely to be killed if you have a gun than not having one.

It is very hard to kill a person and in that second you think about you are dead.

Guns are tools. People who abuse the tool are the evil. Money would not come from defense funds, it would come from education and social services, as well as funding for research into healthcare and public services (roads, buildings and public servants, such as police forces). I'm not at all sure I mind, as (call me suspicious or paranoid, if you will) I believe that there are rogue elements in the US and elsewhere that would like to transform my country in ways I would not care to see it.

Kayla Catherine, a well thought-out and worded argument. +1 to you.

In the end, whether we're talking about dogs getting out and doing damage, or guns, PEOPLE are the bottom line, and their actions are the major good or evil. The dog killing livestock in this case isn't at fault, and didn't deserve the death she got. I feel sorry for her owners, but can't help wondering how closely they were supervising her as she was tied out. In an area like Saginaw, I suspect that animal control is probably overloaded with stray and abandoned pets in shelters - once again, human fault! While I wish they would have taken the time to catch her, I can understand that they probably didn't want to take the time to catch her (likely hours), risking her causing more destruction to some one's animals (how would you feel if somebody's dog was out loose and attacked your dog?), only to see her euthanized because her owner wasn't found and no one else wanted her. We don't live in a perfect society, unfortunately, and the best any of us can do is to take responsibility for our actions, and for our pets as best as we can.

Meesh- Where you may see excuses, I see reasons. Again, it's my right to carry(legally) a gun if I so choose. I believe in the right to carry a gun. That right was given to me because the truly amazing men who founded this country gave me the right. Actually it was them and all the people who have given their life to keep the freedoms I enjoy.

People seem to use a lot of excuses to keep their guns, there is no proof having guns keeps the murder rate down, police in the US actually believe you are more likely to be killed if you have a gun than not having one.

It is very hard to kill a person and in that second you think about you are dead.

The purpose of gun ownership isn't to kill. You don't shoot to kill.

And I don't think we're "making excuses" to keep the right to have guns. When i was younger my father saved my mother from being taken away in our own car(with me in the backseat) by coming out into our driveway with our gun in his hand. God knows if I would even be writing this right now if it weren't for that.

I have family in Seattle. I know what the US is like and Canada as I also have family in Vancouver.

I know to do what I suggest would be all but impossible but just because something is difficult or impossible or will cost loads of money doesn't

mean you shouldn't make it happen if it is for the best. I am sure there is plenty of room in the US budget to allow for expansion if cuts are made

in other places - how about some of that top secret classified budget use get used to make the streets safer...

Guns are not a good thing. We can all agree on that.

No we can't agree on that. I view them as a good thing, in the correct context.

its an american right to bear arms....

just because we dont over here doesnt mean that they shouldnt

rip to the husky.......but the farmer had every right to shoot the dog, at least he called the owners and explained what happened

millions of americans have guns that are never used outside of a firing range.....dont tar all gun owners with the same brush.

if english people had guns we would be defending the right to protect ourselves and homes with them too......

my two pennies worth

I also have an opinion on the constitution from the perspective of my legal background and that is that constitutions should be flowing like a river and not bound to a route like a road.

With time as the environment changes a rivers course will change... the US constitution and lots of laws all over the world are so antiquated and out of date that they haven't changed with

the times. They simply do not serve the same purpose as they originally did when created.

To use an example that isn't contentious - let me point you guys to intellectual property law aka copyright law.

The current law internationally is wrong. When you download a movie or some music you are not "stealing" you are not committing a crime. You are not doing something "illegal".

Why? on a very simple level because to steal something you have to remove the original version and not return it. Downloading a copy of a copy fails that definition and means

that in actual fact that you are not breaking the law.

Here in the UK a law was recently passed that made ISPs responsible to provide a government body with evidence of "illegal" downloads and when someone gets "3 strikes" you

get banned from the internet for good but the ISPs have to enforce it... I mean wtf? First of all as we established downloading stuff isn't illegal. Second of all since when are the ISPs

become the internet version of prison? If you download stuff you risk being taken to civil court by the copyright holder for them to recover damages. Again damages that were not

even real damages in the first place as you never took anything in the beginning. Even the civil tort law about this is so old that copyright as far as courts are concerned is like stealing

a book and publishing it under your name. Again not a real situation that anyone online is likely to ever have happen.

The law here in the UK and the US and indeed the world related to copyright is totally mangled and out of date.

There are thousands of similar examples that exist of out of date laws that get more and more contorted and confused and added to by legislators without understanding

that those laws are so out of date all they are doing is making lots of lawyers very rich.

I realise I have gone totally off topic here but hopefully you all know realise that if you ever get in trouble for downloading stuff that nothing is simple and your lawyer

can probably get you out of trouble but you will be poor and homeless come the end and he will have a new Ferrari ;)

This is one of the reasons why I am totally for judges making the law by making decisions that set precedents. The way any constitution in the western world works is that

the legislature, the judiciary and executive should be separated to keep everything fair and impartial (known as the separation of powers) when in actual fact as

my above example shows the legislature are doing a rubbish job legislating and messing up the law for the judiciary and the police. As the ultimate power lies in most

cases with the courts then I am all for those judges updating the law... (although when that happens the legislature normally decides that the law in question is due an

update and will change it accordingly.)

the US constitution and lots of laws all over the world are so antiquated and out of date that they haven't changed with

the times. They simply do not serve the same purpose as they originally did when created.

This is the only part I'll address. I think I've got the jist of what your trying to say but if I am taking your post the wrong way, please let me know. US Constitution out of date? I think not. As far as I know, the US is still strong(not in one particular way/area just overall as a country). The fact that you think the US constitution should basically be scrapped, honestly, makes me chuckle. The foresight the founding men had and the thought they put into our consitution is amazing. And they even wrote it down.;) As you can see, it still works today! Three branches: legislative(congress and house of represenatives), judicial branch(supreme court), and executive branch(president). It's a system of checks and balances so no one branch has too much power. I'm not saying it's perfect(holy crap there's a lot of politics going on right now!), but for over 200 years this country has grown and we've made changes. Not changes to the core of the constitution but with ammendments that would make the country a better place.

EDIT: I'm not a lawyer so I don't know a THING about copyright laws.:)

I did not mean the whole constitution is out of date what I meant was certain parts of it are not applicable today as they were created in a different era and that no one wants to accept that what was originally intended by your founding fathers and where the world is now is totally different and thus the constitution like all laws should be changed to take that into account. But of course changing the constitution is also impossible because there is no way every state will agree. Somehow I doubt that George Washington envisaged the constitution not being updated because some very rich people are paying for senator campaigns!!!Of course now we go onto corruption and fairness in the political system... Lol