New; Husky Shopping

Barry in IN

Hi,

New here.  My wife has given the OK to look for another dog.  Good thing I have been looking already.  I hate being caught unprepared.

I'd like a Husky.   We once had a Husky mix, and she was the best dog we ever had.  Wonderful dog in all respects.   Since we've never had a pure Husky and I know it's not the same, I've been researching a bit.  That led me here.

One question:

I keep reading Huskies don't make great watchdogs because they won't bark and love everyone.  

However, I was wondering:   

We have two smaller dogs that do watch/listen/bark/etc.  Although a Husky may not instigate it, would a Husky join in?   Sort of a picking up on the pack behavior thing?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not likely. I have an older Shiba that barks at anyone walking past. Husky just continue with what ever he is doing. Husky also cuddle up to everyone but looks intimidating and scary to non dog lovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Hi,
New here.  My wife has given the OK to look for another dog.  Good thing I have been looking already.  I hate being caught unprepared.

I'd like a Husky.   We once had a Husky mix, and she was the best dog we ever had.  Wonderful dog in all respects.   Since we've never had a pure Husky and I know it's not the same, I've been researching a bit.  That led me here.

One question:
I keep reading Huskies don't make great watchdogs because they won't bark and love everyone.  
 However, I was wondering:   
We have two smaller dogs that do watch/listen/bark/etc.  Although a Husky may not instigate it, would a Husky join in?   Sort of a picking up on the pack behavior thing?

Mine just barks at anyone new for a while until she gets used to them. And that time length varies.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

I had a staffy that used to guard the house n bark every time the door went etc , my huskies never copied , the only time I've heard my husky woo when the door went is when I went over to walk them n had to knock on the door to get in but he knew it was me

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

I guess it depends on the dog. I had Brooke my staffy who would bark at the door every single time someone came to our house. Neither Ice nor Bear picked up on it. They just ignored her.

Hello and welcome!  I think it depends on the individual dog, but I would not count on a husky becoming a watch dog by imitating the others.  I have 3 pure huskies and they just sit quietly and watch people walk by, even other dogs.  I joke that if someone broke in they would show them to the safe as long as they have treats!

As above really, I have a husky/German Shepherd cross (Astro) and a husky (Koda). Astro barks at the door, Koda doesn't copy he just sits there!

Hello and welcome!  I think it depends on the individual dog, but I would not count on a husky becoming a watch dog by imitating the others.  I have 3 pure huskies and they just sit quietly and watch people walk by, even other dogs.  I joke that if someone broke in they would show them to the safe as long as they have treats!

That last part I would believe!!

Mine is afraid of:

Shadows
Mailboxes
Trashcans
Cars
Garbage truck
Recycle truck
Sprinklers
People on bikes
Loud noises close
Loud noises far
Horns
Etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

All that said, if you come in my house without me there she would have no problem growling at you and raising her Mohawk up at you. Lol. Guard dog she is not but she does look terrifying if you didn't know better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 3 dogs two shepherds and a husky mal, the old man shep is always on duty as a guard dog in the house the young girl shep might woof if she see's some one out the window, the husky probably only way he would protect the house is by being a hazard and triping a burgler up as they broke in in the dark

husky would make a great draft blocker though

huskys idea protectinga  door is to lay in front of it to trip folks up

other than that they will just find some where comfy to sleep the couch bathroom kitchen etc

2015-05-27 12.14.46.jpg

2015-05-02 22.50.22.jpg

Great.  Our little Pomeranian doesn't want anyone near the door, but a Husky wouldn't care.    Just great. 

To be honest, if I was going to break into a house I would be more scared of a small dog than a big dog anyway [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

ask any rspca dog warden type person what dog has bit them

the dogs that bite the most are always below knee hieght its a breed thing the smaller the dog the bigger that atitude hence why you get jack russles that think they can savage rotwillers shepherds etc

husky would make a great draft blocker though
huskys idea protectinga  door is to lay in front of it to trip folks up
other than that they will just find some where comfy to sleep the couch bathroom kitchen etc
591f52bc7946d_2015-05-2712_14_46.thumb.jpg.1abce7b35ab7b2aee6ed5357ed29b9b4.jpg
591f52c3302a7_2015-05-0222_50_22.thumb.jpg.21e8ea397339c744cee4ae11ed875bf6.jpg

This is my girl to a T!

Lunar (Ute) guards not only my house - but the two neighbours and one across the street as well, barking like mad  - then howling.   Marley will only give one small bark but joins in enthusiastically with the howling.   He won't initiate the barking though.    Marley would not only welcome a burglar in  -  but show him where the fridge is for treats.

I have a 24 lb puggle along with two Siberian huskies (full blooded). They are by no means a watch dog. They are a good deterrent though as most unsuspecting people think they look scary .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

At our dog park, a guy with another purebred unfortunately had his home broken into when he wasn't home. When he arrived, his husky was casually sitting on the bed eating from a box of dog treats

Ours do wail and carry on when an6 family members come home. Usually it is started by a bark from the puggle, then huskies chime in. Sounds like a wild zoo lol

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting.   

I did hear back from the shelter.  They had some questions about our adoption application.  (A call to our vet showed our dogs overdue for vacc, when they had in fact just been there.)

That was a week ago.  During this wait I've watched some Husky videos...and laughed a lot.   

I had been planning on naming this dog after a friend who took his life almost three years ago.  The anniversary of that date is fast approaching.   If we get this dog very close to that day it will be emotional for sure, if not a little creepy.  

Archived