How Big Is Your Fur Family?

BKarchitect

Just curious...how many dogs, cats and other furry (or otherwise) animals do you have living with you?

My wife and I have 7!  And...we do it in a one bedroom, second floor condo.  Lots of chaos, lots of cleaning but also lots of love...

- Our huskies, Sushi and Mochi are now 8 months old.  Teenage huskies...enough said.

- Scooby is a 10 year-old lhasa apso.  He's the boss but he's also on medication to treat doggy dementia...he's kinda losing his mind slowly but physically still in great shape.  

- Loki is my old cat...we don't know how old she is, I think maybe around 17 or 18 years-old...she just lays around and eats and poops and throws up hairballs but she's a stubborn broad and I suspect she could live to see 20.

- Our trio of sibling cats whom we rescued as feral kittens about 18 months ago are named Shea, Sansa and Dexter (from a couple of our favorite TV shows...Game of Thrones and Dexter).  They must be part maine coon...their dad was somebody's pet and he got a stray pregnant.  We started feeding them outside and of course they stuck around...when animal control got involved we caught them and put them on our deck so they wouldn't get taken in and likely put down.  When that winter rolled around, we went ahead and converted them fully to indoor house cats.  They are awesome cats and aside from being afraid of any human besides my wife and I, are perfectly normal pet cats.  Sansa is grey with some white and browns mixed in and loves to lick and give "love nibbles".  Shea is all black save for a white tuft on her chest...she is a pure sweetheart and was the friendliest as a feral kitten.  Dexter turned from the runt of the litter with an abscess that almost killed him to a big, fat jolly all-black cat who loves to lay in the bathroom sink which is perfectly contoured for his shape.

So that is our fur family.  When I design and build our dream house with some land a little further from the 'burbs - I plan on calling it "Husky House" and it will incorporate a lot of very pet-friendly features in the design.  :D  

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 furkids (would not mind having 1 more..)

1 son awating him to move out (part time daughter inlaw) :D

1 daughter moved out last july she moved to Finland...her mother lives there..:D

We have 3.

Harry husky 3ish, rescued him nearly 2 years ago

Snowy GSD x husky 21 months, rescued him 15 months ago

Maiya Malamute almost 7 years old, rescued her 9 months ago.

Never wanted dogs, now full time fur mum, wouldn't change it for the world :)

3 human kids, daughter 22 at uni last year currently in Spain, Son 19 first year at uni, lives away Mon-Fri.  Son 16 first year at lycee (6th form) and lives at home full time.  Hubby, works away too much! :(

I raised Yuki as one and now I am raising Sushi and Mochi together.

Two is easier - this is assuming they are well integrated as a pack/hierarchy.  Since we got Sushi and Mochi both at basically the same time and age...they are inseperable and while there are a few occassions where it ends up being "double trouble", for the most part, they entertain themselves and tire each other out.  Yuki on the other hand became a tornado of destruction when left to her own devices for extended periods.

I will also say walking two is harder, especially if they are not good with heel! 

I'll agree with Clare here. After you add your 3rd and you get used to that, adding another really doesn't change much. I've got 6 right now and I would say it's probably about the same difficulty as owning 4. The only real problem I have come into is figuring out where to feed them! I try to give them all their own space but I'm running out of room in my kitchen!  :lol: 

To be honest the hardest thing for me is the cost.  Not just the extra food but wormer, flea treatment, annual injections, it all mounts up.

They keep each other company so really are less demanding, though you may find the first dog becomes less interested in YOU, I found that quite hard when we got Snowy.  Harry is now a real loner, maybe he would have gone like that anyway but his mouthing stopped the day we got Snowy, so that was big tick :) 

To be honest the hardest thing for me is the cost. Not just the extra food but wormer, flea treatment, annual injections, it all mounts up.

They keep each other company so really are less demanding, though you may find the first dog becomes less interested in YOU, I found that quite hard when we got Snowy. Harry is now a real loner, maybe he would have gone like that anyway but his mouthing stopped the day we got Snowy, so that was big tick :)

Yeah cost would be an issue too and I wouldn't want her becoming a loner ? she's helped me annormously to get over parents deaths ...

She's my spoilt little girl ??

Yuki was my spoiled little girl and she always be special in that reguard...when I raised her it was just me and her so she truly was an extension of myself.  That's not to say I don't love my current pups as much...their love for each other is amazing and a reflection of my wife and I...but it is different, each situation is unique.

How do you afford to have more than one pet?

Sent from my iPad

We budget for this..not going out to eat (is expensive in Holland anyways) 1 or 2 less take away's...stuff like that..

Yeah cost would be an issue too and I wouldn't want her becoming a loner she's helped me annormously to get over parents deaths ...

She's my spoilt little girl

I'm not saying she would become a loner and less interested in you but it can happen.  My other two are real lap dogs, so it depends on each individual dog, their personalities are so different.

The extra cost is definately a consideration but if you know this in advance, then you can budget for it :)

It is so rewarding seeing them tear round together, best thing we did for Harry was get him some siblings :)