When We Will Be A Good Time.

CARRINGTON

It is fast approaching the one year mark since Balto passed away and my husband and I have been talking about getting another one. I am not sure if we will ever be ready not to own just a husky but any dog for that matter. We still feel awful for not bringing Balto in with us when we went in while working at his moms house because Charlene was hungry and needed a diaper change which took 15 minutes. We even checked him before going in and he was safe in his harness but in 15 minutes he chewed through it (he has never chewed through it in the 1.5 years we had him). Will we ever be ready? Will there ever be a good time to get a dog even if not a husky. :(

Welcome back, it is good to hear from you again!  I also remember that sad day :( 

I would not be so hard on yourself, no one could have predicted what happened.  I had tied up Nikko before and left him unattended for a few minutes before too, so I don't think you could have known he would chew through it that quickly.  Like you said, he had never done that before so I would have been confident that he would be fine for a few minutes.

You gave him a wonderful life, no matter how short it was, and it was a terrible accident. I think you will know when you are ready for another dog, and I am sure you would give the next dog a wonderful life. 

I know it's easy to blame yourself, I would do exactly the same. But accidents happen and it wasn't your fault. He was tied up, he was just a stubborn husky that wanted to run! I have had close calls with Chula, and I know I would be devastated and feel like a terrible owner if one of the times she escaped she got hit or disappeared, but it is a risk we take in having dogs that are known to want to roam. I think you should open yourself up to getting another dog, even if it isn't a husky. There are so many that need a good home.

I remember when you told us. :(

Suka has escaped as well. The first time he did it, I was in complete shock as it was in a way we had never expected (he jumped out of my 2nd story window, onto the roof, and somehow jumped down without hurting himself). I could never have predicted that.

Don't be too hard on yourself. It was an accident and was NOT your fault. 

I took me about 5 weeks to have another dog when Rookie died I was so desperatly sad and could not bear life without a dog to be with.   This was was to soon looking back,  I loved Sidney and when he died I was devastated (he was 10 years old).  With both I blamed myself, second quessed everything I should, should not of done and  still do.  I was so scared to have another one.

However 7 years later My daughter finally won with her constant pleading for a dog (Husky)  and now have Bella and Noah....  So much fun and love...

Please do not blame your self.  You will never be able to forget, but if you have love to give a Husky a home or another breed then do.

Wish you all the best.

It was indeed a sad day...It took me 14 months to get another dog and I know now that i should not have waited that long but I did it for the family (they were not 100% ready)...as far as wether Husky or not do what your heart tells you you will imo compaire the 2 anyways...I know we did and still do...

Welcome home Carrington. :huskyhugs:

Like the others have said before me, follow your heart. [emoji2]

What happened was an accident that could have happened to any of us and it's time you stopped beating yourself up inside, it wasn't your fault.

It really is good to see you again, hope we get to hear some more of what's been happening since you were last here. But Whatever you decide to do, I sincerely wish you and your family all the best. [emoji8] xxx

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. You know how you feel right now? How you felt then? That means that you care, that you have a sense of value and worth that you place on life itself. Are you ready? I think so. In fact so much more than many who think nothing of getting a dog, only to let it go to a shelter, or abandon the animal; and then turn right around and get another with no thought at all. There is a kindred spirit, that I think most of us who love and care for our Huskies, have in common. A part of that spirit suffers with the loss of one of our own, and that's what makes us human. But what also makes us human, is the time we share with our dogs. It's a time like no other, not only for us, but for our dogs. Give a dog a chance to be a part of your life and you'll both benefit from the experience. Or so it seems to me.

Hey Carrington, welcome home x I remember the sad day perfectly well :( but you do know it's not your fault. You can't read the future. I do think you're a great dog owner, and you'd give a lucky dog the best home ever. Do take as much time as you need though, I'm sure it's really hard for you :(

I'm so sorry and I understand where you are coming from as I feel the same way with Meeka...I don't think I will ever be ready and I feel like a horrible owner and actually think we are because her death could of been prevented...we haven't really discussed it because we are not ready yet...it's completely up too you and if your ready..i think your a great owner...you had no idea what would happen..you didn't know he'd chew out that fast or at all..keep your head up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so sorry to hear about what happened, but accidents do happen, no matter how big or small, but don't let one accident determine if you should have another dog or not, think of all the good times, get another dog, love him/her and give them the best possible life you can, every person needs a companion, and i think you owe it to yourself

I cannot believe a year has passed already, I remember it all too well :(

I also remember the arrival of your baby and how you had initial problems introducing Balto to her.  It's funny how time helps us forget and in time you will just remember the good times you shared with Balto.

I think deep down you know what's the right thing to do and only you  know that.

Maybe visit some dog rescue centres and see how it feels

:)