Cups Of Dry Food Per Day

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 cups a day each for 8month old and 2 yr old i do 1 cup morning and 1 cup evening so depending on activity i can decide whether they need the second cup.. most of the time they will eat it all but recently they havent really had an appetite but i blame the weather change. 

Thanks for responding. You feed the 8 month old 2 cups total per day? That's what I'm feeding my 8 month old. Almost every bag of dog food has the feeding chart on it and every one that I have read, recommends double or triple this amount. I'm always concerned that I'm not feeding enough. If I do give her more, she is a pooping machine...so bad as if she can't be absorbing properly. So I've been sticking with 2 cups a day and wondered if this is pretty much the norm? Anyone else?

I would never pay attention to the bag servings, they are way too much, especially with Huskies.  The breed does not need as much food as other breeds do. 

I have always fed mine 2 cups total per day for the most part.  Kodiak is underweight so I feed him 2 1/2 - 3 cups per day and Yukon was overweight a little so he was more like 1 3/4 cups per day.

As far as the ages, I split it up evenly to 3 meals per day until 6 months of age, and after that twice daily.  Some people feed theirs once a day, but I have always kept mine of twice a day feeding.

We have fed Zoya 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the early evening, since she was bout 10 months old.  My vet told me that dog food companies usually use a formula to determine the amount to feed, and it is averaged across multiple breeds.  Of course, Huskies have one of the most efficient digestive systems of all canines, and therefore, do not require as much food as other breeds. 

It's probably so we spend more money! I don't think I've ever given any dogs I've had as much as the bag says. I've never actually read the feeding chart. But she seems thin to me. But she's my first Husky. She seems so long too lol maybe that's why... We call her hot dog! Here is her photos taken today. What do you think?post-11633-0-12578900-1409679253_thumb.jpost-11633-0-06186000-1409679268_thumb.jpost-11633-0-75184600-1409679308_thumb.j

I think she looks pretty good, its hard to tell without an overhead shot though. I don't think it would hurt to up the food by 1/2 cup per day, the extra food can be kept separate from the main meals and used throughout the day for training. Or get a good quality natural meat treat to use for training and as the addition to the diet. Something like freeze dried 100% beef, lamb, chicken or fish. Be careful with too much liver jerky as she may get the runs. The treats are going to be more expensive than using extra kibble though. Oh and try to avoid the treats made in China and Thailand as the quality control is quite poor in my opinion.

Aspen is 1 and she usually eats 1 cup a day just depends and Tuff is 3 and he eats 2 cups a day. Aspen is petite she always has been. She grazes all day. She weighs around 54 lbs and Tuff weights about 86 lbs. I fill their bowls with a cup in the morning and 1 cup at dinner time. My dogs usually won't eat unless we eat. When Aspen was a puppy she ate 3 times a day but she started cutting her meals at around 7 months. I was always worried she wasn't eating enough because I was comparing her to Tuff but he's a big boy. Yours pup looks a good weight to me.

Thanks all. This helps :) Jase, good idea on the treats....that reminded me of something. My father makes chicken and beef treats for his lab and terrier. He has a food dehydrator and he gets chicken breasts or beef (alternates) and slices it thin and dehydrates it. They love it! All natural nothing added. Ever since the bags sold in stores from china are a no no. He hasn't made it in a month or so. Going to have to remind him to make a big batch, maybe I'll get myself a dehydrator. It is a great treat idea. :)

I actually dont reccomend using cups to measure out food as it is never accurate. 

I use kitchen scales and i dont feed dry food but it would work the same... Shadow gets 500 grams of raw per day and Skye 550 grams, measuring it out like that i know exactly what they are getting :)

Thanks all. This helps :) Jase, good idea on the treats....that reminded me of something. My father makes chicken and beef treats for his lab and terrier. He has a food dehydrator and he gets chicken breasts or beef (alternates) and slices it thin and dehydrates it. They love it! All natural nothing added. Ever since the bags sold in stores from china are a no no. He hasn't made it in a month or so. Going to have to remind him to make a big batch, maybe I'll get myself a dehydrator. It is a great treat idea. :)

Oh yes - definitely the way to go with the dehydrator  :up:

Never take in what it says on the bag! Harry our 2 year old hasn't really eaten for a couple of days but we have just driven back from Spain where it was 40c.  He's eaten literally a handful today but he has lots of energy and seems happy, so I'm not worried.

Generally huskies are 'skinny' up to one years old, so I wouldn't worry if she seems on the thin side.  As long as she's getting a good diet then you will have to adapt her food to her poo :)

They generally fill out around 15 months, unless of course she's one of the slender types.  I wouldn't worry as long as she's happy and her toilet is good, then that's all :)

She's happy, but I think she would eat the entire bag if I let her lol. I just don't want to be under feeding her. Today, she has gone a large amount 3 times already and it's just 4 pm... Ugh. I'm still also trying to decide a good dry food to switch her to. She can't eat the good grain free gluten free foods, as she wasn't absorbing everything. She was going 4-6 times a day on TOTW. Vet said it was too rich. With all the controversy over foods, it's hard to make a good choice. I don't want to switch her too many times.

Sometimes it's not what you're feeding them but how much.  In the wild they would probably only eat 3-4 times a week.  

My half husky/german shepherd would eat a whole bag of food if he was allowed but I've had to be really strict with his diet as he would go 6-7 times a day and some of it was very loose!  He's  now 14 months and is on about 200gms a day of food, spread over 2 meals.  He's quite a small dog, weighing in at 20kgs about 45 lbs. I could feed him more but then he'd have diorhea.

Mine eats about 1.5 cups of kibble (currently a mix of canidae pure salmon and solid gold barking at the moon). She also gets a small tin of wet food mixed in with her dinner.

She's 43 pounds. Thin and athletic.

In my experience, the higher the protein level of the kibble, the less they need.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

By the pics posted I'd say shes pretty healthy weight wise. I just took mine in to the vet for his 2 yr old check up and hes the same kind of lean or slender build. The vet said a lot of huskies naturally have that build and he was right where he'd like to see him weight wise. But as previously noted he may not always eat all of it.

• 4 months later...

I have a very hard time on knowing what to feed my huskies. I have a girl who weighed 40 ibs when she was a year and now she’s 1 year and 3 months. I fed her a lot compared to what you guys are feeding yours. She’s eating 3 1/2cups a day now. And my boy weighed 72 lbs at 9 months and he’s now 1 year as of 6 days ago and looks a lot bigger than he did when I weighed him before. But he’s getting 5 to 6 cups a day. And if they exercise I add a cup. But they still look skinny. I feed them puppy authority from petsmart. What’s your opinions? Should I slow the amount of food down or not? I’m spending 43$ every two weeks on their feed and if I slow down the amount it could save us money to where I can go to buffalo or something a lot better. 

7763F332-492E-48CA-9032-7E84801FC9F7.jpeg

60F4B248-5B44-4CBE-A0A8-8720A1428738.jpeg

EC5F5D2D-02CD-410A-A243-357CE64CE713.jpeg

Edited by Angel.D597
Showing pictures

• 4 weeks later...

My husky is about 40lbs and i feed her about 1-2 cups per day. My other one is a husky malamute mix and he will only eat 2 cups a day total and he is 80lbs. We figured she Leia is half his weight to half her food but as we have had her we realized that she has a higher metabalism that Maximus. I think she should be eating 2 cups a day. If anyone can confirm that it would be appreciated. Also noteworthy they get a lot of exercsie. Morning walk: 20 minutes Afternoon walk: 1-3 hours Evening walk: 20 minutes

AquHyja2vMdNOT3mqShx_sAqNODjl1wUfh9bGIJP6CnCEF-rR9fjs64ct30zJZlELEIChSmdGAOwxbaKKJIiG6JBB-xODs2c9OpVDu1zD6c0_oqTKU6wD_eQb8miz77Clh3DY4vrMJtGtJ7d_QOCDnmtUgSsv576nYC2cgTp6iITtcHk9qJpB_RdcMjQYQNoKpRsItkthEavGwki6D9Bwyko6ZEbTp5XrPTr9sQhLudBI9jwdKwpfQvlgArHCjeYw_DNG3lNkPdUsaeAP_fWErXs6NEI_Xpp073dml9o0ydgvd-LDnIcMhq-e98F9mKiU8DG_eDovAFoIGBFJaTOCyxp8FhE-iebAVxSM1h3JPCmH2o0DbQFuZEPsyHluYV4AdJxOuwl0zs_YfccQGn1j_kr6TYCxDvPxReloOLSIfrawyOzHV2FjcyV_ObnPCco5qKbJBtynBoZM3hHXDuORsd7XB1Q14td7qBVKbYeig_5FnTEObOzywAp1zzpYKl47jUPWK6RgELjXAqA41Cok785YfILBO9gniPZN4Yt_V_a0H3G7tvto1Z4zQ-Up8uyxg7SJQhS-O0jMaW12Y3SHlVzNURBCgm0n-NSVo_iSfFfljmY288vn3q0YJueZcYp203GiqDYUzYHInkkHwFFgvjT4yQA21ToFKgNwK9K9i5f5NHb4wq-s830FvptVIc=w684-h911-noZP7y7JmYye55nBJQZ6GW_BGI0c4v8XYVFBiH6LmYLC_emfK3jbMmKIv90mqgy2ldVfJCkeq5EMIr-ajEqe8-lB5GvwUGDZ_Mcuxl12jxl0etbuyL9BCsIOMkjmKLh-7dg_1aX54tmnEkW7SqbP7EXrfRlw--LDgsSi1HEpQyHy23npRzjyaJS-z0aZnYb1G_vRnjqCB7rlumPYplGMvoGcqZ2pM8lZqb4TX1EKCQJph3Zf4LNGDMXgyW-gxreTVDvKBIf7CTyU6HYnZo_Ec4ECRkJItG3ukLiSZDYRlqDm_6ufevg-T7CZWKdR7OmGoHHrZ165qiYZ9SYE1hTwsaAGtXVn2fds78Cu3MENMtDDTGkXto7jYnCn6KzprJDP1BrR4vQ2CQ-CE84Oa9PfM0uTHpou_W2Ox-MPtN2iOSkr60wB1sGMdwX5gA67-Rpl3xHh2jqImLxy2nmDLY5bIzN4NIo0WEbJGbcTeA45zZ52Mp8rqBOmKVBW4SFVHPSQLUxf6lc4b43_DZoId33i7RC5PGMnHK_qORVr-rISN-rmvT2lCq19SaTHdykniiYq6u6Mc745vBMh7sLNWNxpKRdaTrMEAUxNSF-Ap45UFx0RHeS6ciI7PnuJMogtyl0IMkcPFOvoYGk3sSjgpaNfofw6px3BiNM9JSUAdE-V3FQxARL6IIGfUg9EIaKIQCIg=w684-h911-no

lYZW0IPeeT2Nn-D8Zvg6USZqp6_zsEqw8AsYzDFVNZaCgBEJdPfqSRBm2tOClxIkLyEnmBSq-KN96p-sVQ-oQ3YGS3Un_rezKHwe3n2tBFMOq7jZBuk5forKTfBVPhUODpgEL9gWBtMFuWtV_0SzK1D3PDsOs2TsjBTvTO3pzs6FKBYIaZY2S4OnVhouNFtCzyuDNuJrqVvl4i7nnD0qc9nEUGSf7SgnC34ilbXO3HWfoT3lYUnl_AiYBjTWAau-AuYNnfDDvRV5wTzBrCs2Qm9coYcEP8bU-Ns8B0os6oZp2jzNwRySSoBvy_Q1HnvXANG82WbbeeDWGjNQVoYmZn7rjqjAanjFmVwPH02MPVDF0BmjPZ5TpyaIm4NNmVBgmkVQhIrnoMZLqgrtoARPFZHlsyiqGQM-NoDzrfPSrj4YWHY3Zs4oR90tiGDqiqYGWP58l5D3LBF-Ok7H1J6WBvCTIifGGZNcHfBz0jiznG1HYbMi4DIMGSdhDOEUM67VhuBlWrzIRIAc__U-HjhFyw4Rfc1XiUtf2EwVVJz7ca5Mha8XOdn-vsf0YJDJk7YlW8Ps6q66XJJkrBSURr0UvIBMmPLv7bzxT8xwW4f1qsgJFk0O2ccblbLrkPfQtU0R80nEZSX9raUa2gdwZ2ZXnlulIgje4s6q2U9DF9tybY7w39XBroqbbW4wY9PdB7k=w513-h911-noMK1PjDvZpdkaGdTAaie6Ai6k_7KPBGFtaVffApEZLJtEUP_P3UlsNleC46-GrUpo6IHllf4TLnnOwcDawH_xO9Lp3oQQduKLpCPupgZdvy1STZKtnDcasGYKhSv_BBQpI2VHUvlVWyaIf1QCen7bmCZ-BgfUKAUB-emt2ul51ja-MZNfw96W843HzAmCb3DAWFNMsMPfftjaMRLxfnfSbfN6wfCoW0e36SWN2n6z8vsf-egt6_gAvXCL_b_lDaVMQTytnF1QHugqR-RrB1Lwx_c4d0iod6xMbdqJa1-pjBNYX__0GfA6PBvmFeSPUD3pFvNdJSC1xVk5ruZSlQaXbHEiw11hhyTMaBzJpjeiDnKCt61E1-82E7ZNybAmtyOX1vV25G4Xx1Jx7CQKHH-TaXvJ9INQcrFILrjIEcs48l7Xcqj8t3nQfOoTLhUR8wLdvS2iMwO2nDKlxXMrL5Eo0sHTY1OAmBmCff168li0m5wtrHjy5a6Z9tfiLWR8oWTJU6AqasUyoQCOC6R6HVbpI_bLQfrW6X1GGBOQrZTe1vZv_kDwKtR4SU8afuna0z6Xr5TRK9qa82PFxSyPnHYtQTtuKpKLUZPkI_PJVQvd-dOTMzkTudlcBCIJydTrLTuIFf-PgivQ4zqO3R3ZHThaATzDy7CVai33SymrHuL0KiiWS4NiqYIVnN4IzxJ-rw=w684-h911-noCcyMbOolrLjDV2qnH_4bWZMxCTeiL1ahXbs95fpnD68u3fTbwJphmJDBFMRXm3oQlYFkASMbvYNharHq2CTbckE7WXq7BgXYZfRVcrKyLb5BsJUZGRaDn2COUYCL7BHYqQ42jZ36IfJOZGXr4WH_yrMvBOJ9wtPw60V88gApO51G6bx4P3RFqd6AYvsvO5iwBLLYe7wEBm2EQnBQhkA-1uMpMSvgAZfuuayr6O-NK-BlAar_O3yvUW0MCaqP3bBQuR6DXc544yXEu4TVxSfLHqYXwMC3XBe_Rr6K2LrHb34tjS317z7ICy5WV9KvwwWQBldJk0-FidYxwaen9TyOcCwO-49Z8SLB1JaeWhZFIcT3F07j_EYqX3gf_RWR7y_emzXFeVXPny0gIAWwzov7WiPZNyH5bDczfINdS_lVWNdhIqRr7fP-u8eHVQRqg65BahUmn2wQAguIeTP4DyZbmnOEyTzlJVk4vHPL65wEBRSwULeCn889NFwsqb6HWGilD9Ug8jeQ0fekfvCKMdRzPrGllASAonOG335nnwMVQLNmGQCN0eUB_XxMqslV_pWAO5QK1GogK7U7VYZbUHbsqGmX6cGe9KxFmuLLXqOy5-6mD3jIOjGfJZwkoDig1Pp2LNmofGUsJC6bVR5dLQkL4mjIELJVwz-QLXIXJMqxLXA1m_EdhyeveUIhkhXbyg=w684-h911-no

• 2 months later...

I am seeing all these posts that say you only feed your husky's 2 cups of food a day. I feed my 5 month old husky (male and very active) 2 cups of food 2 x's a day so a total of 4 cups of food a day and I am wondering if this is enough! By time morning feeding and dinner time come he eats like its his last meal! And there is no competition or anything like that in my house for food. He is the only big dog. 

I agree with you Sugar. I was super surprised with how little all these huskies are eating. I have an almost 5 month old husky that walks 4 miles in the morning and goes to the dog beach or dog park for 2 hours every evening. I currently feed her twice a day and I give her 3 cups of Blue Diamond puppy kibble (total for the day) mixed with either some tuna or boiled egg or avocado and some lettuce (with both meals) and I feel like she still might be hungry. She is 30 pounds, lean, and super healthy. I guess I’m glad I’m not under-feeding her 😬. So I guess at the end of the day it just all depends on the animal.