Walking Belts

HuskyGuerl

Ok I am thinking about buying one of these. But...How do they work? What do I look for? And where is a good place to get one?!  The reason I ask is because I normally walk all three of my dogs alone. We normally do it as soon as I get home and its either a 2 mile walk down the road or 2 mile jog down the road when I do it alone. But when we go places or when my hubby is up to it he helps and walks with so its not bad. (He works 12 hour days Monday through Friday so thats normally why I do the walking) Well we want something to help me out when I do the walking alone. Right now I use three police leads on all three of them..I hook echos around my waist and hold each girls in each hand. Well its hard to take pictures doingt this and i have to hold onto echos leash also to keep it up and from tripping me..So i need some help

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walking belts are amazing its hands free dog walking also all the pull is on your waist and not on your arms loads of places you can get them from now too getting one will improve your dog walk like you would never believe when you get one you will think how did I ever do without it

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I had one made by Canadog - great quality and price.

Only thing is, I've not strong or heavy enough to be an anchor...so when my 80 pound dog pulls to get at something (and he ONLY pulls to get at things, not all the time, so its difficult to predict and brace yourself), I end up on the ground. I have a few scars from falls and drags - couldn't press the quick release button fast enough.

Although, with 3 dogs it might be easier as you have the other two to counter pull. Unless all 3 pull to get at the same thing...

It's okay, I was confused at first too.

There are a few ways to set it up. This is how I set it up for my dog:

This is the belt I had. The Canadog Canicross: http://www.canadog.ca/canicross-hands-free-walking-belt/

After it was all done up, you have your loop on each side (for heeling, and I guess they are more useful if you have more than 1 dog) and a central loop at the front. I connected one end of a police lead (from Indi-Dog) to the central loop, and connected the other end to Suka's collar.

Video of it in action (not me or my dog!):

Also SASS just has a carabiner you can put your leash loop in or since you're using the police leads you could probably stick some heavy-duty ring on it and clip the three leads to that. It keeps it nice and centered and locked in.

The main difference between a belt like SASS and one from alpine is built in shock absorbers. SASS (or Indi-Dog) you can use your own leads, just put it on the carabiner. Alpine, you have to buy their leads if you want a shock absorber in it. I don't dislike alpine at all and actually love their gear, but I have a million leashes and like to switch them out and use a variety of types and colors so I prefer my belt that has the build-in shock absorbers and a carabiner to just lock in any leash I want.

post-8679-0-84429300-1380752602_thumb.jp

It's okay, I was confused at first too.

There are a few ways to set it up. This is how I set it up for my dog:

This is the belt I had. The Canadog Canicross: http://www.canadog.ca/canicross-hands-free-walking-belt/

After it was all done up, you have your loop on each side (for heeling, and I guess they are more useful if you have more than 1 dog) and a central loop at the front. I connected one end of a police lead (from Indi-Dog) to the central loop, and connected the other end to Suka's collar.

Video of it in action (not me or my dog!):

Oh wow that is easy! Looks really good to! I like the portable dog bowl

Also SASS just has a carabiner you can put your leash loop in or since you're using the police leads you could probably stick some heavy-duty ring on it and clip the three leads to that. It keeps it nice and centered and locked in.

The main difference between a belt like SASS and one from alpine is built in shock absorbers. SASS (or Indi-Dog) you can use your own leads, just put it on the carabiner. Alpine, you have to buy their leads if you want a shock absorber in it. I don't dislike alpine at all and actually love their gear, but I have a million leashes and like to switch them out and use a variety of types and colors so I prefer my belt that has the build-in shock absorbers and a carabiner to just lock in any leash I want.

Well I like all my separate leads also and wouldn't want to run only one pattern. So this sounds neat also!

I have a manmat belt but am looking to get a sass or indie belt as I think the manmat doesn't give you enough room so I end up on falling over the dogs feet. I wouldn't be without my belt thru so much easier to control them and no worries of me dropping the leashes but if I walk the mals I normally just use the leads as they don't pull as much as the huskies.