So Why Do They Look Like Wolves?

Chula

I know that huskies are not any more wolf than a chihuahua, but how did they manage to maintain some of the most wolf-like physical characteristics?

Was just wondering this today. I'm no expert in the sciences, so I'm always interested in the thoughts of those smarter than I. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

could it be because they have been messed around with less.

most breeds have been changed to excel in other areas. Would it be safe to say that Huskys are similar looking due to what they are bred to do?!?!

I believe we haven't messed around with the breed too much that facial features etc etc haven't changed?

I'm not sure either...I watch the Dogs 101 on the Animal planet all the time and it is interesting how certain dogs were bred for different things, like rat terriers or retreivers.  Probably someone a long long time ago needed dogs to pull sleds and the weight and build of a wolf was more suited for the job.

But...what did they breed wolves with to make chihuahuas? Or did they just keep breeding smaller and smaller wolves with funny faces until they got a chihuahua. If every breed has a similar ancestor, how did dogs become so varied? Even people aren't as varied physically as dogs are.

Evolution is so interesting. I never gave a lot of thought to dog evolution because I was never a dog person, but now I'm fascinated by it.

Edited by Chula

Hmmmmn, that coyote looks very similar in facial features to the foxes we get over here in the uk. Wonder if they're related?

No idea why huskies have some more wolf type qualities than other breeds though, sorry.

No, they are not related. To put it in simple terms, foxes belong to the genus Vulpes, and Coyotes/Wolves/Dogs belong to the genus Canis. That means: coyotes, wolves, and dogs can all interbreed. But the fox can't because it isn't the same genus.

They probably look similar (snout, etc) because they evolved to hunt smaller game (mice and etc). Their snouts would have to be long, narrow, and pointy to stick through the mice holes. :)

But...what did they breed wolves with to make chihuahuas? Or did they just keep breeding smaller and smaller wolves with funny faces until they got a chihuahua. If every breed has a similar ancestor, how did dogs become so varied? Even people aren't as varied physically as dogs are.

Evolution is so interesting. I never gave a lot of thought to dog evolution because I was never a dog person, but now I'm fascinated by it.

Sorry for the double post, but I guess they all branched out from the first 'breed' of dog. They were selectively bred to perform certain tasks (herding, pulling, hunting, etc), and along with that their appearance changed. I had this book once about the history of the dog, it was really fascinating. Can't seem to find it though...

No, they are not related. To put it in simple terms, foxes belong to the genus Vulpes, and Coyotes/Wolves/Dogs belong to the genus Canis. That means: coyotes, wolves, and dogs can all interbreed. But the fox can't because it isn't the same genus.

They probably look similar (snout, etc) because they evolved to hunt smaller game (mice and etc). Their snouts would have to be long, narrow, and pointy to stick through the mice holes. :)

The ones here are more evolved to hunt the bins :(

Our foxes look so bad, I used to see beautiful foxes in the countryside in France. :(

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Our foxes look so bad, I used to see beautiful foxes in the countryside in France. :(

LOL - that too. They can be scavengers, much like the coyote, and are well equipped to handle the human world. 

LOL - that too. They can be scavengers, much like the coyote, and are well equipped to handle the human world.

Yepp! People here tend to think they're a nuisance but I love them, they're clever little things and a beautiful animal aswell (Well meant to be lol...) but I much prefered seeing them in the countryside than ravaging through the bins when I come of Lidl lol

Yepp! People here tend to think they're a nuisance but I love them, they're clever little things and a beautiful animal aswell (Well meant to be lol...) but I much prefered seeing them in the countryside than ravaging through the bins when I come of Lidl lol

lol, true. But think about it. If you were a fox, and you didn't care about your appearance, would you rather waste energy hunting in the countryside? Or would you rather just wait for the food to be brought to you (ie: garbage)? 

Also, in the city, the foxes wouldn't have as many predators as they would in the country. So that's another incentive for them to move into the city. 

lol, true. But think about it. If you were a fox, and you didn't care about your appearance, would you rather waste energy hunting in the countryside? Or would you rather just wait for the food to be brought to you (ie: garbage)?

Also, in the city, the foxes wouldn't have as many predators as they would in the country. So that's another incentive for them to move into the city.

Yeah definately, I know what you mean lol

This is a most excellent topic, because it really provokes good back and forth posting, plus it is extremely interesting to me.  I liked Toni's comment that perhaps we have not messed with them as much, because I think that is the essence of why Siberian Huskies have remained stable as a breed.  If you think about it, they have only been out of Russia for a little over 100 years, and for the majority of that 100 year span, in the frozen tundra areas.  Unlike many other breeds that have been around larger civilized areas for a much longer period.  This is all opinion and conjecture, with no scientific fact at all, but I don't know, seems to make sense to me.

Edited by Mazz

Lmao, I was just about to say that! You beat me to it! Ha ha ha.

Hidden

Dogs in the Chukotka region of Siberia were not bred to fit any looks, they were a landrace. The one who survived (and later became the Siberian Husky) were the dogs who were prepared the best. Working ability was a must, so a good coat, feet, and the ability to travel tirelessly for long distances, were key. They are no more related to wolves than our neighbor's poodle, but the similar conditions and requirements for the type of work made for a dog that shared similar physical traits to wolves.

I guess where I get tripped up is the idea that something was "bred" to be a certain way. In order to get to a chihuahua from a primitive wolf, a lot of something crazy had to happen. I can understand it better from an evolutionary standpoint, but the breeding thing is what confuses me. What did they breed a primitive wolf ancestor with to get something other than a primitive wolf?

I guess where I get tripped up is the idea that something was "bred" to be a certain way. In order to get to a chihuahua from a primitive wolf, a lot of something crazy had to happen. I can understand it better from an evolutionary standpoint, but the breeding thing is what confuses me. What did they breed a primitive wolf ancestor with to get something other than a primitive wolf?

I don't think they bred them with anything originally, more a case of the function they needed the dogs to perform

i.e smaller etc, for getting into badger sets that sort of thing required a smaller dog and so the owners bred FROM the smaller dog and so theose genes became dominant

and the shape of that particular type of dog changed and became a breed (terrier for example)

I'm pretty sure the husky just happened to have the general look of the wolves rather than it being directly from wolf. Though tbh huskies don't look very much to wolves to me. Researches tried to figure out the ancient breeds and how they connect to each other using their DNA. This is what they figured out:

post-2355-0-39534000-1378751022.png

Since the husky is also an ancient breed it's also being featured. Interesting is that it's believed to be descended from the Basenji which doesn't really have the husky look at al.

post-2355-0-14647800-1378751167.jpg

Also notable is the Shar-Pei being believed to be directly related to the wolf. Though if you see them, they don't look ANYTHING like a wolf.

post-2355-0-50862300-1378751166.jpg

From this I can make up that looks don't say anything about how 'far' a breed is from the wolves. Either that, or the graphs is wrong or both breeds used to look completely different in the past which I doubt.