So Why Do They Look Like Wolves?

Chula

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a page describing the whole 'are huskies closer to wolves?' question in detail: http://www.workingdogweb.com/RSH-2004-1.htm

Basically as described, despite being genetically closer to wolves than a lot of other dogs, it doesn't make them less dog and more wolf. For the husky it's a bit harder, but for the Shar-pei that should be obvious. They don't look or act like wolves though are genetically one of the closest breeds to wolves. Huskies just happened to have been breed for similar conditions most wolves live in. It's believed dogs split of from the wolves about 100,000 years ago. So what does 'closer to wolves' really mean in that context?

So are huskies closer than wolves? I guess it depends on how you compare them. Genetically? I suppose so if you look at the details. Behaviour and looks? Nope. Just pure coincidence.

Dogs have relatively smaller skulls, smaller brains, and smaller teeth as compared to wolves. Smaller brains require lesser calories for dogs to survive. The paw of a dog is half the size of that of a wolf, and its tail curls upwards, unlike that of a wolf. Dog teeth have less complicated cusp patterns and a much smaller tympanic bulla as compared to wolves.

Wolves have a longer muzzle and legs. They have a narrow chest with forelegs pressed into it. Elbows point inwards and feet point outwards. Also, wolves have a pre-caudal gland at the base of their tail used to release a pheromone onto another wolf, marking that wolf as a member of a particular pack. This gland is no longer functionary in dogs.

http://missionwolf.org/page/wolf-dog-difference/

Skull of an gray wulf vs an mastiff

post-10831-0-61199100-1378752798.jpg

Anyone who has been close to a real wolf will attest that

apart from the almond shaped eyes and slight "mask" markings on the face

Huskies Actually DON'T look like wolves.

Wolves are MUCH bigger tend to be a dirty brown or grey but not huge fluctuations in overall coat colour.

and the Tails don't curl up.

We humans however see the slight resemblance (more than most other dogs admittedly)and see "Wolf"

Yeah, to me a husky doesn't even look close to a wolf or a coyote. The proportions are all wrong, the colours are all wrong...

If I was a random stranger on the street, knowing nothing about huskies, and I saw Suka, I would not immediately think 'wolf'. I would probably think he's an arctic breed of 'some sort'.

But, unfortunately, most people are not me and immediately jump to the conclusion that Suka MUST be a wolf.  :rolleyes:

Hidden

The problem with the theories of which breed came first is that there WERENT breeds in most cases. But they were all landrace groups.  All of these came from a proto dog type which may have varied from area to area. Depending on the needs of the people and the environment. 

Up until I got the boys, I always thought that husky's were closer to the wolf than any other breed.

Although, like mentioned before, they are not the closest relative, they seem to be one of the few breeds that have changed so little, and thus still get mistaken for wolves by those who are...Cough Cough naïve.

Is it possible/true to say that although the Shar-Pei is a closer relative due to being in-breeding, and selective breeding this has resulted in the dramatic change in looks? Or is it simply a coincidence that they have come out looking similar, due to the conditions and purpose the dogs are used for are similar to the wolf.

The ones here are more evolved to hunt the bins :(

Our foxes look so bad, I used to see beautiful foxes in the countryside in France. :(

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Urban foxes are a good example of evolution i think. They are smaller generally than country foxes. Could be the result of a poor diet or a response to a different environment. As for the wolf debate Elka's parents are both 'pedigree' dogs with all the paperwork that apparently comes with that. From this the breeders told me one parent was 15 generations from wolf and the other 8. There is a Husky/wolf cross somewhere in Portsmouth that's being put out to stud because puppy's are occasionally up for sale with a Husky/wolf posted as the father. I avoided these ads when looking for a puppy. Also my understanding is that because the dogs the tribes kept wandered they interbred with wolves. That and the selective breeding for strength to pull and work would make the some of the characteristics of a wolf desirable to so these dogs would be bred from. Just from the extensive reading up that comes with considering getting a Husky.

There's something that nobody has mentioned here:

Remember, our modern wolves are NOT the ones that the Chukchi tribe bred with their dogs. I heard that they're some kind of a now-extinct wild dogs that originate in Asia. Plus, I don't think huskies look like wolves... Colors and size are all wrong  :o