Kalamity :)

Devildust76

Does anyone know of a way to try and stop the food and water aggression in Kodiak? Sy tried to give them both a mini carrot each, and Kodiak went for Kala...

Things are back to normal again, but a bit concerned about the food aggression.

We're training Kala to try and get rid of it in her, as currently if you try and get her food bowl whilst she's eating, she growls... We're trying to get this stopped, but with Kodi, not sure what to do!!!

I think they'll have to be fed further apart. I'm sure there's a way of making them tolerate each other's presence during meal time, but safest way to start is by feeding them either separately or in different sides of the room. As for Kala's food aggression, try hand feeding her. Btw I don't want to make assumptions, but since she's new maybe she just doesn't feel comfortable with your family yet. In Diamond's first week at home, I made the mistake of touching his food while he was coming to get it. He let out this scary, deep warning growl that clearly meant "back off". However, that is the first and last time Diamond growled at me. Once I get to know him more, he doesn't mind me touching his kibbles even when he's eating. 

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We currently feeding Kala in her crate for now, and Kodiak is fed in the kitchen.

I've been taking her food away from her mid meal, but we're also hand feeding her as well.

It has only been 2 days, so not expecting miracles.

Yeah I feed the 3 of mine in different areas of the kitchen, and sometimes when Kodiaks bowl is moving about and gets too close to Yukon's, Yukon will growl at him.  Also baby carrots have caused a couple fights here too.  I just make sure to give it to them a little further apart from each other.  

So. Things seem to be going quite well this morning :)

Posted Image

And we've just been for our first walkies with Kala in her carrier! She only escaped once and dangled at the end of her restraint like a fluffy ball until I managed to get the bag off and pop her back in - this time fully zipped up! Kodiak wasn't bothered he just kept wooing :D

Hows the food aggression today??

I can put my twos food down now and leave the room they fully respect each others space and then go and check each others bowls out afterwards.

I ALWAYS make them sit and wait before i "release" them to eat. Not really sure how i got to this place as i did have a few times shadow went for skye over food but now they both know their boundaries its okay. I however do seperate when it comes down to raw bones etc.

It has been a good day :) She's been fed in her crate and he's being fed in the kitchen as usual for now. We took her to the vets tonight for her first jabs and the little monkey weighs 6kg already! Kodiak weighed 11kg at 10 weeks so at least she's got a few to go :)

Kodiak is great with us and his food. I could take his bowl away halfway through him eating and he wouldn't complain. She's a work in progress! Lol.