What Are You Reading ?

Rosemary

Just finished The Transhuman Wager by Zoltan Istvan. . . . interesting ideas and philosophies.

Now I'm on Calibans War by James S A Corey (The Expanse book 2)

after that I'll be on Abaddons Gate (book 3)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not a massive reader, all I've really read is the eragon series, a bunch of horse related novels and the fifty shades of grey series, at the moment I found one in a charity shop that I've just started to read which is called ''Endal'', about a labrador that helped an injured navy officer and his family.

I am saving up to get the a song of ice and fire series though, cant wait to get stuck in those :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Raymond e Feist Magicians end.  the very last book in a set covering 30 books

Love the Magician series.

Read about half of them, need to carry on and catch up. :)

I just finished Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. It was really good, I enjoyed it. I then watched the movie, very disappointed. It didn't do the book justice at all.

Have you read Blood Oath by Chris Farnsworth? It is about a Vampire sworn to serve the President - It is a fun read. THere are a couple of sequels that I just haven't go around to purchasing yet.

Since you started this with post-apocalyptic books, I ran into a pair that I found good - they have the familiar ring of Alas Babylon but the author has updated them to the 21st century.  The author writes under the pseudonym of "Angery American" (and yes, I spelled that correctly) the first book of the series is Going Home and the second is Surviving Home  Amazon sells them as ebooks for US$3.99 and $4.99 apiece.

Their write up about them is:

Imagine you're driving down the interstate, it's Friday and all you can think about is getting your weekend started. Then to begin the ruination of your much anticipated weekend the grating tone of the Emergency Alert System flashes over the radio, then promptly dies. This is the beginning of a 250-mile odyssey for Morgan Carter. Morgan works on the road and finds himself far from home when his car dies, as well as his Blackberry and every other piece of electronics he has.

With no idea what has occurred he reluctantly finds himself on shanks' mare carrying that ridiculous pack that everyone made fun of him for keeping in the car. Morgan has to find his way across the state of Florida, from Tallahassee to the heart of the state in Lake County. Along his way he has to seek out food, water, and shelter where he can, not to mention keeping himself from being killed by any number of now scared and desperate people. During his travels he will try and help where he can, but that can turn out to be a costly mistake.

We live in a wonderfully modern society where anything we want is a mouse click away. The lights come on with the flip of a switch and even a child can turn on the faucet at the sink and water always comes out. But what if it all went away? Could you face what Morgan faces? Could you make the decisions he has to make? Life and sometimes death in the blink of an eye - could you do it?

©2013 A. American; (P)2013 Podium Publishing

A very good read if we ignore some typos in what appears to be basically a self published book.

Have you read Blood Oath by Chris Farnsworth? It is about a Vampire sworn to serve the President - It is a fun read. THere are a couple of sequels that I just haven't go around to purchasing yet.

No, but I might just have to check it out... Sounds interesting. Thanks!!

I am half way into Winterdance - The Fine Madness of Alaskan Dog Racing by Gary Paulsen

It is a non-fiction novel that is laugh-out-loud funny in places. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

2 More Good Post Apocalyptic books

The Postman by David Brin (Far better than the horrible Kevin costner movie adapted from the book)

The Stand by Stephen King.

Started world war z last night its a little odd as anyone else read it ?

Yeah, I read it a couple of years ago. It is very well done, but I like more character driven novels rather than lots of little stories woven together. It is worth the read though I think.

2 More Good Post Apocalyptic books

The Postman by David Brin (Far better than the horrible Kevin costner movie adapted from the book)

The Stand by Stephen King.

Just ordered The Postman! 

I do love my Apocalyptic books. Finished Apocalypse Law 1 and 2 by John Grit which are pretty good but only around 200 pages a book. The Passage and Twelve by Justin Cronin are excellent, sort of a zombie apocalypse but instead of a zombies plaque they are a sort of vampire type creature.

Started world war z last night its a little odd as anyone else read it ?

No I haven't ..... but I desperately want to see the movie. I heard that the book is a bit strange. I love post apocalyptic fiction. Jason Brant has just released Devoured which is a good (fun?) read lol.

I am reading Behind Blue Eyes about the members of a rock band which started in the late 70's, it is great, and it is a break from all the zombies ......... :-)

Finished Abaddons gate (expanse book III (good trilogy)) 

and have just started

Boneshaker a Steampunk Novel by Cherie Priest

(never read anything of hers, but it won some awards.

So thought Why not give it a go :))

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Reading Nexus by Ramez Naam.

Cyber thriller of the near future.

After that I'll be getting back to some Jack Reacher. :)