Hotmail/outlook

Val (Zebedee)

Not sure if this should be here or the Steam Room but what are they playing at??? Have you seen the Outlook emails page? How old-fashioned, plain, boring and ugly is that? I want to stay on Hotmail, not forced to have the other! Just spent ages putting Grumpy's account back to Hotmail - mine thankfully hasn't made the move.

WOW !!!!

So you're the person still using hotmail. . . lol

Made the swap to Gmail many, many years ago.

Never looked back.

I got an email from hotmail saying I have to move to Skype or something as they're doing away with hotmail now. I opened a gmail account as I don't want Skype.. Sent about 30 pics from my phone using gmail and they permanently disabled my gmail as spam lol

All the old (and new, for that matter) Hotmail accounts are being converted to Outlook.com. You can find information about the changeover on this Micorsoft information site.
If you have an existing Hotmail account it will eventually be migrated over to outlook.com. Yes, Hotmail is going away - but the mail feature will still work for the foreseeable future.
What is going away is the msn messenger. To quote from the NewChinaTimes:

On Nov. 7, Tony Bates, president of Microsoft and CEO of Skype, announced that, excepting the Chinese market, Microsoft will terminate its Messenger service by the first quarter of 2013 and incorporate its 100 million subscribers into Skype.

One major reason is the plunge in subscribers in recent years, as American youth have gradually switched to Facebook and Twitter for instant communications. With a history of 12 years, Messenger still boasted 300 million subscribers in 2010, now having plummeted to 100 million. Skype, which was acquired by Microsoft at US$8.5 billion in May last year, owns 280 million subscribers worldwide.

I use Trillian from Cerulean Studios for my instant messenger and they've been warning us for the past couple of months that we'll have to switch from MSN to Skype (still a Microsoft company). But they're still waiting for the proper dll to make its appearance so they can reconfigure Trillian.

So now that's all clear as mud, eh??? Edited by Al Jones

I don't like Outlook (Or Mac's version of it - 'Mail') - its annoying. I can't understand why my Dad insists on using Outlook - just access your email on their site!

Well, let's see, I have a yahoo account, a Hotmail account, a gmail account, an AOL account and three emails associated with my own domains.  It's a whole lot easier, for me, to have them all collected into Outlook.

'course, it's possibly just an old man thing  .....

All the old (and new, for that matter) Hotmail accounts are being converted to Outlook.com. You can find information about the changeover on this Micorsoft information site.

If you have an existing Hotmail account it will eventually be migrated over to outlook.com. Yes, Hotmail is going away - but the mail feature will still work for the foreseeable future.

What is going away is the msn messenger. To quote from the NewChinaTimes:

I use Trillian from Cerulean Studios for my instant messenger and they've been warning us for the past couple of months that we'll have to switch from MSN to Skype (still a Microsoft company). But they're still waiting for the proper dll to make its appearance so they can reconfigure Trillian.

So now that's all clear as mud, eh???

Wow, they're actually getting rid of MSN Messenger??

And...did I just hear you say 'eh'? Didn't think Texans were capable of saying Canadian colloquialisms...always thought they said things like 'huh' and 'what'. ;)

I have 2 gmail accounts. I have my main one, then I have one that I use for work related stuff only. I have the work one set to forward all its emails I get to my main account, so I still see all the emails. If I have to reply to something from my work email (rarely), then it takes 2 seconds to log out of the main and log into my work gmail. It really isn't that hard!!

But to each their own, I guess.

And, LOL, it may very well be just an 'old man' thing! My Dad's a year younger than you... :P

Edited by SolitaryHowl

When I got my new phone at xmas I tried to set up a few things in it and was told I had to have a gmail account. Not a clue, right over my head. Anyway I thought ok let's persevere and so I followed the links to set it up. After about half an hour of trying I gave up. It told me to pick a user name so I did. Already in use. Again. Already in use, and so it went on. After about a dozen attempts, using user names that I know nobody else could possibly have I had to accept one that they decided they wanted me to have. I then had the same problem with the password and decided that if it was going to be this much trouble I'd carry on as I always had and not bother. The only way I can remember the gmail address is to keep the confirmation email in outlook express, as for the password, not a clue :erm:

Gary..

<snipped>

And...did I just hear you say 'eh'? Didn't think Texans were capable of saying Canadian colloquialisms...always thought they said things like 'huh' and 'what'. ;)

In between coming from the Canadian border area, living in Japan where it's "... ne?" and the Spanish use of "..., no?", it's a natural to end a sentence with something, sometimes. What can I say ....?? 

And, LOL, it may very well be just an 'old man' thing! My Dad's a year younger than you... :P

Then that must make you quite the youngster, no??

In between coming from the Canadian border area, living in Japan where it's "... ne?" and the Spanish use of "..., no?", it's a natural to end a sentence with something, sometimes. What can I say ....?? 

Then that must make you quite the youngster, no??

Huh, really? Well, I knew the Spanish used 'no?', but I didn't know the Japanese used 'ne?'. Interesting. :)

I guess so - though I don't see myself as young...I'm a quarter done my life, assuming I live until I'm 80 (average Canadian lifespan), and I haven't even begun to DO stuff yet!

My hotmail account is still a .com address, it's that old! :rofl:  Wherever I go & get asked for an email address, they assume it's a hotmail.co.uk address. I use Outlook at work but it's nothing like the enforced Outlook that keeps popping up here - but I have found a way to keep reverting back to hotmail - for now! :lolman:

• 4 weeks later...

I have a hotmail account but I just use it for shopping and stuff, my main email is gmail and its way better than hotmail. But I upgraded my hotmail to the new outlook and I actually prefer the look of it because it is similar to the outlook program which i use for work. But I love technology and I love change too lol Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk