Member Tagging

Marc

Hi Guys,

So I know people have been waiting for the ability to be able to tag members on the forum. This has now returned however is slightly different than it was previously.

The main reason for this is that when we had it previously with the "@" symbol to tag people this presented some problems. Firstly you had to know peoples names off the top of your head, secondly you had to remember how to spell it correctly, and thirdly it didnt always work due to the kinda usernames people have and parsing issues. And this is only the ussue part of it from a user point of view. From an admin point of view the more parsing we try to do to correct the issues, the more processing the server has to do just when someone is tagged and slows the forum down. The forum is now working very quickly and I wont go down that road again.

So how does it work? 

If you go to the main editor (not the quick reply) you will see that there is a box named "TagBox" on the right had right. This is how you will now tag a user to alert them to a post should you want to do so. It is done in a comma separated list of usernames of people you want to tag, HOWEVER as you are typing the list of names it will suggest usernames and allow you to click on them ;) Therefore no more typing things incorrectly, missspelling, incorrect tagging etc.

It will show a list of users who have been tagged below the post. I have tagged some people here so you can get the idea of how they show

Awesome, thanks Marc!

(EDIT: err...and the tagging isn't working??)

Will have to gimme a bit more info than that Elyse LOL

Try CTRL+F5 on your browser if its not working at all as it is a javascript edit so if your still picking up the old files then it may not work till the browser cache has refreshed itself.

Okay, cleared the cache. Let's see if it works now...

(By the way, I'm on a Mac, so the CTRL (Apple)-F5 is for something else. :P)

EDIT: Yes, it works! And atleast its smart enough that it won't let you tag yourself.

Edited by SolitaryHowl

I love the auto-fill tag box - so much better than trying to figure out the weird spellings some people use, or trying to find a post someone has made and copying their details. Tagged Marc and myself as a test... EDIT - tagging myself doesn't work :redface1:

Edited by Mollys Dad

I love the auto-fill tag box - so much better than trying to figure out the weird spellings some people use, or trying to find a post someone has made and copying their details. Tagged Marc and myself as a test...

And wont allow you to tag yourself :P