Eye Color

I have been asking around about this, I hope you guys can help me. When I was first getting to know this breed, I thought the standard eye color was blue with occasional bi-eyes, parti-eyes, and brown eyes happening. However, when I started researching Huskies in Japan, I noticed brown eyes are much more common here. I was actually kind of heartbroken, because I am absolutely in love with those blue eyes! It's what first drew me to this breed. I believed I had a strong chance of rescuing a blue eyed Husky naturally, because I thought blue eyes are most common. Now I feel conflicted because I had my heart set on those beautiful blue eyes, but I would never put eye color before temperament and personality. I got this idea in my head that maybe they breed for brown eyes in Japan because they are "more cute" or "less scary" then the blue eyes, but I really don't know. Just the same, I was told people in the USA breed for blue eyes because they are more popular. I was also told brown is actually dominant and normal, which makes sense, it's just what the breeders are breeding for. But again, I really don't know.

I guess the best compromise I can come up with is to be extremely patient and wait for the right rescue Husky with the right temperament and personality, who happens to have blue eyes. I hope that doesn't make me a terrible person, I feel terrible just thinking of the possibly of choosing a dog over another dog over eye color. All Huskies are beautiful no matter what color eyes they have. Is it terrible to be such a sucker for those icy blue eyes? :(

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darwin has almost white eyes.

and Daughtry has one blue and one brown.

To be fair, there are many, many people out there who end up getting huskies just because of their blue eyes and their looks. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting a blue-eyed husky. And I agree, temperament is very important, but hey, most puppies end up being picked just because of such details, like eye or coat colour. Obviously, a brown eyed husky will make just as good a pet as blue eyed one, but if that's what you want, go for it.

If you were to say that it's terrible to choose a dog based on eye colour, then it would be all the same terrible to choose a dog based on breed, especially when it comes to rescues. Why not just go for the first dog in need of being adopted, regardless of breed?

On the other hand, I believe it's unethical for breeders to breed for a certain eye or coat colour and to charge more for certain "desirable" colour - that's just not doing anything good for the breed; blue eyed huskies are not "better" than brown-eyed huskies, so there's no reason to choose to breed for blue eyes other than profit and I hate to see that, I really do.

Mine's got blue eyes with on parti-eye. But to be honest, I didn't really care about eye colour, what struck me about huskies was the way the look in general. So yeah, you could say I ended up with a husky based on their looks. But that wasn't that bad in the end :D

Thank you everyone who is chiming in...i'm so glad i'm not alone being such a sucker for those icy blue eyes

Nikki - Absolutely! If I was getting a puppy, and the puppies eyes turned brown, I wouldn't love him/her any less! If they are meant to be brown then so be it, that is destiny and I would love the Husky with all my heart. I guess because I am planning to rescue a Husky and will be given a choice about eye color because I am planning to adopt an adult/senior...so I do feel bad having my heart set on a blue eyed Husky.

If you were to say that it's terrible to choose a dog based on eye colour, then it would be all the same terrible to choose a dog based on breed, especially when it comes to rescues. Why not just go for the first dog in need of being adopted, regardless of breed?

You have a very good point!

Just wanted to say you're not the only person to fall in love for 'those' eyes.

My girl has ice blue/white eyes and it's the first thing I noticed when I first met her, I couldn't stop smiling I was mesmerized by those icy blues and have been ever since, it's also the first thing anybody comments on about her, we always get, "look at those eyes" lol

Thank you everyone who is chiming in...i'm so glad i'm not alone being such a sucker for those icy blue eyes

Nikki - Absolutely! If I was getting a puppy, and the puppies eyes turned brown, I wouldn't love him/her any less! If they are meant to be brown then so be it, that is destiny and I would love the Husky with all my heart. I guess because I am planning to rescue a Husky and will be given a choice about eye color because I am planning to adopt an adult/senior...so I do feel bad having my heart set on a blue eyed Husky.

I wasn't trying to say anything negative, just wanted to share my story. The blue eyes are simply amazing in my opinion. I'm kind of similar to you... I want to rescue a Husky, but I really want one with wooly fur. So I'm holding out for one.

I chose Kiska completely based on her appearance as a puppy and I don't feel bad for doing so. You'll be doing a fantastic thing by rescuing anyway, don't feel bad for waiting for the perfect dog, even if that's partially based on appearance ;)

I was talking to a breeder searching for a Husky on and off. Suddenly the call came from my friend at the shelter. Sasha was there, one brown eye the other blue/brown. She was absolutely gorgeous, social, and more than I ever imagined. Colors and preferences meant something when I was looking, though once I saw her, all my thoughts went out the window.

iphone153.jpg

My first was blue eyed. And he was the 'blue-eyed love of my life'. Sucked me right in!

I had hoped for another blue-eyed boy, but now have my precious bi-eyed Ryn and I wouldn't change her for the world.

So, no, you're not terrible for falling for those blue eyes, but don't be surprised when you discover that it's the personality of the breed that you truly love!

We chose Maya simply because the breeder knew we were looking for a female and there were 2 females out of the puppies and she brought those into the room we were in and one of the girls went behind the sofa and pee'd on the floor and the other went straight to my OH and almost fell asleep in her arms... After that, there was no choice... Maya did have 2 Ice blue eyes, but as she grew up she has become parti-eyed with 1 ice blue eye and 1 eye being half ice blue and half brown..

With Togo there wasnt really any choice, we were looking for a male puppy and then found Togo who was about to be sent to a shelter as he was not wanted because he didnt look like a husky and it wasnt what the owner wanted when there daughter gave him to them... So there was no choice, my OH came home and announced she had a suprise for me, and there he was.. Brown eyes and still not sure what mix of husky he is, my OH just wanted to give him a forever home.

Thank you everyone!! I feel so much better! You are a wonderful bunch of people! :D

So, no, you're not terrible for falling for those blue eyes, but don't be surprised when you discover that it's the personality of the breed that you truly love!

I wouldn't be against that at all, Becky! If an any-eyed Husky really blew me away and is perfect for me and my family, I wouldn't say no just because he/she doesn't have blue eyes. My heart is too big for that!! hehe. I would love the dog just the same, no question about it. I'll probably always be a sucker for the blue eyed Huskies though...but I can still enjoy them as my refrigerator magnets. :)

We might get two Huskies, but I am trying to keep that as open as possible for now. My husband always said he wanted a Maltese, and I was prepared to take the extra precautions so a Maltese and a Husky could live together (separate crating, supervised playtime, etc). But he said he also likes Huskies, and isn't against only having Huskies. Just in case, I will give him time to think about it and he can decide the 2nd dog. :)

Aw Evyn that's alright who can resist those icy-blue eyes anyways? :wub: Remember tho; if by any chance you brought home a puppy instead of an older dog (lots of puppies in the shelter too!) be prepared to lose those lovely intense blue eyes once he/she grew up. Usually the eye color fade as they grow, and instead of intense blue they'll ended up having a pair of baby blue eyes when they became adults. IMO brown eyes are as lovely as blue eyes, and I'm honestly jealous to hear that most huskies in Japan are brown-eyed O_O never seen a brown-eyed baby in real life due to husky's rarity in my area, but I really wish I could see one x_x

I honestly think I might be the only person on here who doesnt like the bi eyed look... I'll admit it

My bf really hates bi eyed and parti eyed ones, though I think that's mainly because he likes things to be symetrical and one my my family's old dogs was a crazy aussie with bi eyes and he really didn't like her (and I don't blame him! she was crazy! lol). I prefer having either blue or brown and don't totally love the bi eyes. Siku has blue eyes that fit her just fine and Elara has brown. I think they'd look silly if they switched eye color! lol.

My bf really hates bi eyed and parti eyed ones, though I think that's mainly because he likes things to be symetrical and one my my family's old dogs was a crazy aussie with bi eyes and he really didn't like her (and I don't blame him! she was crazy! lol). I prefer having either blue or brown and don't totally love the bi eyes. Siku has blue eyes that fit her just fine and Elara has brown. I think they'd look silly if they switched eye color! lol.

yeah its the symmetry for me as well!! like wearing odd socks I just can't do it LOL