Eye Color

Back to the original question for a moment .......... if you think you may be "shallow" for wanting a specific eye colour in your husky, what about coat? Length? Colour? What about gender? Why male over female or the other way around?

I don't think its shallow, you want what you want and people have different images of what they like, thus the different owners with different colors, markings etc. I have had both male and female and prefer males, though there's nothing in my view wrong with females, I adored mine! :D

When we first were looking for a sibe 7 years ago, I was adamant I DIDN'T want a black one as I did not want the stigma of "Ooh, that dog looks evil" as some black masks can look daunting, no matter how beautiful a nature the dog was! So we ended up with a blue-eyed grey & white girl that stole our hearts.

Thats exactly the color we were interested in the most interestingly enough-see, we all like things different as per the above statement, thats what makes us all interesting that we are all different in what we like :) Maybe the evil look helps them as puppies against larger animals that could harm them?

3 years later, we thought about adding another to the mix. We didn't have an "ideal" second in our heads, just one that Myshka got along with (as she can be a funny mare!!) - never in a million years would I have picked Diesel - a redhead with bi-eyes!! But he picked us. I must admit, it did take me a week or two to get used to one blue eye & one brown eye looking at me, it was a little strange as we had never encountered bi-eyed dogs before. Now I don't even notice them!! Added to that, we have a third husky now, a dark grey who is also bi-eyed but opposite way to Diesel - I never thought about the "Darn, they swapped eyes again" line!! Will have to remember that one for the future!

So, like everything in life, we know what we like & tend to veer towards that. If something comes along to make you have an alternative .... all well and good too ....

See, you're not alone!!!!!!

Awww thanks Val! It feels good not to be alone! Ironically, besides eye color, I am not too bothered about everything else! Girl or boy, black or white, it's all good for me. If I had to decide, I might side with a boy with light grey or wolf-grey/agouti markings and an all-white face. But i'm actually extremely flexible about everything, only thing I have my heart set on are icy blue eyes. :)

I never thought of a black husky as looking "evil" ...I think they are stunning! It's so sad if someone thinks they are evil. The only Husky that I thought might get that comment are the ones with the "mean eyes" facial markings. Those poor puppies, they look angry all the time (example below). :P

184295809721394197_OaxzrgND_f.jpg

my husky has two parti-eyes

I thought it was special enough to have one with one parti-eye, two is definitely not too common but rather a great surprise!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was special enough to have one with one parti-eye, two is definitely not too common but rather a great surprise!!

I truly thought his eyes were going to wind up brown but the blue inside the brown rings has just gotten more blue. It's crazy looking but I'm so glad I have such a special boy. It also surprises me how much their coats change. He was grey and white and now he's getting more black. Huskies are the best!

I think one of the things that initially draws people to huskies is their appearance. They're absolutely stunning dogs. It's only troublesome for me to hear friends or coworkers say they want a "white, blue-eyed husky" if that's all they care about. Someone I know has two huskies that don't get enough exercise, and he complains about how destructive they are, but they wanted huskies because of how they look. Had no idea what the breed really requires in terms of care and commitment.

Lyra has two bright blue eyes, and almost everyone we meet on walks says something along the lines of, "Oh, look at those eyes." I kind of wish they'd comment on how affectionate she is or how well-behaved... We thought our new pup, Cinna, would have two blue, but she actually has one green and one parti that's green/blue. I won't lie, it's pretty neat, but when it comes down to it eye color isn't important to me. Our dogs are loving, silly, made for the snow, and all-around awesome, which is what matters most to us - brown or blue-eyed. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers! - Bing,Blaze & Skyla!...me2, she looks like a little polar bear atm, lol! :) I dont see as many either? where I live anyway...

My skyla was a little polar bear too , nah I've not seen many either she's the only white around my area that I know ov I just know them on here lol

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

when we went to pick daughtry all we knew was that we didnt want a white dog as we had just lost a white gsd :(

we werent fussed at all as to what colour eyes she had....

so we have dudes who is bi- eyed

then we got darwin who has ice blue eyes

and recently got malaki who is a huskamute and is bi-eyed

Kenna is bi-parti eyed-

post-6615-13586064732316_thumb.jpg

Enya has green eyes that I expect will go brown/amber as she ages

post-6615-13586064733069_thumb.jpg

Denali has dark brown eyes

post-6615-13586064733534_thumb.jpg

These dogs I didn't chose based on color or eye color but more based on their lineages, health proven, great temperaments, but my first two were definitely more of a 'cute puppy with blue eyes' pick that I don't regret either :D

I honestly think I might be the only person on here who doesnt like the bi eyed look... I'll admit it

I am with you there my OH fell in love with the breed and ice blue eyes, but I always thought they looked creepy and the bi eyed look really gives me the creeps.

When we went to the shelter Thistle came bounding up to us and we fell in love with her instantly. It wasn't until we went to see her the second time that I really noticed what colour eyes she had. It didn't matter before she had already stolen my heart and was coming home with us..... They are beautiful brown (luckily) :D

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2