Husky damage.....

Sarah

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!! SO far Kremlin hasn't destroyed anything (probably because he doesn't have what, since he is not allowed into the rooms unsupervised). But you got to give him credit for not chewing the doors and the closets in the hallway. He did attempt to chew the telephone plug in the hallway once and knocked down my lamp when he was 2 months and broke it. That's about all the damage he caused.

Well when Alaska was 7 weeks i would leave her in my room ON THE FLOOR, just to go to the loo and only be 2 mins, come back, shes got her cheeky butt on my bed, paws on my pillow, she successfully shredded:

1 phone charger

1 set of i-pod headphones

1 sock

1 set of phone headphones

1 i-pod seriously dented with small baby teeth marks on it:)

I would get this face tho'

[ATTACH]2331.IPB[/ATTACH]

she stopped chewing at 4 months without any anti-spray:) Cant say the same for mr Balto:rolleyes:

post-126-13585943649178_thumb.jpg

Will post some pics...

Shiloh is the process of eating our leather sofa's. One day she just started on them. Before that she would eat the wife's magazines and any books we hadn't put out of reach.

She doesn't just rip the leather, she actually eats it so you can imagine what her poo's look like - leather poo!!!

We have no idea why she does it. She gets a long walk in the morning or a run with my wife or a ride with the bike from me.

We have a dog walker that comes in around 3-4 hours after we have left who walks her for 30 - 45 minutes and then we're home around 3-4 hours after that. She gets so much exercise for a 15 month old pup!!

We play with her at home and also teach obedience all the time. She is really good at obedience just not the being left alone.

I'll have to put a list together of what she has destroyed since having her... could be here for a while!

Do you crate her while you're out?

i have an update on the kitchen floor...will take pictures tonight to show you!

Oh that doesnt sound good lol

Diidn't know you were gonna call him Kiefer, why'd you change your mind?

Yeah that was going to be his name but Marc had a strop and wouldn't let me call him that lol

my house is upside down and my garden is destroyed...god know what it will be like when the dogs arrive....rofl

if its detroyed now its going to go one of 2 ways!

1 it will look much better and tidy when you get your sibe/s as anything thats ripped or partially destoryed will be finished off

or

2 it will look more like a bombsite than a home as your sob/e will find more stull to destroy

When my 3 come over, I would say it will look like a bombsite, especially the garden, they like to dig lol but they dont find one place to dig they will start in one place then find somewhere else and dog, and so on and so on and then the garden just gets full of small husky holes (about big enough to fit a sibe puppy in ;) trust me I know)

Do you crate her while you're out?

Hi, no we don't crate her. When we bought her home she came with a crate but didn't go anywhere near it and before we knew it she'd grown out of it.

I want to try and crate her but my wife doesn't like the idea.

She's exercised well before we leave in the morning and we leave her with a stuffed kong. She works her way through the kong and then starts on the sofa's. I'm guessing this is separation anxiety.

By the time one of us gets home at the end of the day she is usually fast asleep when we walk through the door.

We dont have a camcorder so cannot film the destruction takang place. Although I dont think it lasts long or there would be more damage.

I really dont want to go down the medication route either but it would have to be a last resort if need be.

Cant reccomend crating enough - we never used to crate Isis, but after lots of minor damage we decided it best too, rather than let things get worse! Isis soon got used to the idea, and will now freely enter it throughout that day as its her palce to chill out whether we are in or out!

I can't recommend crating enough! We crated Myshka from 10 weeks old when we got her, we had 2 or 3 nights of whining but I think that was more being separated from her siblings & mum. Soon she realised this was her safe place, for peace & quiet from the pesky humans, for food & drink & sleep.

We ( & by that, I mean STEVE!) has gone to bed & left the crate door open & she's still in there in the morning, but not sure how she'd be through the day if left out, though at 3 1/2, she should be over all that!!

Hi, no we don't crate her. When we bought her home she came with a crate but didn't go anywhere near it and before we knew it she'd grown out of it.

She's exercised well before we leave in the morning and we leave her with a stuffed kong. She works her way through the kong and then starts on the sofa's. I'm guessing this is separation anxiety.

By the time one of us gets home at the end of the day she is usually fast asleep when we walk through the door.

We dont have a camcorder so cannot film the destruction takang place. Although I dont think it lasts long or there would be more damage.

I really dont want to go down the medication route either but it would have to be a last resort if need be.

My boys are crated while we're at work - they get excersised in the morning and i just say BED boys and they trot in lol at night when they get tired, kaiser always goes and gets in on his own and falls asleep - kimba goes outside and sprawls on the patio lol

Really would try crating, start off with it in the room with lots of toys and treats in always leave the door open and never use it as punishment. She will cry a bit at first but i promise she will soon be going in their off her own accord - it's like a den / safe space for them.

How long is she left on her own for?

Bit of a tangent here but I've heard having them spayed can calm them down - is this true or does this only really count for dogs and not bitches?

Spaying her may help but then again it may not. There is no guarantee that spaying will do the trick.

Spaying or Castrating only really take the sexual desires away (and with bitches it will also stop the seasons) as this is all it removes, the reproductive organs. So if her destructive behaviour is due to a sexual 'need' then yes having her spayed will probably be the answer but if it isnt then spaying probably wont to the trick.

Most of the time destructive behaviour is mostly boredom not the fact that she wants a mate/to mate.

Have you tried brain teasing toys? You can buy toys for dogs which are specially designed to help keep the dogs mind active and so may reduce the destructive behaviour, but again there will be no guarantee it will work as we all know just how intelligent sibes are :)

Like everyone else has said, crating her would be the only guarantee of you coming home to un-destroyed house.

If you don't want to crate her, you could get baby gates to block her access to the sofa room.

Or you could take a couple of days off and leave home, but watch from the window. The moment she starts on the sofa, you can catch her in the act and tell her no. Then leave again and surprise her in the process of chewing the sofa. That's what somebody on another forum said he'd done to stop the destructiveness of his dog.

My boys are crated while we're at work - they get excersised in the morning and i just say BED boys and they trot in lol at night when they get tired, kaiser always goes and gets in on his own and falls asleep - kimba goes outside and sprawls on the patio lol

Really would try crating, start off with it in the room with lots of toys and treats in always leave the door open and never use it as punishment. She will cry a bit at first but i promise she will soon be going in their off her own accord - it's like a den / safe space for them.

How long is she left on her own for?

She's left alone for about 6 hours in all. This is broken up by the dog walker for around an hour - so three hours either side of the dog walker.

She's left alone for about 6 hours in all. This is broken up by the dog walker for around an hour - so three hours either side of the dog walker.

That's the same with my boys although marc comes home at dinner so they can have a run about and a play.

Well my to own the garden but i got fedup of them digging it up, so we built a wall right up the side filled with dirt and its great, they do all their digging in there it's fab they have their own patch they can dig all they want.

I gotta admit they love it better after its been raining lol

100_5932_1024x768_.JPG

100_5934_1024x768_.JPG

100_5935_1024x768_.JPG

100_5936_1024x768_.JPG

Well my to own the garden but i got fedup of them digging it up, so we built a wall right up the side filled with dirt and its great, they do all their digging in there it's fab they have their own patch they can dig all they want.

I gotta admit they love it better after its been raining lol

100_5932_1024x768_.JPG

100_5934_1024x768_.JPG

100_5935_1024x768_.JPG

100_5936_1024x768_.JPG

Great Idea Linda!!! (added to Rep) :D could do a dirt pit or a sand pit..........