letting your husky off the lead

tommyboi36

I dont want to ever let my dog offlead unless he is in a fenced park or we are out in the middle of nowhere. Marius plays fine on his long lead with other dogs he could be offlead becasue he does have recall BUT I dont want to ever take that chance becasue it is a trait of the breed that makes it not a good idea to have them offlead. Your not the first person ever to train a husky off lead and you wont be the last Im just saying its not a good idea and you shouldnt be telling other people to do it :P I couldnt make out the last bit of what you said so I cant really respond to it

i dunno were you live or the person with the mountaion lions but im from england we dont have them and the parks we have are fenced and surce places to walk a dog

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We used to let Myshka have off lead fun as a pup on the miles of fields at the back of our house - that was long before this forum came about. We learnt the hard way ... at around 1yr 6 months - the age yours is now - she developed selective hearing ... the field mice & voles & birds & fox trails were MUCH more inviting than us recalling her. Lucky for us, we were on farmers fields away from traffic / people etc but there was so much to distract her, I daren't think about if we were in a built up area.

Myshka is 6 yrs old now. I know we still have her because we joined a forum of knowledgeable people who gave me advice, I dread to think what could have been if we hadn't listened. Don't get me wrong, she has off lead fun & plenty of it - in a specifically designed, secure dog park where she can run to her hearts content & be as deaf as she likes to my recall, a husky "thing"! She now shares that with an older "brother" Diesel, who at 8.5 yrs old, DOES get to walk off lead in woodland, he sticks to the path & is too old to run far!! But that is only after about an hour's walk & he has slowed down. She is now also sharing it with our foster boy, 10 months old - no way on this EARTH is he going off lead ANYWHERE but the dog park, it is just not worth the risk. That dog is a life I am responsible for & I will do everything in my power to protect it from harm.

There is a longtime member on here who had 2 huskies, walked off lead, recall was great, we shared many wonderful photos with him here - till one day, one of his girls saw another dog over the road, jumped out of the car & was killed.

You may have faith in what you are doing, but please do not advise it is safe or OK to do & to "try it" ("trying it" in the home environment is totally different to the outside world with it's vast array of sights, sounds & smells you don't get at home) - all I ask is you listen to the advice being given, years of experience with this wonderful breed and PLEASE keep your full attention on your husky if you intend to continue with off lead walking :)

i dunno were you live or the person with the mountaion lions but im from england we dont have them and the parks we have are fenced and surce places to walk a dog

Im from Canada ^.^ most of our dog parks are fenced theres a beach one thats not tho and its beside a busy road...I hope they fence it this summer. Mostly everyone else on this forum is from England tho

zorra has here moments to, sometimes she stays with me and runs around me like a mad-one, and sometimes she takes of and go's hunting, she returns to me everytime where she took off. BUT i only onlead here on the beache, i can see for miles and there are no roads within 2 miles, only the parking spot, and this time of year, i am usealy the only one there haha

so all the parks around you have 6ft + fencing.. wow i wanna live in your town co's my council wouldn't pay for that ..

can i ask how many years experience have you with Huskies ???? to be so experienced..

it's not just about experience, it's about common sense.......there's a reason EVERY husky breed welfare advise against it and a reason 99% of husky owners advise against it - as do ALL the books on owning a husky....because each time you let them off you endanger their lives

ill b 100% honest here - like i said in my other post i DO have a husky i can and have let offlead however after reading all the stories i have about how it only takes 1 second for something else to get their attention i wont risk it anymore - my girl means FAR to much to me to risk her life n i would NEVER forgive myself if something happened to her

the vid below is the first and LAST time i let her offlead - doesnt matter how well behaved they are - that prey drive is a much stronger desire and means alot more to her then mine and Skyla's bond does

cVW6K30pbg4

And good part at the end

"Please remember to honour the breed and ALL its traits. Siberian Huskies are born hunters who WILL kill. It is this hunting drive which was harnessed by our ancestors and what makes the breed what it is today. It wouldn't have mattered if it was a road the other side of the hedge, as once they are in hunting mode, the result would have been the same, and they have no road sense either.

So please, don't be ignorant about the breed, know and understand it. But even more importantly IMHO, please don't be so arrogant as to believe that you can change your dog, because if it is a Siberian Husky it cannot and will not change for anyone! And why should it!

Don't listen to people who comment that your dog is on a lead and therefore MUST BE badly trained. In actual fact you are probably the better owner, because not only do you understand more about your dog than they do, but you are actually walking WITH your dog rather than just letting it run riot!"

i can say somethin i no he has road sence! i cant diagree with all this stuf ur geting off the internet cos its written by profesinals and people who have probley had years off experince on me all i can say is how i feel and what i think my dog can do and hope people can be as lucky i new these post were goin to come but i love to see my dog running free playing with dogs and coming back to me and i hope and ray he will do that for the rest off his life ,i wouldnt let him off if i wasnt confident i hav walked him on the lead for months to prove my points to him and i let him no wen he has done wrong i am not irrisponsible and i care and love my dog just as much as any outher owner on here so dont make out like i dont just because i let him off his lead

i can say somethin i no he has road sence! i cant diagree with all this stuf ur geting off the internet cos its written by profesinals and people who have probley had years off experince on me all i can say is how i feel and what i think my dog can do and hope people can be as lucky i new these post were goin to come but i love to see my dog running free playing with dogs and coming back to me and i hope and ray he will do that for the rest off his life ,i wouldnt let him off if i wasnt confident i hav walked him on the lead for months to prove my points to him and i let him no wen he has done wrong i am not irrisponsible and i care and love my dog just as much as any outher owner on here so dont make out like i dont just because i let him off his lead

I see there is no convincing you even with genetic traits which are scientifically sound. Please be careful with your dog! its is a husky I know its great to see them run free and thats why I let my dog do it in a fenced area ONLY I like seeing my dog alive more then seeing him offlead in an unsecure area

Luna is allowed offlead on a semi regular basis but we've had a couple of close calls that have made me reduce the areas where I'll let her off. Luna's so desperate to say hello to people (& see if they have dogs to play with) that she'd run across a main road & not even see the traffic!!

She's run after deer, foxes, pheasants....we're just unbelievably lucky that she's terrified of losing us & comes back if she goes too far!

.i can say somethin i no he has road sence.... no dog has road sense..

i cant diagree with all this stuf ur geting off the internet cos its written by profesinals and people who have probley had years off experince on me doesn't that tell you something ??

all i can say is how i feel and what i think my dog can do .... do i need say more...you think.you cant know for certain.

walked him on the lead for months to prove my points to him ..... yeh and he will prove a point to you..like a dog does not understand you proving a point..if a husky had hands it would shove 2 fingers firmly in the air to you trying to prove a point.

I must admit i have let Shadow off when he was a pup through the fields (but that was mainly my ex's doing saying he would be fine) Shadow was and stil lis very food orientated. I let him off the other day but i must admit i keep thinking about it and have realised to myself even though he did come back he does have very selective hearing and very high prey drive and i wont do it again now that i have thought about it but i also cannot walk with other people if their dogs are offlead as shadow runs like mental and my arm would be ripped out of socket so from not on i have decided i want to only let him off in secure areas (ie dog parks) and will only go on walks if the other dogs are also on the lead (not sure if that sounds harsh or not :S)

i am not irrisponsible and i care and love my dog just as much as any outher owner on here so dont make out like i dont just because i let him off his lead

Nobody is saying you don't love your dog, I think some of the things you have posted show how much you care, but I would ask you to have a think why so many people have the opinion of keeping a husky on lead ... a girl I know has 3 huskies - all were off lead, gradually, they proved the husky trait & one by one, they all went on lead until they reached a secure area.

All we're asking is you that you take on board what we're saying. No-one is, or should be, talking down to you or accusing you of not loving your dog, we just want you to heed our advice

I will not make out that you dont love and look after your husky, however I will say you seem not to listen and read far to much what you want to read. You will not have your mind changed and thats fair enough its your choice. What I will say is advising owners of a breed to let them off when it is recommended by 99.99% of people who know anything about the breed even when they have been trained recall (which everyone should train anyway incase they get off) is highly irresponsible.

Therefore from my own point of view I have no problem with you choosing to do it with your own, what I have a problem with is your recommendation for others to do the same. There are people who have had, trained, and agreed with your theory above and done so for more years than you have been alive. And been proven so horribly wrong at the cost of an animals life, or to never see them again.

And for the record, I was one who let ours off the lead with 100% recall for over 12 month. They both 'decided' they would not come back one day. It will never happen again.

While I don't think this thread should turn into another on lead/ off lead argument and while I do fully respect that an owner knows his/her dog better than anyone I will quietly beg you, as a driver, to always have your dog on lead beside a road. No matter the breed, whenever I have to drive past an off lead dog with its owner my heart is in my throat and my focus is on that dog, my nerves are up and my attention is now split. When you are walking beside or across a road, what is the point in having the dog off lead.

And strangely, I was actually thinking today (whilst my incredibly joyful husky was sprinting full pelt around a field with no concern for the 100 foot lead attached to him) why I will never let my teeko off lead. We did when he was much younger then we noticed his attention waver. Today he was on the other side of a small stream and panicked when he couldn't work out how to get back to me. My reason.... Teeko doesn't want to lose us, he does genuinely love his pack, and if he happened to follow something, run too far, too fast and lose sight of us....he would be terrified. And that is not something I ever want my gorgeous boy to feel.

You know your dog better than we do but.....and don't take this the wrong way...you are still only 19 years old. Some of the people here who are pleading with you not to tell new husky owners to let their husky off lead have had this breed for longer than you have been alive. Please respect their opinions and don't try to dismiss them. The trouble with new owners looking into the breed is that they will hear what they want to hear....and the consequences could potentially be disastrous.

I admire your dedication to training and your dedication to your dog...especially for someone so young...but will again beg you, as a driver, to put your dog on the lead near roads. It isnt just your dogs life that is at risk!

.i can say somethin i no he has road sence.... no dog has road sense..

i cant diagree with all this stuf ur geting off the internet cos its written by profesinals and people who have probley had years off experince on me doesn't that tell you something ??

all i can say is how i feel and what i think my dog can do .... do i need say more...you think.you cant know for certain.

walked him on the lead for months to prove my points to him ..... yeh and he will prove a point to you..like a dog does not understand you proving a point..if a husky had hands it would shove 2 fingers firmly in the air to you trying to prove a point.

he has road sence u cant say he dosnt i can say he has because i hav seen it and what do you no for cerntain it says in them articals about huskys slipp there lead i no many dogs who hav bittin threw leads whats stoppin ur dod 100 foot away slippin or bitting its lead and runnin off then he would love it even seting him self free.

yeh and he will prove a point to you..like a dog does not understand you proving a point..if a husky had hands it would shove 2 fingers firmly in the air to you trying to prove a point... i belive in "bein the alpha" alot if he trys to prove a point i am the alpha and he never proves a point i can stop him doin anythin in a second in the house i can make him sit lay get up leave the treat get the treat take the treat out my hand wait to take it with out sayin a word he nos im alpha

OK, nice posts out of the way - your tone is going down hill & showing some immaturity ... you admit your dog is 19 months - still a pup & listening .... you're obviously not going to listen to anything members have to advise you on, you know best & it makes me wonder why you have posted this thread ... good luck to you & your pup, I can only pray he lives to see the next 19 months :(

he has road sence u cant say he dosnt i can say he has because i hav seen it and what do you no for cerntain it says in them articals about huskys slipp there lead i no many dogs who hav bittin threw leads whats stoppin ur dod 100 foot away slippin or bitting its lead and runnin off then he would love it even seting him self free.

Because it takes a level of understanding, and he's a dog.

prove a point... i belive in "bein the alpha" alot if he trys to prove a point i am the alpha and he never proves a point i can stop him doin anythin in a second in the house i can make him sit lay get up leave the treat get the treat take the treat out my hand wait to take it with out sayin a word he nos im alpha

Good luck with that one when off leesh.

yeh and he will prove a point to you..like a dog does not understand you proving a point..if a husky had hands it would shove 2 fingers firmly in the air to you trying to prove a point... i belive in "bein the alpha" alot if he trys to prove a point i am the alpha and he never proves a point i can stop him doin anythin in a second in the house i can make him sit lay get up leave the treat get the treat take the treat out my hand wait to take it with out sayin a word he nos im alpha

i can do that with my girl to with regards to the treat but doesnt mean she will listen to me if she spots a pidgeon

i also agree no dog has road sense either - if i walk mine i can tell skyla on a flexi ahead of me to wait when she gets to the curb - n she will and with blaze if i stop at a curb he will sit without me asking him too - doesnt mean they will stop if they are offlead and have spotted something to chase - i know this all to well with blaze who escaped n shot off across the road - despite sitting down at curbs on walks - and he ran across the road just as a car went past - luckily the car went past n he ran behind it - a few seconds earlier he would have been under the front wheels - ive NEVER been so scared in my life

with regards to - 100ft leads - most dogs are having too much fun running around (safely) to think about chewing it however u should always be watching and monitoring ur dog on walks no matter what lenth lead is used .

Well the 100ft lead is usually attached to the owner and the owner should be watching the dog ( if not they might get flung by the dog :P) and it takes time to bite through a lead so Im thinking the owner would notice it. We are the Alphas with our dog...but these are huskies they are not like other dogs when it comes to that. again I couldnt make out the rest of what you said so I cant say much more then that. But what Marc said says it all