letting your husky off the lead

tommyboi36

he has road sence u cant say he dosnt i can say he has because i hav seen it and what do you no for cerntain it says in them articals about huskys slipp there lead i no many dogs who hav bittin threw leads whats stoppin ur dod 100 foot away slippin or bitting its lead and runnin off then he would love it even seting him self free.

yeh and he will prove a point to you..like a dog does not understand you proving a point..if a husky had hands it would shove 2 fingers firmly in the air to you trying to prove a point... i belive in "bein the alpha" alot if he trys to prove a point i am the alpha and he never proves a point i can stop him doin anythin in a second in the house i can make him sit lay get up leave the treat get the treat take the treat out my hand wait to take it with out sayin a word he nos im alpha

You've got to stop thinking of the breed of a husky as a regular domestic dog. They are not like a Labrador or a spaniel, who live to please, they are incredibly strong willed & no matter if "you're the alpha" or not, if your boy sees something he wants to chase he WILL chase it. The prey drive in Huskies is so strong they become deaf to everything else & it is not something you can entirely train out of them. Ever.

Now I can't bitch about you letting him off because I do let Luna off but ANY time she's offlead we are constantly looking around & the moment we spot anyone or anything that might take her interest we immediately put her back on the lead.

Please don't put all your barriers up because you've received a lot of negative responses, just recognize that people who love the breed & have a range of experience are trying to make you fully aware of the risks involved & try to make you a bit more cautious.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

tommyboi36 - You have actually proven my point. You skim read for the things you wanted and skipped the rest. So I will say it again. it is HIGHLY irresponsible to recommend this to others. What you choose to do with your own dog is your own business. However recommending it to others is the point is wrong to the extent I actually nearly removed the topic entirely. Your husky getting killed due to your actions is sad to say the least, however the statements you are making may mean someone elses husky gets killed because of your advice. I hope that will make you feel your point is valid.

he has road sence u cant say he dosnt i can say he has because i hav seen it and what do you no for cerntain it says in them articals about huskys slipp there lead i no many dogs who hav bittin threw leads whats stoppin ur dod 100 foot away slippin or bitting its lead and runnin off then he would love it even seting him self free.

yeh and he will prove a point to you..like a dog does not understand you proving a point..if a husky had hands it would shove 2 fingers firmly in the air to you trying to prove a point... i belive in "bein the alpha" alot if he trys to prove a point i am the alpha and he never proves a point i can stop him doin anythin in a second in the house i can make him sit lay get up leave the treat get the treat take the treat out my hand wait to take it with out sayin a word he nos im alpha

no dog has proper road sense.. not a husky, collie, lad, GSD ..no dogs..

yeh i can get my girls to do what i want..mine a very well trained .and its taken more than a few months or even a year to acheive..as any one that knows my girls and what i do with them will tell you. they are better behaved than a lot of Huskies. and i am pack leader / alpha as you put it.. but if they really dont wanna listen then they won't. yeh sure they can bite thru a lead but a lead gives you that time to be able to respond.... and deal with..

so your dog can do all the neat tricks with treats.. so can mine.. mine are whistle & hand gesture trained including recall. mine touch for treat. one does "high 5's" for treats. mine sit at bottom of stairs at bedtime and will wait till i call. mine don't move from my side of the bed at night..mine nudge me once my alarm has gone off.. the list is long of what my dogs can do..

but i would be a fool to think i rule them .. and a bigger fool to think they will 100% of the time recall to me. mine know im Alpha as you put it.. and i know i have my dogs ultimate love and respect as that.. ..

sorry but IMO you inexperience and arrogance is showing...

i can do that with my girl to with regards to the treat but doesnt mean she will listen to me if she spots a pidgeon

i also agree no dog has road sense either - if i walk mine i can tell skyla on a flexi ahead of me to wait when she gets to the curb - n she will and with blaze if i stop at a curb he will sit without me asking him too - doesnt mean they will stop if they are offlead and have spotted something to chase - i know this all to well with blaze who escaped n shot off across the road - despite sitting down at curbs on walks - and he ran across the road just as a car went past - luckily the car went past n he ran behind it - a few seconds earlier he would have been under the front wheels - ive NEVER been so scared in my life

with regards to - 100ft leads - most dogs are having too much fun running around (safely) to think about chewing it however u should always be watching and monitoring ur dog on walks no matter what lenth lead is used .

how do you think i no my dog done the same ended up goin to a park near by walkin and runing alond the path and looking when he crossed if it was a person runnin away he would off took the same route he didnt cross when he didnt have to and when he did he cross he made sure nothin was comeing, id never been so scared ether but i was amazed how he was and to let you no he wasent off the lead for along long time after that

What you choose to do with your own dog is your own business. However recommending it to others is the point is wrong to the extent I actually nearly removed the topic entirely. Your husky getting killed due to your actions is sad to say the least, however the statements you are making may mean someone elses husky gets killed because of your advice. I hope that will make you feel your point is valid.

Got to admit...was kinda hoping you'd do this anyway (hope that doesn't make me a bad person! ) :-S

how do you think i no my dog done the same ended up goin to a park near by walkin and runing alond the path and looking when he crossed if it was a person runnin away he would off took the same route he didnt cross when he didnt have to and when he did he cross he made sure nothin was comeing, id never been so scared ether but i was amazed how he was and to let you no he wasent off the lead for along long time after that

ur dog looked left , right then left again? -

Assuming you mean remove?

Yeps. I have such a fear that new owners will only hear what they want to hear (have fought with the OH alot when teeks was younger because he at one place or another he read that this could be done...that could be done...etc etc blah blah).

Still...thats probably classed as taking freedom of speech or some pants...hence the 'am I a bad person? comment.... :-o

I'm going to close this - it's not going anywhere and is only going to end up in arguments so whilst everyone is still in one piece

addon.php?1,module=embed_images,url=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv330%2Fsetiweb%2Fthread_closed.gif

although i'm not removing the thread as if it stops just ONE person from letting their husky off lead - this might just save at least one life :(