Forum design underway

Marc

Thought since I had not been posting on here for a while I would give you a bit of an update on where I have been :) The updated version of our current forum software has now been released into beta (test) stages to its customers (us) and so I now have this up and running in a test environment. I am currently working on the skin for the new software (dont worry no massive change like before, everything will work in the same way).

I have been reworking the skin from scratch in order to further speed up the load time of all pages on the site. This is including removing some of the larger gradient images from the backgrounds, replacing them with block color and complementing them instead with nicer gradient headers for each section of the forum in order to not loose the 'nicety' of our current design.

Overall I am trying not to change the look of the forum too much as at the end of the day this is the place we all know and love. I'm simply trying to speed the place up, whilst skinning the new areas of the forum that have never existed before.

So onto them changes and what you have to look forward to.

• Status Replies - Well one of the coolest new features of the new software that I'm sure will be warmly welcomed is the ability to post comments to peoples statuses on the forum. In addition to this you will be able to view all statuses from a single page should you wish to do so.
  • New Facebook integration - The update will contain a more featured facebook intgration with more features for you to play with including the ability to update your about me section with information from facebook, share statuses, profile pictures, links, posts and more.
  • Twitter Integration - Natural progression from having the integration with facebook I guess would be the ability to integrate with your twitter account. This too will be a feature of the new software allowing you to post updates to your status directly from your tweets and vice versa.
  • Topic Preview - A new topic preview feature will be available that is a little more friendly to the slower pc users.
  • Profile Customisation - You will be able to customise your own profile pages to give them a more personal touch
  • Notification system - Just as you currently recieve notification of new pms, you will also be able to recieve notifications from many other areas of the forum such as when someone quotes a post of yours, when someone posts in your profile etc etc all configurable to your liking from your user settings.
  • Search engine improvements - The search facility in the forum has had a complete overhall, meaning you will be able to find things much more easily in just about any area of the forum, gallery, profiles, blogs and more.
  • Blog it - You will be able to blog directly from a post. If you have just done a post, or infact someone else has that you want to blog about. Just click to blog it.
  • New chatroom - You will notice a new chatroom that is more fully integrated with the forum and will solve many problems with access that users have experienced in the past.

On top of the above, there will also be a fully mobile skin being added to the forum that will be activated automatically when the forum detects a mobile device.

ON THE MOBILE FRONT HOWEVER - I have just added us to the tapatalk network. tapatalk is a purchasable app for the iphone, blackberry, nokia & android based mobile phones that will enable the forum to work on your phone like a full application. Obviously meaning rapid browse speed from your mobile and full integration with the way you type on your mobile normally etc. I added it to my phone the other day and gotta say Im pretty impressed. The app can be found in the iphone app store, android shop or at www.tapatalk.com for other devices and is $2.99 (uk users it was £1.79 in the iphone appstore when I got it the other day) .... Appologies for the charge for this, however it is not our software I simply added us to the network so that this facility is availble if people want to use it. Other than that I have no control over the software itself or how it is bought etc.

So .... Now ya know where I've been LOL

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Marc, you are amazing. This forum just keeps improving, getting better all the time.

I wasn't here for the last big change but last update i was told couldn't be on for 20 mins i needed therapy lol

When will all this take place though i know its in test stages an are you after any more testers if so i have some free time i will boycot sleep lol.

Any ideas when it will be up an running roughly

Yay i can look for new way to harass i mean intergrate with other members biggrin.gif

Great job Marc

My phone detected the need for tapatalk a couple of days ago so I installed it then. . Ready whenever you are. . lol

Bring it onbiggrin.gif

Just as i start getting use to the current forum it all gets changed again......angry.gif

I only managed the other week to finally get this place working on my Mob! i now have to download something that might not be available to my phone....sad.gif

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do work hard for this site tho Marc and all changes are for the better, so hats off to you for all the hard work......cool.gif

lol installed tapatalk a few days ago and thought that it was a browser enhancer. NO!! It is a seperate app lol

what a dumbass!!

Been using it this morning. . .much better.

AND. . . It's free on the Nokia OVI store. . .wheeeeeee

lol installed tapatalk a few days ago and thought that it was a browser enhancer. NO!! It is a seperate app lol

what a dumbass!!

Been using it this morning. . .much better.

AND. . . It's free on the Nokia OVI store. . .wheeeeeee

It is free on my iPhone as well shhhhhhh :)

Finally found it for the blackberry jst had a look seem 2 work fine wil we b about 2 respond 2 post cos can only view at mo

Well done marc keep up the gd work an

ps check out pics of sarah when she was younger in the gallery LOL

are you logged in. . .if not that may be why you can't post

The ones of you that have found tapatalk to be free are likely using the free version which is read only. And for those who cannot use tapatalk don't worry the forum is still available to mobiles and will soon include a mobile skin for faster browsing.

And tony. Ya won't need to learn everything again m8 as it's additions not a change in software like the last time don't worry lol.

Unsure at the moment when the changes will take place as I have no control over the final release and won't be moving us over until it is confirmed as a stable version. The last thing I want is it causing issues. I want a smooth update

Marc do you have enough server space and bandwidth to set up the new skins etc and some of us can beta test the crap out of it to iron out the bugs??