Stupid Groomer shaved my dog :(

I have a groomer who regularly grooms my husky. They just shaved him down to the skin. I am literally crying because I am so sad. I don't know what to do. What can I do? Will his hair ever grow back or is his hair going to be forever destroyed.

I am so depressed.

Any recommendations? I'm so scared his hair won't grow back correctly. It's 120 degrees out here.

well it should grow back slowly, but it might never be the same again...:(...do hope that you are holding the groomer responsible...

not sure about sun lotion...

Why did they shave him   -  was he badly matted?    The only excuse (for me) would be that he was so badly matted that the skin was tearing.

As others have said keep him out of direct sun  -  and even possibly make him a lightweight  (cotton) 'coat' to shade/cover him when he is out in the sun.   Many people put sunscreen on their dogs noses.   http://www.epi-pet.com/sunscreen.aspx   

I would consider suing.

• Like 1

I am shocked that the groomer did such a thing to a double coated dog!

It will take a long time to grow back and possibly may not be the same as before, they should have known better!

He will be more prone to heatstroke now, so like the others have said avoid direct sunlight as much as possible. I too am not 100% about sunscreen.

Sent via the power of rubbish tapatalk

I would check the Qualifications of the groomer a Real groomer would not do it in fact they would even try to talk some one who wanted a husky  clipped out of doing it.

Phone Vet ask them if they can recommend a sun screen that is non harmful to dogs or you could see if som one with a sewing machine could make you a light cloth blanket with a collar that comes up the neck, using tie straps or better Velcro

I would also as said seek legal addvice, as if you show your dog etc this could damage his coat for a long time and you can sue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulG said:

I would check the Qualifications of the groomer a Real groomer would not do it in fact they would even try to talk some one who wanted a husky  clipped out of doing it.

Phone Vet ask them if they can recommend a sun screen that is non harmful to dogs or you could see if som one with a sewing machine could make you a light cloth blanket with a collar that comes up the neck, using tie straps or better Velcro

I would also as said seek legal addvice, as if you show your dog etc this could damage his coat for a long time and you can sue

All local groomers here shave Huskies and even recommend it... They would shave anything to make money, but I'm sure some sort of 'permission' must be given by the owner if he only wants the dog groomed and they want to shave it all off??? I mean it's like going to the hairdresser to have a trim and they shave you bold!

I would be so mad if a groomer did that to one of my dogs!  Was it a chain store or a local groomer?  Either way, I would complain to the owner/manager and write a review on yelp! or something like that.  At least they should refund your money. 

On 6/19/2016 at 11:45 AM, jmscott said:

There are a lot of "Expert" groomers who I've discovered pride themselves on their willingness to shave anything that walks in their door. 

Gets really awkward when they try to shave me.

As others have said you should be really careful about outside time until the coat comes back. 

• Like 2

• 7 years later...

I just had a very similar experience.

we took our Husky to a chain store groomer. He was in pretty bad shape. 
They worked on him two different times,

When they weren’t able to finish him on the second trip, we decided to try a different grooming service. My wife explained to them he was needing a lot more work around his rear and back area of his legs and tail. They called her and told her they would need to shave an area that he was too matted. She agreed. 
  When she went to pick him up they had shaved his entire body!3/4 of him was beautiful from his Pryor two grooming.

Upon confronting the shop owner, she claimed it was necessary. Ugh. She ended up giving my wife a refund, but that’s little comfort. I would pay 10 times the amount to reverse the damage. Unfortunately that’s not possible.