Gonna Cry Now!

Austinville

OH just purchased a new all-in-one Dell computer with Windows 8. He is an auto repair tech and his shop manuals are all on-line. He uses a cellular modem to connect to the internet because of our very rural location (it's the fastest way to connect to the internet here).

The problem (s) are that neither the cellular modem nor the on-line manuals are compatible with Windows 8.

I'm either going to have to give him MY laptop to use until both become compatible (how long might that be!) or he has to return his new computer and purchase a windows 7 machine online.

Technology drives me crazy!

We can upgrade the cellular modem to be compatible, but that isn't going to be cheap as he's not far enough into his contract to upgrade at no cost and even if we do that, he still can't get to his manuals because of windows 8.

This bites!

Ugh. This is why I still have Windows XP - I hate the newer Windows operating systems - and its also part of the reason why I switched to Apple. I had a feeling they would pull some sort of crap like Windows 8.

But yeah, I agree with Al. You can put Windows 7 on there instead, so if you have a license for Windows 7 you can use that. Just look up guides on how to do it if you don't know how.

What format are the auto manuals in.

There has to be a way that they can either be converrted to a format that win 8 is compatible with or. . . 

we can find some software that runs on Win 8 that can read the files.

I can sympathise though My company BMW (auto manufacturing) has just switched us over from XP to Windows 7

and a lot of the software that used to run fine on XP now doesn't run properly on Win 7

We have a building full of Software IT techs working on it.

Don't you need the disc? When I purchased my laptop last Jan, Everything was preloaded so I don't have disks.....

Yeah. It should have came with the disk. Usually most laptops/computers you buy when things are preloaded they include the disc with it...in fact, I think they're supposed to include it in case something goes wrong and you need to reinstall the OS.

And Andy - you work for BMW? Awesome - what do you do there?

Edited by SolitaryHowl

Yeah. It should have came with the disk. Usually most laptops/computers you buy when things are preloaded they include the disc with it...in fact, I think they're supposed to include it in case something goes wrong and you need to reinstall the OS.

And Andy - you work for BMW? Awesome - what do you do there?

I work at the BMW Mini factory in Oxford.

We build the Mini 

I work as a Sequence Analyst.

I watch 6 PC's monitoring the flow of bodies through the factory. Ensuring that each car is built at the right time.

Is painted the right colours, and has all the right fixtures and fittings installed as per the customers request.

This article from PCWorld might help.  It, among other things, tells where you can legally download copies of Win 7 DVD's - be advised that's a 3GB download.  If you don't know what the key to your Windows 7 is download the Belarc Advisor which will tell you more than you want to know about your comuter.

There is of course a question of legality - running the new system using the key from the old one - but I'm not adverse to that for personal use.  It's when you start selling copies and your key along with it that I *really* start to question.

How much do I dislike Windows 8 - they have a US$39.99 upgrade price tag on it and, in my mind, it's not worth it.

OK just had a quick look at shopkey.

It's a web based repair manual system by Snap on.

The problem appears to be with Internet Explorer browser older versions 7 and below used to work fine but windows 8 

runs Internet Explorer 10 which for some reason isn't compatible with Shopkey5 something to do with the SVG player and files.

It might be worth your OH installing and trying to run Shopkey in Google Chrome Browser and or Firefox Browser.

Good luck

@Andy

We tried Chrome without success. So called Shopkey............they are totally incompatible with Chrome and Firefox. Thought we'd return this computer and try an Apple......unfortunately they aren't compatible with them either.

Sooooo.......now I'm wondering if we can downgrade the windows 8 on the new computer to windows7. Can this be done?

Shopkey says they "should" be compatible with windows 8 in a couple weeks.........but I think that's like a contractor saying your house will be constructed with completion in January and it finally gets done in May...

AARRG

And thanks for researching shopkey @Andy. certainly appreciated!

You can run a program in compatibility mode... Right click the link, click properties, then click compatibility tab... There will be a list of old versions of software that you can run that program in :) It's worth a try, if you need more help I can grab my laptop and take some screen shots for you :)

Let us know. :3 If not, it's completely possible to downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7 I'm pretty sure. I used to always downgrade Windows Vista to XP, but then again, I've never had to downgrade from an 8 OS so....

I never got disks with my computer either.

I too am sick of companies coming out with new technology. Often when they release a new one they are already working on the next version so you'll buy both rather then adding those features on to the one their releasing. I'm happy to say they haven't sucked me into it all.

IF we get a new modem from the cellular company, it APPEARS it will work.............but then again, who knows.

The son came and hooked up his cell phone to the computer and we could then use ShopKey............so in another $200, this might be resolved. Meanwhile, I've handed over my laptop. AARRG!

From what I read on this its IE 10 thats doing it not windows 8 like Andy said it you can change it down IE 9 will work :)

As for the laptop make sure the id channel number is not set  to high if it is and your phone only goes so high you will never get it to connect ( I know been there :( )