Serious server issues

Marc

Hi Guys,

As most of you will already know, we have been offline for the past 4-5 hours. This was caused by a failure in a main componant at the datacenter (where our host has all its servers, and many other hosts too) and also meant that the backup devices also failed.

I am waiting for confirmation at present as to whether this is a permanant fix, or mearly a temp solution to get the servers back up and running due to many places running businesses from this datacenter. If it is a temp fix then there is a good possibility that some downtime may occur again yet. If this is the case I will try to keep people updated via facebook, and where possible let people know in advance as I have done before.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Marc

I can't get the server companies page to load unless I cache it...

the cached version has this at the top

Updates

Current Update

Thank you for your patience as we work to address the ATS issue with our #2 service entrance. We apologize for the situation and are working as quickly as possible to restore service.

We have determined that the repairs for the ATS will take more time than anticipated, so we are putting into service a backup ATS that we have on-site as part of our emergency recovery plan. We are working with our power team to safely bring the replacement ATS into operation. We will update you as soon as we have an estimated time that the replacement ATS will be online.

Later, once we have repaired the main ATS, we will schedule an update window to transition from the temporary power solution. We will provide advance notice and timelines to minimize any disruption to your business.

Again, we apologize for the loss of connectivity and impact to your business. We are working diligently to get things back online for our customers. Please expect another update within the hour.

@Marc

I can't get the server companies page to load unless I cache it...

the cached version has this at the top

This was a standard message from a couple of hours ago, so its likley they just havent updated it yet .... Which host are you on?

This was a standard message from a couple of hours ago, so its likley they just havent updated it yet .... Which host are you on?

I can't even get the main page to do anything other than load a cached version from google...let alone navigate individual host type things...I'm sure with everything they're dealing with updating their stuff is maybe a lower priority than getting things back online?

yeah cheers mate!

oooo dear is it a big data center with many racks and many different business with a ton of servers? or is it a data center in the sense that 1 fairly powerful physical box, which hosts some virtual machines???

@Marc 's closet? :P

Anyways, glad to see the site back up. I took the down time to get work done, not much work. But a lot of much needed thinking...

I can't even get the main page to do anything other than load a cached version from google...let alone navigate individual host type things...I'm sure with everything they're dealing with updating their stuff is maybe a lower priority than getting things back online?

A lot of hosts are still not back online as of yet, so wouldnt worry

yeah cheers mate!

oooo dear is it a big data center with many racks and many different business with a ton of servers? or is it a data center in the sense that 1 fairly powerful physical box, which hosts some virtual machines???

Virtual machines? LOL ..... Couldnt host this place on virtual .... We're on a fully dedicated machine.

From what I have seen tonight it looks like its a few hundred servers, each of which would be capable of running multiple sites

Virtual machines? LOL ..... Couldnt host this place on virtual .... We're on a fully dedicated machine.

From what I have seen tonight it looks like its a few hundred servers, each of which would be capable of running multiple sites

I bet you could, given the right hardware in the background, some bluechip companies are going over to entirely virtual platform using cloud technologies, ESX / Xen / VMWare etc are efficient at sharing and providing resources to guest machines where required, at work we're having our entire exhange platform virtualised.

I bet you could, given the right hardware in the background, some bluechip companies are going over to entirely virtual platform using cloud technologies, ESX / Xen / VMWare etc are efficient at sharing and providing resources to guest machines where required, at work we're having our entire exhange platform virtualised.

That will mean it has to share its bandwidth, cpu load (2 cores) and the harddisk space (all the photos ever uploaded here are still here!) with other guest VMs. VMs are good for idling servers but this one definitely isn't :D