Introduction

Good evening!

My name is Julia. I am going to be a new husky owner later this week!

It will be a first husky for my husband and I, and we are both very excited. We currently have a 2 year old GSD, Tanner, and are planning to get a female black and white husky pup. She is 11 weeks old, and as soon as she gets her final "all clear" vet check we can go pick her up!

I have been trying to learn all I can about these gorgeous dogs, and hope to get even more information from you experts!

I will probably have some dumb questions at the start, but you can't get anywhere without asking some silly questions, right? :)

If there are any "good to knows" that you don't often find on Husky care websites that I should be aware of (like my husband mentioned you should never yell at a husky?), it would be greatly appreciated!

I want to give our new little girl the best home I can, and knowing the breed is going to be a huge help in that department.

Thanks again, and I'm sure I'll be talking to you all soon!

Of course pictures will be posted as soon as our little girl (we're thinking Sasha for her name) is home!

- Julia

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to the site hope u enjoy it here we have ppl it all diff types ov experience from newbies to the breed like u and myself to ppl who have more than 10 huskies n have bin working/showing or breeding for some time no question is stupid cuz if we dont ask how do we learn!

not sure bout the whole dont shout at them thing where did ur partner hear that?

cnt w8 2 c sum pics ov ur new baby and ov Tanner too! i like the name Sasha :)

hope u enjoy it here and lookin 4ward 2 getting 2 no u and ur dogs :)

Hi Julia,

Welcome to the site, can't wait to see pics of your new sibe, and also of Tanner!

I'm Sammie, we have a 5mth old sibe called Suka, my husband is also on here siberianandy...We are also newbies to the breed, but don't worry, we all have to ask seemingly dumb questions at some point!

Chat to you soon hopefully! :)

Hi Julia,

Welcome to Husky Owners,I look forward to your posts and of course pictures of the liitle lass as soon as you get her :)

Maybe your husband has heard about the " You shout at them and they run" thing ? It is true that Siberians have been bred to work and usually when the human end yells they know it is time to go i.e. pull the sled/rig.scooter/bike.

You will find threads on here about off-lead huskies too ( some other sites/forums will go ape at the mere mention of "Off-Lead",but this one is far superior !) so the best thing to do is look through all the threads,do as much research as possible and get a couple of decent books on Siberian Huskies - and of course,ask the wise and the good on here for anything your not sure of - it is a great community here,it "Husky Howls" in support,but never bites !

Good Luck :)

Kind Regards from Hampshire,

Kevin & Pack

Hiya welcoem to the pack!!

I love the same Sasha !

All silly questions are more than welcome here :D I'm still asking them now lol

Hmmm good things to know .....Don't let them off lead, well unless you want to see them tearing off in the distance lol, They have a mind of their own and will weigh up all the options before carrying out anything.

They chew if left alone as get bored easily - you need to have a think about crate training .... my two boys stay in their crate while i'm at work or if we go out anywhere. On occasion I have let have free roam downstairs but they like to knock everything over and tip my bin up and devour everything inside it lol.

Can't wait to see pictures!!

Look forward to seeing her grow and getting to know you :)

Where abouts are you from?

Bingnblaze - good morning! Not sure where my hubby heard that you shouldn't yell at them, he said they can be very sensitive and yelling can cause them to not want to give you their respect, making it harder to train. So who knows, lol!

Kevin - hello! It wasn't a "yell and they run", it was more "yell and they may not want to pay attention to you" thing. As I said to blingnblaze, no idea where he heard it, and I couldn't find anything on any husky care pages, so I was a bit confused! :D

Sarah - good morning! Crate training is essential to us! Not only do we feel it keeps the dogs safer when they are not being supervised, but it saves our sanity as well, lol. It was fantastic with Tanner, so no reason not to crate train Sasha. I am in happy Cincinnati OH!

And I have some pics of Tanner here : photos.tannerpup.com

(I've been bad and have not put up new pics in awhile, but I will, I promise!)

I will be making Sasha her own page as well as soon as she is home!

Have a wonderful day!!

- Julia

Hi Phoebe, I'm Steve and proud owner of Kiana a 16 week old female black and white sibe.

She is not my first, as I used to own Ishka who sadly passed away in 2003 aged 13, so on and off I have a few years sibe experience. I'm still learning new things everyday and this forum is by far the best Husky forum out there, so, if it wasn't for Sarah and Marc we wouldn't all be here, but I am real glad we are.

Steve

Hello Phoebe and family, welcome to the pack :)

Bet you cant wait to bring Sasha home, she sounds lovely!!! Please ask any questions on here, thats what we are here for :D Like I say, if you never ask, you will never know.

One bit of advise I would give is dont give in to them easily, sibes are very clever at getting their own way so stay firm with her or you may find she will start to rule to house. If you love your garden, alot, then be careful when she is out there as the sibe is a digger.

I'm still learning new things everyday and this forum is by far the best Husky forum out there, so, if it wasn't for Sarah and Marc we wouldn't all be here, but I am real glad we are.

Steve

aww shucks steve :o lol Thank you :D

THose pics are great, can't wait to see some of Sasha :D

Welcome Phoebe, no question is dumb , ask as many as you feel necessary.New owners like us learn from the more experienced on here. Keep a growth chart like MyMukki did , let us see she gets on. good luck with your new puppy.

Hi Julia!

Welcome aboard!!!!... I am from Hubbard, Oh (next to Youngstown!). I am owned by two huskies and if I were to shout to them.. they would just ignore me in retaliation!... hahaha!

Please go ahead and ask away!... the people here are also owned by huskies (many, like me, by more than one!)... you will find someone here that will be able to answer any question you might have!

Can't wait to see photos of you little one!!!!

Sandy

Thanks everyone! I am besides myself waiting for the word that Sasha is ready (she ate something that didn't agree with her and got the runs, so the breeder is holding onto her until that clears up just to make sure we don't start off with a sick puppy).

While I am glad the breeder wants to make sure we get a good healthy pup, at the same time I WANT HER NOW LOL!! :D

Just got word that I should be able to pick Sasha up tomorrow!

They're going to send her home with a few days worth of the "stool hardening pills" she was on just in case, but she seems all better now!

Dunno how I will be able to sleep tonight!