umm how high can huskies jump exactly?

Gankez

ok so i just got my first husky. well we dont have him YET.. he's still at the pound because they wont let me have him until they clip his... well ya know. he's 2-3 years old and the most beautiful dog ive ever seen. what im worried about though is that i wont be able to keep him in the yard... my fence in the back is concrete blocks on 2 sides and wooden planks on the other... problem is it is only around 5'9? i had thought that would be tall enough but the more i read im starting to worry he'll be able to get over. i get him on wednesday and he wont be out playing a whole lot until he heals up. i went to visit him today for a few hours and for a good portion of the time i noticed him constantly looking at the fence... i could be imagining it but it really seemed like he was thinking "now how do i get outta this". at one point he jumped up at the latch ont he gate and put his paw on it lol... so i dunno but what all should i do to help fortify my yard against him running off? i would like to be able to let him go outside and play with the other dogs alone but that doesnt seem to be an option. is he likely to jump the fence with me out there with him?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm - good point and welcome to the forums!

Lots of people on here will give their opinion on this matter. As for how high can a husky jump - im not sure, when i was researching the breed before we got Isis i found contradicting heights - some said 6 ft fence was secure enough and others were saying 8ft fence was the only thing to stop a husky escaping.

However having said that - as Isis is only a pup at the moment she has open access to our yard with our GSD, but more often than not when they are outsid someone is out there with them. Never noticed her looking at the fence as if to eye it up.

They are an intelligent breed and will quickly pick things up on their terms and only their terms, and if they see it a benefit for themselves. So perhaps he saw someone open the gate!

yea the guy who was working there probably opend the gate 10 times lol

well i know im going to have to put up a more solid wooden fence. the current one isnt too sturdy. its nothing he should be able to get around if im keeping an eye on him i guess... and he'll have to jump over 2 sets of 4 foot high fences to get to the part im worried about so i guess we'll see.

thnx for the welcome btw hehe ;) gotta feeling ill be on here quite a bit

im thinking about naming him duke... dunno why but i like it ;)

ill put up some pics when i get home later.. we got a few of him today. but ya i guess ill just have to make sure to keep a close eye on him. the yard is pretty secure except on one side so ill likely be out there putting up a new fence in a few days lol

you and your ferret .. come on you are getting to like it now lol.

lol it was cute but it stunk :eek: :26: its gone now anyway rspca came 2 get it

im thinking about naming him duke... dunno why but i like it ;)

ill put up some pics when i get home later.. we got a few of him today. but ya i guess ill just have to make sure to keep a close eye on him. the yard is pretty secure except on one side so ill likely be out there putting up a new fence in a few days lol

aww Dukes a cool name is he not already named!? Bingo was when we rescued him lol tho i suppose diff rescues will have diff rules cnt w8 2 c pics

as far as i can tell noone there knows his name and it wasnt on any of his papers. i saw one on the internet who was just adorable but i wanted to check our local place before i drove 2 hrs to see if she was still there... id be VERY surprised if she was lol.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8176180

is the dog i saw when i was searching a few days back

They're all different - some are jumpers, some are diggers, some are fence eaters and some are all-three. We had one girl (we called her Sky as she spent most of her time in it) who could jump a 6ft fence without touching the top and an 8ft fence with just a brief touch on the top on her way over. All she did though, was to sit outside the house by the van as if to say, "Can we go for a run dad? Can We? Can We?"

A couple of our others prefer the option of eating through the fence rather than jumping over it (which is why we now have weldmesh on the inside of our fences.

Welcome to the wonderful world of husky ownership!!!

Mick

Welcome to the site, I have lucked out Sakora is not really a jumper, I have had her for 6 months now And no escape attempts, Unless you count me stupidly leavening the gate wide open, then went in the house to make supper, When I came out an hour later for a smoke she was sitting on my deck chewing on a pop bottle and looking at me as if to say " where you been, I've been waiting for ya!

They're all different - some are jumpers, some are diggers, some are fence eaters and some are all-three. We had one girl (we called her Sky as she spent most of her time in it) who could jump a 6ft fence without touching the top and an 8ft fence with just a brief touch on the top on her way over. All she did though, was to sit outside the house by the van as if to say, "Can we go for a run dad? Can We? Can We?"

A couple of our others prefer the option of eating through the fence rather than jumping over it (which is why we now have weldmesh on the inside of our fences.

Welcome to the wonderful world of husky ownership!!!

Mick

mick , this made me chuckle . thanks

Guess you will just have to wait and see which yours is a digger or a jumper, I got 1 of each Saskia trys but cant jump that high where as Wolf can easily clear 6 foot + but is not interested in doing so.

Good luck with him :)

And some are climbers --- you just never know what kind of husky you have until you try to keep it in an enclosure.

They'll test everything you do. You just have to keep your sense of humor as you discover the best way to keep yours inside the enclosure.

I can agree with that! Luckily I aint seen no huskies in trees, yet ;)

but Bandit watches us opening draws and cupboards and now nows how to open them :confused: little bugger

Hellooooo, welcome to the site, can't wait to see some pics, Duke's a lovely name :)

I've got 2 boys, Kimba 12months old) loves digging and isn't interested in jumping unless it's to try and give me a kiss lol

Kaiser (5 months old) copies everything Kimba does so am hoping i'll just end up with lots of husky holes in my lawn as opposed to no huskies at all.

I wouldn't be without my boys at all now, good luck to you, i'm sure you'll enjoy every second, make sure you come back and show us some pics!! :)

Just to let you all know Isis is now a jumper - I believe.

Each and everytime ive let her out today shes cleared our little 3 foot fence which seperates the garden and gone and jumped straight on top of my fish pond - luckily its got a huge metal grid over the top to stop the kids (and now the Husky) from falling into it.

Slightly concerned now though as if she goes to the left on top of my pond the 6 foot fence becomes another 3 foot fence - straight into the neighbours fish pond!