Future tech updates

Marc

Thought it was about time I gave you a bit of an update on what is going on with the technical side of the forum. Not been updating a lot lately and you'll have noticed that development on the skin design pretty much stopped. This has been done for good reason as the forum software will soon be recieving an update although will not change the feel of the forum, will add a fair few new features.

So heres the plan:

Forum Upgrade

• Abilty to reply to status's
  • User Customisable profile pages
  • More advanced search functionality
  • Notifications for more than just PM's. Can be notified on status replies, profile comments, quoted posts and more.
  • Better topic preview functionality
  • Improved facebook integration
  • New twitter integration
  • Link sharing
  • Ability to view all status updates

The gallery will also be recieving an update

Gallery Upgrade

• Album Covers
  • Ability to put albums inside albums
  • Image rotation ability for those 'wonky' photos
  • Better image slideshow
  • Friend only albums
  • Reputation in image comments
  • More friendly links
  • Interface improvements

Blog Upgrade

• THe blogs will be getting abetter feel to their user interface to see if we can get these things off the ground more
  • A "blog this" link will be added to every post so you can instantly blog on a given topic, image etc
  • You will be able to rate every blog entry (you can currently only rate the whole blog or nothing
  • Group blogging - You will notice that we will have blogs for the staff group which any member of staff can blog in. This may then be extended to include other groups of members to blog about specific subjects in which they are interested in.
  • RSS Importing - If you run a blog from elsewhere about huskies and you would like to use it on the site, there will be no need to duplicate it. You can simply copy the RSS Feed link (more blogs have them somewhere) into your blog on here then when you blog on your main blog, it will also be fed into your husky owners blog.

Content Pages

We are very much looking at getting some informational pages onto the site with regards to husky information in general. These will be great links for you to point newer members to in posts for information, places for you to gain information on yourself and maybe even become one of the publishers of the information that husky owners will provide. All in our usual "from an owner to an owner" kind of way, which IMO is a first for pretty much anywhere in the husky world.

Chatroom

The chatroom will be completely changing for a new product that is part of the forum software and so will be completely integrated with the forums software in every way. You will be able to view peoples miniprofiles from the chatroom, pm them from there, go directly to a users posts etc as you can from any other area of the board. On top of this the chatlink at the top of the forum will also contain a number showing how many users are currently chatting, which should encourage more members to click and chat.

Forum looks and design

You will notice that after the above have been completed (quicker than you think) the design will start to become a lot more clean, areas of the forum tidied, glass style buttons added and more to make this place look a lot nicer for all of our users on the forum. This of course will be mirrored throughout all content pages and the above to give the site a totally unified feel.

So basically, I got nothing to do :D LOL

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to the new features and the snazzy new look. . . .

Hope it looks better and works faster on my smartphone too :)

Looking forward to the new features and the snazzy new look. . . .

Hope it looks better and works faster on my smartphone too :)

Actually this is another thing I missed off the above list. I will be adding mobile detection with a new cutdown mobile version of husky owners which will allow it to be opened much faster and use less data.

Actually this is another thing I missed off the above list. I will be adding mobile detection with a new cutdown mobile version of husky owners which will allow it to be opened much faster and use less data.

Whooooo hooooo. . .dances for joy

people at work think i'm a nutter. . Lol:)

Now your just not seein far enough into the future here Tanner.... The glasses have OBVIOUSLY gotta be downloadable via a link that delivers to your house in under 20 seconds

OK have decided that since I will need to sort out the skinning once the forum is updated I thought I would get the general idea of what I was doing before hand and start updating things/getting my head around it now. So for a start tonight I have fully revamped the sidebar so you will notice that it is now in the same colours as the rest of the forum. I have also moved it up slightly so that it is aligned with the top category.

I have also added all the smileys given to us by Brian (Demiurge) and have increased the width of the emoticon pullout list on the right of quickreply so that they can be seen a lot more easily

• 2 weeks later...