Turner and Hooch

Just wanted to say hello to everyone! Our family consists of me my husband two boys ages 5 and 2, Turner our 1 year old terrier mix and Hooch our newly rescued 2 year old husky. My husband grew up with a husky ( she is still alive and kicking at 18 years old) and always wanted another husky. I have never really wanted a husky because I do the housework and I never wanted to clean up all that hair. However a couple weeks ago I was at the pound and saw hooch. I went over and knelled down and It was love at first sight. He sat down for me and gave me his paw. I knew that I had to rescue him. Hooch is finally coming out of his shell. He has been barking and howling and he loves to show his affection. The first week we had him he had been neutered and he had kennel cough. So now I am up for the challenge of hooch. He has slipped out the door twice now and it is so hard to get him back. We have to chase him down in the car and then get out and try to lure him with food. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to train this guy not to bolt for the door?

Thanks!!!

Char

18 years old - wow!!

Hi and welcome to the pack :D

They sound adorable, can't wait to see some pics :)

How is your house laid out? Do you have a porch area? can you pu up a baby gate maybe?

Look forward to seeing you around the site :) feel free to post up any questions :)

Hey welcome to the pack!! Need to see some pics!! lol

Sibes are escape artists, and i doubt you'll ever be able to train him not to run im afraid... my advice would be to keep the door shut lol

Turner and Hooch - excellent :lol: Loved that movie. Welcome to the site. The only advice I can give is to try and be aware of where he is in the house/outside at all times. Before I open a door or gate my first thought is where are the dogs! We live on company property (fruit packing plant) so you can imagine the traffic in front of the house - cars, forklifts, trucks, tractors. The company saw to it that our property would be secure enough for Huskies before we got our first one, by extending the height of the walls and gates, their first dash for freedom could very well be their last. We never relax our guard where gates and door are concerned. I could not live with the consequences.

hi and welcome to the pack im afraid thats a typical husky trait like others have said its really a case of trying to change things in your house like a gate you can spend alot of time teaching them not to bolt when the door opens by putting leads on them and make them sit,lie down or just stay whatever suits and as you open the door tell them 2 stay everytime they go to move close the door if they stay treat them but this does take alot of time and patience and always when you are taking them out go through the door before them never let them go first i hope this helpssmile.gif

hi and welcome to the pack im afraid thats a typical husky trait like others have said its really a case of trying to change things in your house like a gate you can spend alot of time teaching them not to bolt when the door opens by putting leads on them and make them sit,lie down or just stay whatever suits and as you open the door tell them 2 stay everytime they go to move close the door if they stay treat them but this does take alot of time and patience and always when you are taking them out go through the door before them never let them go first i hope this helpssmile.gif

This is pretty much what I was going to advise... Char good to have you here and bless you for taking this lad in!

Not sure about your household set up but I can tell you mine and this works for us...

Firstly we have a baby gate to the hallway entrance before the front door so she cant get out there..

secondly whenever we take her out we always take her out the back door and then the garden gate so this way she is less interested in the front door anyway since she hardly ever goes through it,

then lastly we put in alot of training work with her... in the house she can go through any door she likes BUT when it comes to doors to the outside world she doesn't get through them unless she is sat nicely waiting for an invite and this includes the baby gate since its to an area where she is normally not allowed i.e. the front door and upstairs.

The way we trained her with this is to get plenty of treats (most huskies wont want to do anything for you unless theres food involved, at least at first anyway) and then we'd take her to the door tell her to sit and then open the door, if she moved we'd start again shut the door and get her to sit then when she would stay sat we would go first and then invite her to come through where again we would have her sit nicely on the other side (useful for when you need to lock a door behind you when going out etc), it takes practise but their very smart dogs and as long as you are consistent with them needing to be invited before them get to go through they will usually do it for you after a while... Nukka will now wait till I'm all the way up my stairs before I invite her to follow me (a huge treat as shes normally not allowed) and I'm very proud of her that I can tell her to wait and go out of sight and she will wait till I shout her!! :D

Good luck and if you have any other questions give us a shout! :)