New lady to the family

Rich6115

Welcome to the forum  I've had terriers, borzois, labs, collieX, Utonagans (Husky/Malamute/GSD) etc .........  NOTHING prepared me for a husky  -  the most challenging breed on the planet  - and the most rewarding.    So much personality, a mind of their own (and they use it),  a definite "what's in it for me" attitude when you want them to do something   -  if they feel like doing it they will, if they dont feel like it ..... there's  NOWT you can do about it.

I dont think you will find anyone on the forum who would want any other breed.

Oh,  and they are master escape artists - par excellance.

I LOVE them

so you are new to huskys

you will have a puppy that will sit  roll over  and do most things you train them to do UNTILL  they hit 18 months  of age then all training will go out the window

The husky genes will kink in and you will have a stubborn back talking  furry  monster that makes  your life a living hell , you want to go for a walk   husky will shout yell  grumble  untill it gives in

on the way home  husky will shout yell howl and have every one looking at you thinbking your being mean becuase now husky wants to stay out.  that exspenive toy you just brought home

and gave gave to the husky, will be ripped to shreds and spread over the living room in the time it took you to make a coffee.  Now you have a husky you will have  fur in every thing you cook eat drink

clothing will have to be purchased so fur does not show. guests will start learning to dress down when they visit twice a year your vacuum will choke on enough fur to make 2 more dogs

when its snowing husky will refuse to come inside neighbours will report you for being cruel even though you stand at the door witha  bag of tasty treats begging them to come in so people do not think your mean

whilst the husky is in the cute cuddely fluff ball stage a 10 min walk will take an hour as every stops to make a fuss of them.  Later you will  here   yikes its a wolf, no its noy a husky they have blue eyes,

who is taking who for a walk,  you need to get a sledge,  Your neighbours will get used to the awooo's at all hours

You will get used to having the biggest pain in the butt and most amusing ball of fluff in your life and you will at times wonder what you will do without them and five mins later wish you never got them

a husky is not an easy dog you can not even really call them a dog as you got a HUSKY they are unlike any other breed. they will drive you insane one moment, make you laugh until you nearl wet yourself the next and be a part of your family

In my Sig below you can see we used to have a White GSD, 

GSD's do what you tell them to do,          Huskies do what they want when they want and never what you want them to do.

GSD's can be trained for perfect recall,    Huskies can be trained for unreliable recall in a perfectly safe environment. The moment they are off lead outside they will sod off into the wild blue yonder and either play the chase me game staying just far enough ahead of you that you can't get hold of them or. . . . they will be off and you'll either never see them again or they'll be hit by a vehicle. Never trust your Husky off lead.

GSD's will protect you until their last breath,       Huskies will will watch you get beaten up by schoolgirls then happily go home with them 

Both breeds are affectionate and loving.

Both breeds love long, long, long walks.

On 4/25/2019 at 3:30 PM, PaulG said:

so you are new to huskys

you will have a puppy that will sit  roll over  and do most things you train them to do UNTILL  they hit 18 months  of age then all training will go out the window

The husky genes will kink in and you will have a stubborn back talking  furry  monster that makes  your life a living hell , you want to go for a walk   husky will shout yell  grumble  untill it gives in

on the way home  husky will shout yell howl and have every one looking at you thinbking your being mean becuase now husky wants to stay out.  that exspenive toy you just brought home

and gave gave to the husky, will be ripped to shreds and spread over the living room in the time it took you to make a coffee.  Now you have a husky you will have  fur in every thing you cook eat drink

clothing will have to be purchased so fur does not show. guests will start learning to dress down when they visit twice a year your vacuum will choke on enough fur to make 2 more dogs

when its snowing husky will refuse to come inside neighbours will report you for being cruel even though you stand at the door witha  bag of tasty treats begging them to come in so people do not think your mean

whilst the husky is in the cute cuddely fluff ball stage a 10 min walk will take an hour as every stops to make a fuss of them.  Later you will  here   yikes its a wolf, no its noy a husky they have blue eyes,

who is taking who for a walk,  you need to get a sledge,  Your neighbours will get used to the awooo's at all hours

You will get used to having the biggest pain in the butt and most amusing ball of fluff in your life and you will at times wonder what you will do without them and five mins later wish you never got them

a husky is not an easy dog you can not even really call them a dog as you got a HUSKY they are unlike any other breed. they will drive you insane one moment, make you laugh until you nearl wet yourself the next and be a part of your family

Absolutely spot on although I would point out they are not totally hopeless. Get an escape proof harness hook up to a mountain bike and enjoy the fun. One thing about huskies............they love to run. I bikejor with mine and love every minute of it as do the dogs.

16 hours ago, Andy said:

In my Sig below you can see we used to have a White GSD, 

GSD's do what you tell them to do,          Huskies do what they want when they want and never what you want them to do.

GSD's can be trained for perfect recall,    Huskies can be trained for unreliable recall in a perfectly safe environment. The moment they are off lead outside they will sod off into the wild blue yonder and either play the chase me game staying just far enough ahead of you that you can't get hold of them or. . . . they will be off and you'll either never see them again or they'll be hit by a vehicle. Never trust your Husky off lead.

GSD's will protect you until their last breath,       Huskies will will watch you get beaten up by schoolgirls then happily go home with them 

Both breeds are affectionate and loving.

Both breeds love long, long, long walks.

Ha ha! Enlightening...I have a GSD/husky mix and reading this list, I realized that he is basically a GSD! He is a serious protective obedient guy, walks nicely on the leash and makes a lot of eye contact with me on walks...yep, his GSD genes are dominant!  GSDs may sound “easier” ... but I have dealt with issues like growling and snapping at strangers...that’s no fun...

6 hours ago, Shepsky5 said:

GSDs may sound “easier” ... but I have dealt with issues like growling and snapping at strangers...that’s no fun...

Oh Yeah, Echo was a rescue, she did not like strangers or other dogs coming near. If you were part of her pack then she loved you, but she took the protection seriously and wanted to back other people and dogs away. It was never aggressive just barking and noise.

We had that for 8 years 'till she passed.

Archived