Olaf & Odin (France) - our story, our photography and hiking project

OlafOdin

Hi,

I'm Odin (24 years old french men) and my siberian husky is Olaf, 8 years tomorrow ^^.

I always dreamed about having a dog, specially a siberian husky because I found them really beautiful, and majestic.

So when I was 16 I had my first siberian husky, Olaf (his registered name was Eros), who was just a 7 week old puppy.

And before that of course; I searched a lot about the siberian husky breed : their behaviour and needs etc. I knew siberian husky were what I needed. And I also knew for the moment I've chosen to take him with me that I will be responsible for my dog's life. This means I knew my dog will have to pass before all the rest : school, jobs, time with friends. And it's the most important point for all husky owners in my opinion : you are responsible for the quality of your dog's life : they are all adorable and they are just always happy ! You'll need to keep this, and try to discover new places with your fur friends, and always give them love and carresses. And they will give 100x love in return ! You keep having friends etc, but you can see them with your husky friend, it's more fun. Don't let your dog alone and sad. Play with him, walk, run, bike, and you'll see you and your dog will become ONE. And I think it's amazing.

So I spent my first 3 years being a student and discovering every day new facets of my adorable Olaf, when I think about that time I'm just "damn, time goes fast".

I remember taking him on vacations etc, going to the park every day. It was great.

But then I realized my dog was really my best friend and we both needed to go more and more in Nature, I was literally always with my dog.

I moved for my 3rd university year in Montreal ... and of course I took Olaf with me ! It was awesome, winter is 5 months there so we did lots of skijoering, biking in snow, running etc. And Olaf had lots of husky friends in the dog park =)   .

I went back to France for one year in Marseille (south of france) with Olaf, and we also went to Norway for 1 and a half month together in the 2014's summer, taking train, bus and planes all accross Norway. It was sometimes hard, but amazing. We were just walking south to North country ! I've planned to stay there in northern norway but it was not financiary possible ^^.

... and then I returned to Montreal for a 2 years work permit (2015-2017).

Olaf has found again all his friends and it was also great for me to work in Montreal (more opportunities). But I was alone with my dog in a little appartment, so I was going out 3 hours per day EVERYDAY because it was the minimum for him to be happy ! He doesn't make noise, he is so adorable so it was not a problem but still, he needed his walks !!

So I went back (again) to france with Olaf this year.

Now I really want to start a bigger project with my dog. I want to do backpacking trip with him. Just by walking.

I've been doing some researches and I've planned to go from south of France to north sweden with him by foot, passing by north Italy, Switzerland, Germany/Danmark and then all the Swedish country. There are lots of difficulties with a project like this. Most of them are because I will be on foot, and because of the dog. I've checked for the first part of the trip were are approximatively little markets who sell croquettes etc.

But the most important thing is : material. I need lots of things to do this trip : GPS, good winter (4 season tents), snow shoes, etc and all that with the weight constraint.

I also started doing photography, but not in a amateur way, but professionnal way. I bought some material and I still need to buy a few things (an other lenses, some filters) and I need to buy a Mac & PS& Lighroom.

So my project is the same, but photography will help me telling, describing my adventure with Olaf and my goal is to be able to sell some prints of Olaf pictures in landscape.

If you want to check some of my work, you can see it on my instagram : www.instagram.com/olafofwatsonlake . There are lots of landscape photographer out there, but dogs photographers (in Nature) are not so many (of course dogs and animals are everywhere on instagram and blogs etc, but real landscape photo with dogs, not so much) so I think there is a possibility for me, I mean we all have dreams and I think it's important to try to realize them even if sometimes it seems impossible and unrealistic.

I will be glad to hear some similar projects with your siberian husky whether it's in France, in the US, or any other country in the world !   =)

Olaf & Odin

2.........jpg

.......JPG

Allauch_2015.jpg

........jpg

3.....jpg

..................................JPG

3.jpg

Olaf.MountRoyal_Mtl_2017.jpg

_DSC0564.ARW

IMG_4421_1.jpg

Olaf_2_mois_________11_octobre_2009.JPG

_DSC0581.ARW

...........JPG

.........................................JPG

What a handosme chap you have there.

and some fine adventures you've had and are planning :)

post-1354-0-32160300-1405679619_thumb.jpg

it can be done there is a guy walking the coast of England for a couple chartys with his Inuit dog, he camps out and collects litter on his walk. he will be walking about 18,000 miles give or take (distance of coast depends on the size of te ruler and high/low tide so it varries from 16000 plus to 20,000 plus

Archived