We're new

Ulysses

Hi Guys,

Well my name is vicky, partners name is Si (he'll be on if i'm not) and we have just got a little boy ( only 8 weeks today )!! Sleeping all the time, well until he's actually meant to go to bed that is LOL!!! His name is Ulysses from a cartoon me and si used to watch when we were childern :D

Tryin to crate train him at the mo' but it's soooooooooooo hard, 1st night was great whined for 20 / 30 mins then didnt hear anything from him until 5 / 6 am last night whined for an hour then fell asleep then he woke up at 1am whiping so we were a little silly and have out his crate in our room hoping that he will get used to it and on friday night move him back into the kitchen but we shall see, we did the clock thing and the hot water bottle but ntothing worked!! Getting his Jabs done on saturday 5th Feb and then having to wait for the 2nd will be a nighmare, but looking forward to taking him out for his walks!!

Looking forward toseeing you guys and girls around, to a few meets!!

Vix, Si and Ulysses xxx

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello!!! sounds to me were in the same boat!!!

i got Mallie on friday, have been trying to crate train - with no luck, she had her first jab 2day and her flea tablet, we are paper training her until we can take her out.

she sleeps thru the nite, but only if shes in out room laying next to the bed, i donno about u guys but im rubbish if i dont get my sleep so thats easier for us!

im eastbourne, i think ur the closest so far!! the pups are guna love the beach, cant wait to get her out and about without carrying her all the time!!:D

welcome to the site, Vix, Si & Ulysses :wave:

you have to be very strong willed with a husky or they will run rings around you - if you want him to be crate trained, you will have to persevere with a good few nights crying till he realises who's the boss!! :D

can't wait to see pics of the little fella, xxxx

OK OK!!! sorry it's taken so long, but the pics will be going on today!! he's not getting any better at sleeping in his create thou :( but the whole biting is really getting outta hand any ideas how we can stop this guys and girls :( we say no, we give him toys and everything we know he is teething but it is getting to a point, where he don't wanna listen :( and he jumps up at our faces!!!

Just thougnt i would write this while he is asleep wherehe'snot eating my wire!! LOL!!

Any ideas how we can stop hos behavor will be great.

Vix, Si and Ulysses

OK OK!!! sorry it's taken so long, but the pics will be going on today!! he's not getting any better at sleeping in his create thou sad.gif but the whole biting is really getting outta hand any ideas how we can stop this guys and girls sad.gif we say no, we give him toys and everything we know he is teething but it is getting to a point, where he don't wanna listen sad.gif and he jumps up at our faces!!!

Just thougnt i would write this while he is asleep wherehe'snot eating my wire!! LOL!!

Vix, Si and Ulysses

hi welcome to the pack! yea pics are a must with these lot lol

with the biting if swapping for a toy isnt working try saying no, give him the toy, and stand up, if he still nips turn your back on him, if he STILL nips walk away, if he CARRYS ON then leave the room and shut the door for 5 minutes, almost time a time out.

Dont make a big fuss of him whenever you come in, even if you've been out for a few hours, this will just get him excited and encourage him to jump up and nip. When you 1st come in ignore him until he's calm, dont even make eye contact with him, then reward him with a cuddle or a fuss (a calm one lol) when he calms down :)

My kira was a shit for nipping as a pup, we had recliner chairs and she run in at full speed and grab your feet on the way past!! laugh.gifdry.gif

OK OK!!! sorry it's taken so long, but the pics will be going on today!! he's not getting any better at sleeping in his create thou sad.gif but the whole biting is really getting outta hand any ideas how we can stop this guys and girls sad.gif we say no, we give him toys and everything we know he is teething but it is getting to a point, where he don't wanna listen sad.gif and he jumps up at our faces!!!

Vix, Si and Ulysses

Hi Vix,

If its really bad what Sid says is good but you might want to try ignoring him straight away, dont even tell him no just turn your back completely on him and ignor him as soon as he nips, this sends a very clear message to him that if he nips you he looses your attension, as sometimes even talking to him to tell him no is giving him attention.

The time outs are deffinatly a good idea if he continues even tho your ignoring him if you litterally shut him out of the room your in, it shows him thats not the way to get your attention. Then rember to praise him up calmly and sweetly when hes being good and sweet.

When I play with Nukka she gets excited and starts nipping so I tell her "Finnish" then I change my tone of voice completely to soothing aaawww sounds and tell her "aaww loves" slowly and calmly and stroke her long slow movements so she calms right down till shes being sweet and cuddley that way she learns that when my tone changes its time to be calm now.

Hope that helps! :D

Thanks guys, it's a great help we will def try that, i called a vet to see if i can get his jabs done earlier and for some advise and wen i asked if they had any siberan huskies on the book her response was "why would you want to know that?" "Well cos they are a special breed and need a vet who's deals with them on a regular basis" and her response to me was"a dog is just a dog to us" thought i wasgoing to flip all i said was NO WAY he's my best friend/my child!! and these people want my money to look after my dog YEAH RIGHT!! angry.gif on he up side we have now got the whole toilet situation under hand thank god!!smile.gifbiggrin.gif

Now all we need is the nipping done and i think we will near enough have the perfect puppy. laugh.gif

Hey Vikky and family welcome to the pack :D

Im the one you spoke to on the phone :) When Uly is ready maybe we can meet up sometime for a walk :)

How is he going in the crate now? As for the play biting I found making a puppy whine/cry noise as his littermates would if he was to bite too hard and then stopped whatever we was doing (i.e. playing/fussing, etc).

Feel free to ask any questions and also LOADS of photos :D

Hey Vikky and family welcome to the pack biggrin.gif

Im the one you spoke to on the phone smile.gif When Uly is ready maybe we can meet up sometime for a walk smile.gif

How is he going in the crate now? As for the play biting I found making a puppy whine/cry noise as his littermates would if he was to bite too hard and then stopped whatever we was doing (i.e. playing/fussing, etc).

Feel free to ask any questions and also LOADS of photos biggrin.gif

Hi ya,

Tried that he dont wanna know just things it fun to nip harder or in a diff place, some people (not here ) have told me to bite him back to how that i'm one of the pack leaders but i dont think i can do that!!

He's having his first Jab on Friday morning, then i have to wait another week then we can def meet for his walk, will be nice to get him out the house i can't even let him have a run in the little garden i have cos we get foxes over here!! (live near the airport)

I'll get more photo's as and wen i can he's either chewing my hand, or sleeping, or running round like a loon!! LOL!

Crate training is getting there he has bit of a whine most night but we have found that if we shatter him out before 10pm then let him fall asleep on thr floor near our feet, wecan then out him in his cage and won't hear anythingfrom him till 6.45am although today (04/02/2009) i wasa woken to him being sick unsure.gif poor little boy!! Seems to be ok now thou running about like nothing happened laugh.gif

Vix and Uly has he is jumping on my laptop!!!

Welcome to the site, what a cool name, yeah i used to watch that show i tried to get it on dvd to try and refresh my memory but looks like the deleted it, looks like it gotta be ebay lol. Look forward to seeing pics and will see ya all around biggrin.gif

hey,

I only remembered it from having a bit of a childish day (b4 xmas) looking though YouTube and you'll find them that way, they have all the epsiode biggrin.gif watched a load or other kids t.v from the 80's but Ulysses is so different that it kinda stuck everyone (not husky owners) seems to have the same kinda name for the same kinda dog that's why i love huskies they are so different you never get one that is the same biggrin.gif

Hi ya,

Tried that he dont wanna know just things it fun to nip harder or in a diff place, some people (not here ) have told me to bite him back to how that i'm one of the pack leaders but i dont think i can do that!!

He's having his first Jab on Friday morning, then i have to wait another week then we can def meet for his walk, will be nice to get him out the house i can't even let him have a run in the little garden i have cos we get foxes over here!! (live near the airport)

I'll get more photo's as and wen i can he's either chewing my hand, or sleeping, or running round like a loon!! LOL!

Crate training is getting there he has bit of a whine most night but we have found that if we shatter him out before 10pm then let him fall asleep on thr floor near our feet, wecan then out him in his cage and won't hear anythingfrom him till 6.45am although today (04/02/2009) i wasa woken to him being sick unsure.gif poor little boy!! Seems to be ok now thou running about like nothing happened laugh.gif

Vix and Uly has he is jumping on my laptop!!!

hmmm never heard of biting them back huh.gif not sure if that would be a good idea as you could also teach Uly that it's ok for him to do it.

Do the foxes come into your whole garden or stay at one end of the garden? We get foxes come into our garden now and then but they stay at the top end of the garden so when they where young we used some cheap stock fencing (like chicken wire but stronger) to section off an area of the garden for the boys to go and be kept away from the foxes. When you go to the vet if you mention that you have foxes come into your garden they should be able to recommend you a flea and wormer which will help prevent against internal and external parasite including those carried by foxes.

When we first meet we can bring our 3 but let Uly meet them one at a time so its not too overpowering for him before we go for a walk together. Will PM you my mobile number then you can give me a ring or a text when Uly is able to go for walks and we can arrange a time and place to meet up :)

Hey ya Vix, Si & Furbaby Ulysses wave.gif

Welcome to the pack!! Hope you enjoy the site and make lots of friends chatting about this fantastic Breed biggrin.gif Look forward to seeing you around the forum and hearing all about furbaby Ulysses biggrin.gif x x x x x

Don't worry i'm here most nights trying to figure out how to train and just learning more about the breed!!! def see you about in person toowill try to get to as many meets as i can!!

Vix, Si and furbaby Uly x